• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to overclocking: Have some questions about my 6300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hey there RGone - thank you so much for your lengthy lesson on LLC. I have now disabled LLC in my bois and have vcore set to 1.45v, but when testing with P95, HWmonitor was displaying a max voltage of 1.536!? The most voltage I can put to my CPU is 1.55 so I really dont feel comfortable having spikes of nearly 1.54 going to the cpu under load. Maybe I am over-reacting, I dont know, because this is my first OC. But I DO know that I do not want to burn out my cpu by putting too much voltage to it. Im guessing maybe I should fall back on the vcore a bit so the spikes wont be so high? Or could this possibly be a case of the software displaying a funky number?

No its probably right since the motherboard doesn't have very well tuned LLC settings. The point of starting so high was to get you up to the overclock you want. The next step is to step your vCore down until you find your lower point. Test then lower vCore, repeat until test fails then go one bump higher.

BTW, should I change any FSB, HT Link, or NB settings? Right now everything is set to stock.

You will change those things at a later point, right now lets figure out what your CPUs voltage requirements for your target speed.

You will change those things at a later point, right now lets figure out what your CPUs voltage requirements for your target speed.

OK, currently running P95 test, I'm about 10 minutes in, going to let it run for another 15. Right now running at 1.4v at 4.3ghz. Min voltage is 0.896 and max is 1.496. Seems to be running very stable ATM, temps are pretty decent too. Will post screenshots when test is done.

Here are the screen shots from my 4.3ghz 20 minute P95 test. Max temp hit 58C, but only stayed there for maybe 5 seconds, then quickly started cooling back down to around 52-54. Going to try a 4.4ghz test now, im thinking i may have to bump up the vcore soon, bios is still set to 1.4 with llc disabled

Attachments

• 4300.jpg
    4300.jpg
    497.6 KB · Views: 92
  • 4300(2).jpg
    4300(2).jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 90
Now trying to hit 4.4ghz, ive had to bump up the vcore 3 times because of a core dropping out on p95 after a few minutes. vcore is set in bios now to 1.4375, but hwmonitor is reporting voltage maxing out at 1.528... is this voltage starting to get too high?

So I ran P95 at 4.4Ghz with 1.4375 vcore, and ran for 20 minutes with no error, freezes or anything. But as the 20 minute mark came about, and I sat down to look at the temps, I noticed something weird in CPUZ that ive never seen it do before.... while looking at the core speed, it would run at 4400.00mhz like its supposed to, but then it would switch to 1700mhz for a few seconds, then back to 4400 again, then back to 1700, and it kept doing it while I sat there and watched it for about 2 minutes. The multiplier value would also change along with the core speed. multiplier value would change from 22.0x to 14.0x at the same time the core speed changed. Is this a sign I'm trying to take this too far? Does it need more vcore? The only time I've seen this happen is since I tried pushing the 4.4ghz mark... its never done that before when i was pushing 4.2-4.3ghz.

If you re-read post #14 again, the answer to what is happening now is likely written there. Link to post #14 below.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7385500&postcount=14

1. His mobo with LLC off upped the Vcore under load by about 0.05. Yours is upping by about 0.08 but is "acting" wonky just like his did. Not like LLC is expected to act.

2. He said his board set to LLC Auto, that his 1.4 Vcore dropped to about 1.33V when under load and that is not good and not what LLC should do. Not a good LLC circuit anyway.

3. So you got LLC on and Vcore drops my almost 0.07 on another users board. No idea how much yours drops. Probably somewhere in the range. Another user has LLC off and the Vcore raise under load was 0.05 but heck yours jumps a whopping 0.08 almost and that is shett.

4. Now comes the kick my butt part where he wrote this about his board.
-my max oc on this board with my fx-6100 is 4.5ghz at 1.45v, any higher on voltage and the vrm will throttle, so it does have vrm protection.

So since your board "partially" mimics that other user's mobo to an extent and now that you haved raised your Vcore to 'nearly' but not quite the 1.45V that he talked about...your dang board has started having the VRM circuit throttle the cpu up and down to try and save the cheap board. About as I see without the board hooked to my keyboard. RGone...

The Ext3 is just not up to the task of pushing that 6300 to 4.5GHz. If you don't want to buy a new motherboard, I suggest going with 4.3GHz (or the last max stable that you had), and focus on CPU-NB and memory tweaking for the best performance you can get. I doubt you will miss those 200MHz anyway.

The Ext3 is just not up to the task of pushing that 6300 to 4.5GHz. If you don't want to buy a new motherboard, I suggest going with 4.3GHz (or the last max stable that you had), and focus on CPU-NB and memory tweaking for the best performance you can get. I doubt you will miss those 200MHz anyway.

