• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to overclocking: Have some questions about my 6300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Is the HT Frequency linked to the motherboard chipset by chance? For instance, could it be that on a 990 series chipset the HT will be ~2400-2600 by default?

Yes, a 990 chipset board with an FX CPU should do 2600 HT frequency by default.

I would urge you to try running 220x20 as a config. I know that 4.4 was requiring a bit more volts than you wanted but with the lower multi and the same volts it might not hammer the CPU as badly. This will overclock your RAM to about 1720Mhz trust me the ICM can deal with it. You should start with a CPU-NB and HT multiplier of x10 which will clock them at ~2200mhz. You should do a quick stability test ~10 mins, and then kick the multiplier up to 11 this will give you 2420Mhz which is right in the sweet spot on CPU-NB and HT speeds IMO.

Voltages, you will need to adjust some voltages to run this. Set your CPU vCore to whatever you saw stability at before. CPU-NB give this a +0.05v bump on my gigabyte boards thats 2 notches, yours Im not sure. HT is rated for 2600 dont bother changing it. VDDR / DRAM Voltage should be set to +0.025v - +0.050v you can lower these later but for now lets set them to a safe voltage to eliminate them as an issue.

Give that a whirl and let us know how it goes.
I was able to change NB frequency multiplier to x11 2200mhz, CPU NB voltage is set to 1.1875 by default, so what should I change that to? Also I don't think I can change HT to 220, because the only options for it are 200 then it bumps up to 400, it is set to Auto right now, because I don't know what to change it to. Also when I scroll down in my bios I come to another Voltage Config. menu and there are some more options there for DRAM, NB, HT, CPU VDDA, and PCIE VDDA voltages... They are all set to Auto as of right now, I have a feeling they should be changed, but I do not know what values to set them at. Any help would be greatly appreciated so I can start to work on these NB and HT numbers to increase my overall OC. Thanks

Im looking up your user manual right now, Ill revise those instructions when I get done looking over the terms used by your board.

Ok so when I said 220 thats your CPU Frequency as far as I can make out from the manual.
the X20 part is CPU multiplier

To set your HT speed to an x11 multiplier you need to set it to "2200"
Your CPU-NB speed is set by multiplier to x11.

For voltages try 1.25 for CPU-NB and leave HT voltage at stock. DRAM set it to +0.05v over whatever the stock is, so if its 1.5v set it to 1.55v or 1.6v set it to 1.65 etc.

CPU vCore is going to be whatever voltage you ran stable for 4.3 or 4.4Ghz, your going to need to play around with this.

Last edited:
Went ahead and followed your directions. Ran a P95 test for around 10-12 minutes and here are the results. Do these voltages need to remain high like this or can i start dwindling down little by little to find the sweet spot?

Attachments

• 43tweak.jpg
    43tweak.jpg
    600.1 KB · Views: 95
  • 43tweak2.jpg
    43tweak2.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 91
  • 43tweak3.jpg
    43tweak3.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 90
  • 43tweak4.jpg
    43tweak4.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 89
ssjwizard wrote for you to >> To set your HT speed to an x11 multiplier you need to set it to "2200" and Your CPU-NB speed is set by multiplier to x11.

I can look at your screen captures and see you DID that.

ssjwizard wrote for you to >> For voltages try 1.25 for CPU-NB and leave HT voltage at stock. DRAM set it to +0.05v over whatever the stock is, so if its 1.5v set it to 1.55v or 1.6v set it to 1.65 etc.

I cannot look at your screen captures and see IF you did that. Did you?

ssjwizard has tried to get you to >> Ok so when I said 220 thats your CPU Frequency as far as I can make out from the manual.

As far back as posts on page two of this thread he has tried to get you to set the bios setting that FSB or CPU Frequency or whatever your bios calls that setting, to set it to 220 and not the stock 200 it is set to now.

AND to drop the cpu ratio or cpu multiplier from 21.5 to 20. DOING so would make the cpu speed 4.4Ghz. It should make the CPU_NB equal to 2420Mhz and the HT Frequency equal to 2420Mhz also. Your ram would also move up to DDR1760 and read as 880 in the CPUz Memory tab and the reading Named DRAM Frequency.

IF and it really comes down to you doing those things exactly as stated, ssjwizard hoped to get you neatly to 4.4Ghz and he expected P95 Blend Stable without changing the Vcore setting any or not at all but leaving it right where it is curently. He also expected that Temps for CPU and Package might remain the same as now and certainly not go much higher.

What he has tried to get you to set is exactly how I would set it up on that mobo which has LLC acting so crazy and is likely going to be a pure pain in the rear to get beyond 4.4Ghz but you may well get to 4.4Ghz with what ssjwizard as advised that you do. THEN if using his suggestions exactly and testing P95 Blend for at least 20 mins and posting the 4 needed captures. He will know what is what and maybe but not necessarily you could lower Vcore by some small amount.
RGone....

ssjwizard wrote for you to >> To set your HT speed to an x11 multiplier you need to set it to "2200" and Your CPU-NB speed is set by multiplier to x11.

