• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to OC'ing. AMD Rig Please Help..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DarkHost

Yes I'm new to overclocking and I just feel so lost.. I mainly play one game but I live stream at the same time. My Bandwidth is great but I'd like to get more out of my CPU and everything else. I built my rig not even 3 weeks ago. My PC specs as follows:

CPU - AMD FX-6300 Black Edition
CPU Cooler - Enermax ETS-T40-BK Black 120mm Twister
MB - ASUS M5A97 R2.0 970 AM3+
GPU -Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 1gb
PSU - Rosewill RD700 700w
RAM - G.Skill RipJaws 8gb DDR3 1600
HDD - 1T
CASE - Mana 136

The settings I play on ingame is only in "Good" but would like to be on "High or Ultra" with or w/out live streaming. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Your motherboard may limit you to very mild overclocking or none at all.

The first task would be to download and install these three helper programs: HWMonitor, CPU-z and Prime95. You need to stress the system under 100% load to see what kind of "package" and "CPU" temps you get before you attempt to overclock.

Open HWMonitor on your desktop and leave it open while you run a 20 minute stress test with Prime 95 - the "blend" test. Make sure you adjust the HWMonitor frame so as to be able to see "package" temp. Before you close HWMonitor make sure you capture it's image and save it to disk for uploading with your next post. This stress testing and temp monitoring exercise will reveal how much headroom for overclocking you might have from a temperature perspective as overclocking makes things run hotter.

Makes answering about overclocking an AMD cpu easier.

In bios disable C1/E, C6, Cool N Quiet, TurboCore (if there), Disable APM and in windows power manager set to "performance mode". Then do as below.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU Core Temps; which are n0w called Package Temps, fully visible.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

How to actually attach images to the forum and not use a link to some outside location where image is stored. Store the image within the forum.
attachment.php

You can attach more than 3 pics at one time by going back up to browse another file and uploading it.

To upload screenshot images to the forum, firs realize we do not want a picture of your whole desktop, just the relevant parts. So crop the images before capturing. Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories is great for this.

Then, click on the Go Advanced button at the bottom of any new post window. When the Advanced Post window appears, click on the little paperclip icon at the top. This will bring up the file browser/upload tool and the rest will be obvious. You can upload as many as three images at a time and can also add more to the same post later by Editing the post.

Im gonna say it. Please don't overclock on that board!!!!! Make sure your bios is up to date as well. MILD overclocking should be your goal at best, even then, I wouldnt hold your breath too much.

Im really not trying to be a buzz kill, I am simply trying to look out for your best interest. Keep it stock and save up for a new mobo in my opinion.

Im gonna say it. Please don't overclock on that board!!!!! Make sure your bios is up to date as well. MILD overclocking should be your goal at best, even then, I wouldnt hold your breath too much.

Im really not trying to be a buzz kill, I am simply trying to look out for your best interest. Keep it stock and save up for a new mobo in my opinion.

:rofl:

He hasn't even fried this board yet!

It'll OC. The Bios even comes with options and everything....

Perhaps some precautions would be ideal. Proper cooling and average OC's based on what we already know. 4.4ghz-4.6ghz on air is very common place with good to great air flow. Typical multiplier overclocks are easy to come by.

Just be sure the VRM area is well cooled. Put a fan on em"

I would overclock on that board, just not extreme, it supports 8 core cpu's so a 6300 overclocked a bit should be fine, and it looks like it has coolers on the fets so I would take it for a drive and see how it goes

what game do you play the most? most games are gpu depenent so most likely your good to go and a mild overclock is all you will need.
I have two of the 7770 cards and they really do quite well for the money.

Back