• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to overclocking: Have some questions about my 6300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Temps are under 40c.... Have not disabled APM because I cannot find it anywhere. Is it called something else in this bios? Just read something where it was suggested to enable the HPC mode (high performance computing) and supposedly that has fixed the issue for some... I'm trying that right now.

It's no longer the as rock... I've still gotta change my signature, it's the Gigabyte 990 FX ud3... running prime95 stress test right now, I'm 15 minutes into the test and temps if not exceed 45 degrees. The board is no longer dropping voltage and it's rock solid add 4.3 gigahertz. Minimum voltage is 1.356 and Max is 1.392. I will provide screenshots as soon as a test is done.

Uh oh, HUGE problem... I tried flashing the updated BIOS on this motherboard using the @BioS utility from Gigabyte.... It listed my motherboard and found the update, downloaded it, and then proceeded to flash it. It said everything went successfully and that it mneeded to reboot. So I rebooted, only to find that I am now getting the message "Cannot locate an Operating System - Please disconnect all drives that do not contain an OS - Press any key to reboot".... But then when I press a key it will not do anything. So I rebooted and tried pressing Delete to get into the BIOS setup... nothing happened. The BIOS splash screen comes up (its completely different than it was originally before bios flash) and then I get the no OS error. So I went ahead and disconnected all drives except for the one with my OS on it.... And now I'm getting an eror saying it could not find any bootable devices, and to press any key to reboot. So I went ahead and cleared CMOS hoping to just start all over. Now I get the Gigabyte UEFI BIOS screen that comes up telling me the BIOS had been reset, and its asking me if I want to enter BIOS, Load Default BIOS settings and boot, or Load BIOS Default and Reboot".... But I'm not able to choose any of them, because my keyboard is no longer being recognized by the BIOS (at least that what i think it is)... They keyboard lights up so I kmnow it is powered on, but the BIOS screen to select an option will not allow me to press enter, or move around or anything.. and there is no mouse cursor on this screen either. PLEASE HELP!! I have no idea what is going on or why it would be doing this.

I think what happened is that the bios flash caused the SATA configuration to default to something different than what you had the hard disc configured for in bios when you installed Windows initially. Did you use IDE or AHCI initially? Anyway try changing that in bios to another option. There is also something called RAID in the SATA configuration options but I doubt you used that initially.

I think what happened is that the bios flash caused the SATA configuration to default to something different than what you had the hard disc configured for in bios when you installed Windows initially. Did you use IDE or AHCI initially? Anyway try changing that in bios to another option. There is also something called RAID in the SATA configuration options but I doubt you used that initially.
+1 to this.

You dont understand... I cant use the keyboard or the mouse or anything so I cant even enter the BIOS setup in order to change anything.... I dont know if its because its a USB keyboard and it defaulted to some weird thing where it doesnt recognize it or what? I think I read somewhere that by default these gigabyte boards didnt recognize USB keyboards and you were forced to use a PS/2 keyboard.... But initially I had no problem using my USB keyboard at all... Until after the BIOS flash now my keyboard wont work at all, so im stuck at the screen asking if I want to enter BIOS setup, or load default values and boot

Here is the screen Im astuck at.... And the only reason Im at this screen is because I cleared CMOS thinking that would help./ Otherwise it was telling me that an OS was not found on any drives. But my keyboard wasnt working then either, thats why I cleared CMOS... Now keyboard still isnt working... I cant pick one of those options in that screenshot.

I believe it was setup for AHCI initially, when I checked that it was loaded to that by default... So leads me to wonder why it would have changed if that was a default value in the beginning?

Attachments

• IMG_20130221_102019.jpg
    IMG_20130221_102019.jpg
    634.7 KB · Views: 42
Reset the CMOS. Usually, the CMOS reset is a jumper that you move between three pins but some boards have button for this. Just make sure you don't switch the jumper or push the button before you have powered down the system and no lights are shining on the motherboard. Unplug the PSU from the wall. And if it's a jumper typed, make sure you put the jumper back to default before you power up.

I already cleared the CMOS once, thats what got me to this screen in the first place. But the keyboard still is not working. You think I should clear it again? This mobo doesnt have the jumper to clear the CMOS, the user manual suggests just using a screwdriver or something metal to short the two pins. I used a screwdriver. I disconnected the PC from the CPU, disconnected all peripherals, and then cleared it. Maybe I should try again?

Unplug all USB devices except the keyboard and restart. Cold boot.

Just tried it per your advice, and still not working. It still POST's just fine. Just one beep.... But I cant for the life of me figure out why this keyboardf stopped working. I'm about to head to walmart and see if they still sell the PS/2 style keyboards. If that a fail, at least its walmart.... i can return the keyboard

I doubt of using a PS2 keyboard will make any difference. It runs off the same bus. I've tried that. Does the mouse work?

Mouse didnt work either but I'm starting to wonder if thast screen even had a mouse cursor. Before running to almart I decided to try another USB keyboard and low and behold it worked. Im typing this from the PC I was having the issues with. Now to figure out if that keyboard works in windows... and why it wouldnt work in bios....

I really don't know why I didn't try this solution to begin with. Probably because like I said I had read somewhere that these USB keyboards have been having problems with this motherboard. I'm really glad it was a simple fix, and thank you for your guys help. I'm just starting on the overclock right now I would really like to get SSJ Wizards settings in motion like I was trying to do on my last board.

When you used a different keyboard to get it working did you put it in a different usb slot?

Been there, done that, just unpluging USB keyboard and pluging it back would have worked.
By some reasons my USB wireless keybord did that after bios update and after CMOS clear. All i had to was unplug usb dongle and plug it back.

Been there, done that, just unpluging USB keyboard and pluging it back would have worked.
By some reasons my USB wireless keybord did that after bios update and after CMOS clear. All i had to was unplug usb dongle and plug it back.

Actually it wasn't that simple at all. I had already unplugged and plugged back in the keyboard 5 times, trying different ports, etc... nothing worked until i changed keyboard and i finally know why. After updating the BIOS, all of my drivers were no longer installed. When I booted to windows and plugged in the same keyboard that didnt work, it acted like it had never been plugged in before and went through the process of installing all of the drivers again.. It has done this with each and every one of my devices I plugged back in - it was like they've never been plugged into this PC before... Did the BIOS flash wipe this out or something? I would bet money now the drivers are installed, that this keyboard would now work in the BIOS.

And to answer the other question - when I plugged in the "other" keyboard... yes it was in the same usb outlet

That is very weird! A bios flash should not affect drivers on the hard disk.

actually I was mistaken about that. Even now when I plug that same keyboard into the PC and try and access the BIOS it won't let me access it. It does the exact same thing, it won't recognize my keyboard strokes, but as soon as I un plug that 1 and plug the older 1 in, it works just fine. The weird thing is this new keyboard that now doesn't work, previously worked on the prior BIOS that I had installed, any suggestions besides rolling back to the old BIOS? Could there be a setting in the BIOS?

There are likely setting for USB in bios that can be tailored. Look to see if you have "Legacy" enabled in the bios USB section. If it is enabled, try disabling it. If disabled, try enabling it.

Back