I can look at your screen captures and see you DID that.

ssjwizard wrote for you to >> For voltages try 1.25 for CPU-NB and leave HT voltage at stock. DRAM set it to +0.05v over whatever the stock is, so if its 1.5v set it to 1.55v or 1.6v set it to 1.65 etc.

I cannot look at your screen captures and see IF you did that. Did you?

ssjwizard has tried to get you to >> Ok so when I said 220 thats your CPU Frequency as far as I can make out from the manual.

As far back as posts on page two of this thread he has tried to get you to set the bios setting that FSB or CPU Frequency or whatever your bios calls that setting, to set it to 220 and not the stock 200 it is set to now.

AND to drop the cpu ratio or cpu multiplier from 21.5 to 20. DOING so would make the cpu speed 4.4Ghz. It should make the CPU_NB equal to 2420Mhz and the HT Frequency equal to 2420Mhz also. Your ram would also move up to DDR1760 and read as 880 in the CPUz Memory tab and the reading Named DRAM Frequency.

IF and it really comes down to you doing those things exactly as stated, ssjwizard hoped to get you neatly to 4.4Ghz and he expected P95 Blend Stable without changing the Vcore setting any or not at all but leaving it right where it is curently. He also expected that Temps for CPU and Package might remain the same as now and certainly not go much higher.

What he has tried to get you to set is exactly how I would set it up on that mobo which has LLC acting so crazy and is likely going to be a pure pain in the rear to get beyond 4.4Ghz but you may well get to 4.4Ghz with what ssjwizard as advised that you do. THEN if using his suggestions exactly and testing P95 Blend for at least 20 mins and posting the 4 needed captures. He will know what is what and maybe but not necessarily you could lower Vcore by some small amount.
RGone....

Yes, I changed the CPU NB Voltage to 1.25 as well as the NB Voltage in the other voltage menu. Did not change HT voltage at all, left it at stock. Also upped the DRAM voltage from 1.5 to 1.55v. I did not know the 220 was the CPU Freq., that is why I had not changed it. I just now found the setting, its under the "Overclock Mode" setting, and it was on Auto, once I changed it to Manual, it brought up another menu with CPU Freq, and PCIE Freq, I believe it was. I changed CPU freq was 200, to 220. And then changed my multiplier from 21.5 (4300ghz) back down to 20x (4.0ghz.) Doing all of this caused me not even to be able to boot to windows. I would get stuck at the BIOS splash screen, or sometimes not even get there at all. Sometimes the computer wouldnt even boot to bios. The monitor would just display nothing at all. I dont know what could be causing this... but luckily I was able to get into my BIOS setup after trying about 10 times and was successfully able to restore BIOS settings to default, and was able to get into windows again. Although I've noticed that since starting to OC my boot times have been considerably longer. Completely stock settings after building this PC, it would display the boot splash screen for maybe 1 second and then boot into windows in about another 5 seconds. Now it stays on the boot splash screen for around 10-15 seconds, and then takes another 5 seconds to boot into windows. Even now when I restored all bios to stock, it is still taking considerably longer than when the PC was first assembled 3 weeks ago. Any suggestions on how to get these settings to work properly? I've still got my stable 4.3 profile saved in my bios so I can load that at any time and start tweaking from there again.

When you set the CPU multiplier and these other settings did you make sure the CPU voltage was set to whatever you need for 4.3v?

Yes, I did not touch the cpu voltage at all, it was still at 1.4 which was totally stable when running at 4.3ghz

Your ram would also move up to DDR1760 and read as 880 in the CPUz Memory tab and the reading Named DRAM Frequency. = Your ram would clock to that speed unless it were put on a lower multplier so that 220FSB did not raise it to DDR1760. My DDR1600 ram will easily do DDR1866, but yours might not do the extra speed.

1. You could set up like ssjwizard suggested BUT lower the ram speed. Everything else as was suggested. See if the 4.4Ghz is doable then.

2. Do as number 1 above and add Vcore since it may need a little more.

3. Clear the CMOS and load your saved 4.3Ghz profile settings and enjoy your speed, since going any further on that EXT3 board is going to take a lot of work at your end. Trial and error with mostly Vcore raising and CPU_LLC testing.

4. Have you a more powerful power supply you can test with. There have been a few and I mean only a few that have had power supplies that are sort of medium strength that just could not put out enough stable +12V to satisfy a clocked FX processor. I repeat this is not happening every day by any means.