I'm perfectly fine sticking with my stable 4.3.... how would i go about tweaking the NB and memory for optimal performance? ive got my memory timing clocked in correctly, so i dont know where to go further from that, nor do i know what settings i should set the NB or FSB at to go a bit further.

Need to see CPUz CPU Tab and CPUz Memory Tab AT the 4.3Ghz you said 'was' stable. Your memory is already or was running at DDR1600 which is what your ram is rated to run. But without the two other screen shots we always ask for it is not possible to know what CPU_NB and HT Frequency is running. No idea if they can go up although can say that the default speed of the HT Frequency is 2600 but I seldom run that exact speed.

I would urge you to try running 220x20 as a config. I know that 4.4 was requiring a bit more volts than you wanted but with the lower multi and the same volts it might not hammer the CPU as badly. This will overclock your RAM to about 1720Mhz trust me the ICM can deal with it. You should start with a CPU-NB and HT multiplier of x10 which will clock them at ~2200mhz. You should do a quick stability test ~10 mins, and then kick the multiplier up to 11 this will give you 2420Mhz which is right in the sweet spot on CPU-NB and HT speeds IMO.

Voltages, you will need to adjust some voltages to run this. Set your CPU vCore to whatever you saw stability at before. CPU-NB give this a +0.05v bump on my gigabyte boards thats 2 notches, yours Im not sure. HT is rated for 2600 dont bother changing it. VDDR / DRAM Voltage should be set to +0.025v - +0.050v you can lower these later but for now lets set them to a safe voltage to eliminate them as an issue.

Give that a whirl and let us know how it goes.

Last edited:
Here are the two screenshots you asked for. I took them right at the end of a 20 minutes prim95 blend test. Where can we go from here?

Attachments

• stable43.jpg
    stable43.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 85
  • stablemem.jpg
    stablemem.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 86
I would urge you to try running 220x20 as a config. I know that 4.4 was requiring a bit more volts than you wanted but with the lower multi and the same volts it might not hammer the CPU as badly. This will overclock your RAM to about 1720Mhz trust me the ICM can deal with it. You should start with a CPU-NB and HT multiplier of x10 which will clock them at ~2100mhz. You should do a quick stability test ~10 mins, and then kick the multiplier up to 11 this will give you 2420Mhz which is right in the sweet spot on CPU-NB and HT speeds IMO.

Voltages, you will need to adjust some voltages to run this. Set your CPU vCore to whatever you saw stability at before. CPU-NB give this a +0.05v bump on my gigabyte boards thats 2 notches, yours Im not sure. HT is rated for 2600 dont bother changing it. VDDR / DRAM Voltage should be set to +0.025v - +0.050v you can lower these later but for now lets set them to a safe voltage to eliminate them as an issue.

Give that a whirl and let us know how it goes.
I did not see your post until after I posted those screens. What do you mean go 220x20? If I did all of that, what range do you think i would be at as far as ghz? will have to try this tomorrow evening after work. thanks for all your help guys, please, keep it coming.

If you are going to up FSB/CPU Frequency, then the CPU_NB is going to rise to 2200Mhz. Your HT Freq will also rise but to only 2200 as well. Might bumping up the HT multplier by one step so it is closer to 2600Mhz.

220 as the FSB/HTT/BCLK/CPU speed setting. The x20 bit is the CPU multiplier. 220x20 = 4.4Ghz CPU, 1720Mhz RAM, 2420 CPU-NB(with x11), 2420 HT link(with x11).

220 as the FSB/HTT/BCLK/CPU speed setting. The x20 bit is the CPU multiplier. 220x20 = 4.4Ghz CPU, 1720Mhz RAM, 2420 CPU-NB(with x11), 2420 HT link(with x11).

He is on the 10x now so he needs to know to change those two buss frequency multipliers to 11x..

RGone...

start with a CPU-NB and HT multiplier of x10 which will clock them at ~2200mhz. You should do a quick stability test ~10 mins, and then kick the multiplier up to 11 this will give you 2420Mhz which is right in the sweet spot on CPU-NB and HT speeds IMO.

Not tryin to diss you RGone we both know our stuffs, but I did mention that fact twice.

@op let us know how it goes when you have more time. Your kinda getting the crash course in tweaking tonight, for furtner READING CHECK HERE

Its a little out of date but most of the techniques are still relevant.

Last edited:
Shoot man I know you know your stuff and what you told him. I was just looking and the normal default for the HT Freq is 2600 and he has 2000, so to get what he needs he will have to actually make that physical change. What I said was not 'really' for you but as emphasis to what you were coaching.

I be leave you guys to it. I don't know that I have ever seen you off-base "ssjwizard" so I am over and out. Luck men.
RGone...

Back