• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to overclocking: Have some questions about my 6300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
almost all fx 6300 can do:

4.2ghz with 1.33v
4.4ghz with 1.38v
4.5ghz with 1.40-42
4.6ghz with 1.42-45
4.7 or 4.8 with 1.47-50

This is a very bold, overly generic, and quite inaccurate statement. Some 6300s will be able to do those speeds on those volts, but to claim "almost all" is simply a fantasy.

Yeah, I am running 1.32v on my 4.2ghz 6300 build and I think I could get away with less actually.

well then what is going on with mine? because i need the 1.4 just to get to 4.3ghz.. no way to run on less than that and have it be stable. dont think its the mobo, because i got performance like this on my last mobo also... seriously thinking maybe a bad cpu? Will AMD offer replacement for an issue like this? It is outside the return window for this CPU as of right now, from the original retailer.

Last edited:
People can write in saying they can do "X" speed at "Y" voltage all they want to but it means very little actually. Seen 100s of posts in here where they make a claim of X speed and it is not stable for shett. You begin to put the system thru Prime 95 Blend testing and see what Vcore one has to have to be stable. I can boot windows and bench at nearly 0.07 volts less than what it takes to be prime stable. Some systems have an even greater split.

You can take a look at this post to see some actual voltages reported for an FX-6300 that I was testing. http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7408184&postcount=5 All of that FX-6300 testing was done using a good Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional motherboard that has a working LLC circuit.

Just being on the honest side and not politically correct; this motherboard ASRock 970 Extreme3, is just not up to the task of pushing a PD cpu well. The VRM circuit is weak and the LLC circuit is suspicious. I have seen post after post of users with that particular board, pulling all their hair out. You set a Vcore and then the LLC eiher pushes Vcore way up or does nothing worthwhile.

Ben62884 said:
seriously thinking maybe a bad cpu?
I doubt that seriously. The cpu works as advertised does it not? Yes, I thought so. It just does not do the out of warranty overclocking like you think that it should. On a good motherboard, that cpu would probably act in a different manner entirely.
RGone...

Last edited:
I run my 4170 at 19.5x244 ht and cpu/nb at 2693 with vcore at 1.524 16gigs of 1600 ram at about 1640 and it just humms right along. as long as the temps are in spec give it a push, but with a board that can handle it.

I'm a believer! http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=726326 I'm not trying to prove anything, except for my pleasure.Passed prime 95 for 20 minutes,which doesn't mean jack,but I use it in my real world test.Ultra @1080p,with no blue screens at all,playing for hours, is all I need for happiness.

Getting rid of my 965 and 955 ,so I get use this cpu again,in new gaming rig.These cpu's are great multi-taskers too,and @ 95watts unlocked,not much else to say.

Last edited:
they will clock right up, do a respectable amount of work and not keep you fighting the heat battles.

I have mine at 4.55 cant seem to get it stable above that, I dont run burn in tests for hour, if I can do a half hr flight in FSX its stable if its not FSX usually wont start or freezes early in flight. Mutli is at 21.5 SFb i tink 210 it was the only way i could get above 4.4, CPU V at 1.425

Well I ordered myself a Gigabyte 990FX-UD3 last night. It will be here Wednesday, so I'm looking forward to that. Gonna have to find someone to buy this ASRock Ext3... it's not even 2 months old yet, but can no longer RMA it. Hoping to get some more performance out of this new MOBO. Hopefully some more FPS in my games too. I recently upgraded to one of those Shimian Achieva QH270 LED IPS 2560x1440 monitor... and since then all my games have bumped up from 1920x1080 to the 2560x1440 resolution, and it has caused my frame rate to drop just slightly. But OMG it looks so beautiful on this display. If I change settings to 1080p it just looks way too big... like im trying to display 800x600 on a 1080 display lol....

2560x1440 monitor. = I would not doubt that needs more than a 7850 video card. Someone big into video cards may have a more precise answer but it would not surprise me to see that resolution slow FPS.

I was thinking about upgrading the video card as well. But everything is still pretty expensive when it comes to something better than the 7850. I can still easily get 50-60fps on Battlefield 3 on ultra settings at 2560x1440, with MSAA set to 0. If MSAA is set to x4 (like it is by default on "ultra") then my FPS will lower to about 35-42 fps, so I just leave that option turned off, I dont really notice a difference anyways.

What about running 2 7850's on crossfire? Would that alleviate the problem, or at least make the games run a bit better? Or do I need something bigger than 7850 all together?

You can type this as search phrase in g00gle and 7850 video cards will not show anywhere that I saw. minimum video card for 2560x1440

When the Vishera FX-8350 is not breaking records,there seems to be a sharp increase in temps at higher clocks for all these cpu's..For me,my 6300 runs hotter @ 4.5g.My temps increase 5-7c,but max load temp is 52C @ 4.5g

At 4.4 @ 1.3v seems to be the sweet spot. 18C-46C! I could back off on the voltage another .025v,and test @ 4.5g.Hopefully temps follow suit,if I can get it stable on lower volts.

http://www.neowin.net/news/amd-vishera-cpu-sets-a-world-record-867ghz-frequency

Last edited:
When the Vishera FX-8350 is not breaking records,there seems to be a sharp increase in temps at higher clocks for all these cpu's..For me,my 6300 runs hotter @ 4.5g.My temps increase 5-7c,but max load temp is 52C @ 4.5g

At 4.4 @ 1.3v seems to be the sweet spot. 18C-46C! I could back off on the voltage another .025v,and test @ 4.5g.Hopefully temps follow suit,if I can get it stable on lower volts.

http://www.neowin.net/news/amd-vishera-cpu-sets-a-world-record-867ghz-frequency

Mmmmmm, nice! You're making me anxiously await the arrival of this new mobo. Hopefully I can get some numbers at least in the same range as you. This 4.3Ghz on 1.4 is irritating, not to mention the whacky LLC on this board... Setting vcore to 1.4, and I end up getting anywhere from 0.96-1.70!!

Mmmmmm, nice! You're making me anxiously await the arrival of this new mobo. Hopefully I can get some numbers at least in the same range as you. This 4.3Ghz on 1.4 is irritating, not to mention the whacky LLC on this board... Setting vcore to 1.4, and I end up getting anywhere from 0.96-1.70!!

Once you step up to a better board,power phase( higher than 4 +1) being the key word here,you'll notice a immediate difference.Just make sure all the green crap is turned off ,on gigabyte boards,smart fan off too!

I set LLC to extreme to compensate for v-droop.Not sure if this makes a difference,but I have noticed smaller gaps with voltage drops,so it helps imo.Each board is different,so many variables.Your psu,board,environment ect...

I am deciding if I should turn on cool n quiet.Would that screw with your oc?It would idle the voltage down when there is no load,but mine seems to do that anyway,for lack of better words.

Last edited:
Crazy coincedence... just happened to check out craigslist for some motherboards (because I'm listing mine for sale) and ended up coming across a guy who has a top-end AMD gaming system which he is getting rid of to replace with an intel build, and hes willing to piece it out.. I'm about to go pickup a Gigabyte 7950 3GB (GV-R795WF3-3GD) video card. It's only 3-4 months old, still has remainder of manufacturer warranty, and hes willing to let it go for $250... its still $299 brand new on newegg right now.. i think its a pretty good deal. Now I can get rid of my HIS 7850... But in the meantime I think I might try out and see what this crossfire thing is all about. I've never done it before but now that I'll have 2 video cards on hand for a while I might as well give it a go..

Back