5. And then there is that Visehera cpu that just will not clock up there. I have not seen this on top of the line motherboards yet, but if yours just quits before 4.5Ghz, then you make the fourth one here in 3 weeks on cheap board that nothing we can think of will get the cpu to push on up. One of those moved to a much better 990FXSabertooth mob and is now testing his FX-6300 to 4.8Ghz and beyond last he said anything.

So you got trial and error testing and a lot of it to do or like it where you are.

Your motherboard frustrates me.... Im participating in 4 threads involving the same cpu and board combo you have(newegg must be making out on that deal), and after finally downloading and reading the stupid manual I can still barely make sense of some its its behaviors. Lets have a go at this from a more progressive angle.

Try setting 220 "CPU frequency" which I will refer to as HTT from now on.

We need to make sure the motherboard isnt playing any tricks on us now, so set the RAM back up to 1.55v, push the CPU-NB to 1.3v, and set the HT to 1.3v also. Some of these are probably overshoots but lets just get to a position where we can work from.

Now leave your LLC setting at disabled(I think we covered that in this thread...) and set your CPU vCore to 1.4v which is what you were working with before.

Now last lets set the DRAM multiplier to 1333 speed , the HT bus speed to 2200 or x11 whichever you have, the CPU-NB to 2200 or x11 whichever you have, and the CPU multiplier to x17 which your CPU should happily run at those speeds/voltages if your motherboard decides to cooperate.

Now that we know about what to expect from your CPU alone we want to work through the fine tuning aspects of overclocking. This should eliminate RAM or CPU speed as a potential issue and let us focus on the other bits.

Once you verify that the CPU-NB and HT clockspeeds line up and dont cause crashes we want to jump your RAM up to the suggested 1600 multiplier which should result in DDR3-1760 ish speed. Do a quick stability check on it and your back after the CPU again.

Increase by full multipliers(I have never liked half multis, how does a CPU do half of something?) one at a time with 20 mins P95. When you get it back up to the 4.2Ghz range you probably want to do a longer test to see if your going to need more vCore and what your CPU temps look like.

Good luck!

1. You could set up like ssjwizard suggested BUT lower the ram speed. Everything else as was suggested. See if the 4.4Ghz is doable then.

So you got trial and error testing and a lot of it to do or like it where you are.

+1 to all of this

Your ram would also move up to DDR1760 and read as 880 in the CPUz Memory tab and the reading Named DRAM Frequency. = Your ram would clock to that speed unless it were put on a lower multplier so that 220FSB did not raise it to DDR1760. My DDR1600 ram will easily do DDR1866, but yours might not do the extra speed.

3. Clear the CMOS and load your saved 4.3Ghz profile settings and enjoy your speed, since going any further on that EXT3 board is going to take a lot of work at your end. Trial and error with mostly Vcore raising and CPU_LLC testing.

4. Have you a more powerful power supply you can test with. There have been a few and I mean only a few that have had power supplies that are sort of medium strength that just could not put out enough stable +12V to satisfy a clocked FX processor. I repeat this is not happening every day by any means.

5. And then there is that Visehera cpu that just will not clock up there. I have not seen this on top of the line motherboards yet, but if yours just quits before 4.5Ghz, then you make the fourth one here in 3 weeks on cheap board that nothing we can think of will get the cpu to push on up. One of those moved to a much better 990FXSabertooth mob and is now testing his FX-6300 to 4.8Ghz and beyond last he said anything.

Changing the options to what he suggested DID change the RAM to 1760, I saw it in the BIOS... but like I said i was never able to actually boot into windows with the suggested settings... i could barely even get back into my bios. after trying 10 times i was able to get into the bios (like i said earlier) and was able to restore to default.. but at that time i also saw the ram had changed from 1600 to 1760. the reason why u never saw the bus freq changed in the screen caps is because after changing it to those settings i was never able to get the computer to boot again.

Ben62884, did you see what ssjwizard said in his post #51? He is trying to work you thru a sequence that points to where the board is acting a fool.

When you can hardly get back in bios it has been my experience that the ram was way off or out of range. So I suggested setting the ram to a lower mulitplier.

However skip most of what I am saying now and go up to post #51 and see if you and ssjwizard work thru the roughness of the board.
RGone...

Your motherboard frustrates me.... Im participating in 4 threads involving the same cpu and board combo you have(newegg must be making out on that deal), and after finally downloading and reading the stupid manual I can still barely make sense of some its its behaviors. Lets have a go at this from a more progressive angle.

Try setting 220 "CPU frequency" which I will refer to as HTT from now on.

We need to make sure the motherboard isnt playing any tricks on us now, so set the RAM back up to 1.55v, push the CPU-NB to 1.3v, and set the HT to 1.3v also. Some of these are probably overshoots but lets just get to a position where we can work from.

Now leave your LLC setting at disabled(I think we covered that in this thread...) and set your CPU vCore to 1.4v which is what you were working with before.

Now last lets set the DRAM multiplier to 1333 speed , the HT bus speed to 2200 or x11 whichever you have, the CPU-NB to 2200 or x11 whichever you have, and the CPU multiplier to x17 which your CPU should happily run at those speeds/voltages if your motherboard decides to cooperate.

Now that we know about what to expect from your CPU alone we want to work through the fine tuning aspects of overclocking. This should eliminate RAM or CPU speed as a potential issue and let us focus on the other bits.

Once you verify that the CPU-NB and HT clockspeeds line up and dont cause crashes we want to jump your RAM up to the suggested 1600 multiplier which should result in DDR3-1760 ish speed. Do a quick stability check on it and your back after the CPU again.

Increase by full multipliers(I have never liked half multis, how does a CPU do half of something?) one at a time with 20 mins P95. When you get it back up to the 4.2Ghz range you probably want to do a longer test to see if your going to need more vCore and what your CPU temps look like.

Good luck!

+1 to all of this
OK, I believe I've gotten everything done that you asked me to do. I lowered the CPU mult, lowered the ram freq, upped the ht voltage, nb voltage, nb cpu voltaage, and changed cpu freq. Here are the screen shots after a 46 minute P95 test. No errors, freezes, or anything. And temps look pretty damn good too. Now where should we go next?

Attachments

• new.jpg
    new.jpg
    388.2 KB · Views: 88
  • new2.jpg
    new2.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 85
  • new3.jpg
    new3.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 85
  • new4.jpg
    new4.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 86
You quoted what he said to do next.
ssjwizard said:

Good luck!

Is this with your board set to 1.4 vCore, because your max volts is way lower than that.. It kinda looks like you didnt have HW mon running the whole time that you ran P95 which is important so we can see the real max temp you hit. Not all calculations are equal and certain ones will get the chip hotter than others.

Also your motherboards LLC setting what do you have it at? We have recently found that the circuit is programmed to behave in an unusual way with these lower model Asrock motherboards. We found that setting it to disabled actually makes it work correctly :shrug:

The next step would be to try and get the CPU voltage into the 1.425v range as the max and see where that takes us next. Basically the next step is to go up in multiplier until you either hit stability or temperature problems with the chip. 1.5v is no big deal with these CPUs but you have to have cooling to back that up also, but we will find out one way or another.

Is this with your board set to 1.4 vCore, because your max volts is way lower than that.. It kinda looks like you didnt have HW mon running the whole time that you ran P95 which is important so we can see the real max temp you hit. Not all calculations are equal and certain ones will get the chip hotter than others.

Also your motherboards LLC setting what do you have it at? We have recently found that the circuit is programmed to behave in an unusual way with these lower model Asrock motherboards. We found that setting it to disabled actually makes it work correctly :shrug:

The next step would be to try and get the CPU voltage into the 1.425v range as the max and see where that takes us next. Basically the next step is to go up in multiplier until you either hit stability or temperature problems with the chip. 1.5v is no big deal with these CPUs but you have to have cooling to back that up also, but we will find out one way or another.

Yes, I also noticed that... the voltages are very very low compared to what they are set at in the bios. I double chcked and vcore is still set to 1.4. I figured that maybe the voltage was so low due to the cpu multiplier being so low and it must've not needed the power or something.. i dunno?? I did, in fact have p95 running the entire 48 minutes of the test, I just stopped P95 before I took the screen shots, but I'm 100% hwmonitor was running the entire time.

LLC is set to disabled.

About to up the RAM to 1760 and do another stability test before upping the CPU multi. After p95 test with ram, I will up the cpu by one full step (no ***** half-steps lol) will try fooling around with voltage too, to try and see if i can figure out what is causing the voltage to run much lower than what i have it set for. Will report back soon. Thanks so much ssjwizard!

I think I may have pin-pointed the issue. I simply upped my RAM to 1760 and was no longer able to boot after applying the changes. Couldnt even get in BIOS either. Had to clear cmos in order to boot again. Could this be a case of maybe needing more power? Was thinking about increasing vcore a bit and trying again but I figured I would await a response here before trying something im not completely sure of.

Are your DRAM Timings set manually or are you using AUTO? A lot of the time RAM overclocking fails because the motherboard is just retarded and doesn't set the correct timings. One of the biggest culprits is command rate, and on AMD it makes such a small difference its not wroth the argument just set it to 2T. If you have the other timings manually set try increasing the voltage. DRAM voltage of 1.65 is no big deal. JEDC specs specify DDR3 at 1.5-1.7v and many older high speed kits come with ratings for 1.9v. No need to go crazy with it though. Try 1.6v first if that doesnt work bump it a little more. If that doesnt go then we might have to look at relaxing the timings a bit.

Back