• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to overclocking: Have some questions about my 6300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That is very weird! A bios flash should not affect drivers on the hard disk.

Most of recent boards accept USB keyboards on BIOS even before you install OS on HDD. Thats why most motherboards now dont even have ps2 ports anymore.

Last edited:
What drosera01 said is true so check those bios USB settings as I suggested.

Is ssjwizard still around? Would love to get that CPU and memory OC going that we were working on with my prior board... Should b able to o get those settings now.

This thead is now 143 posts long and I went back to the beginning and read the first three pages and 'ssjwizard' has told you everything already about what to do to overclock the cpu and even the ram by using the FSB which will raise the ram speed and the other three busses as well. So all you have to do is use what you have already been told in earlier posts and overclock that new mobo. Yes, 'ssjwizard' is around but he is not posting nearly as much as he used to do. Many have gotten very busy after the first of the year.
RGone...

Last edited:
Right, and I've tried that but my bus speed goes crazy... its super high for some reasdon when i used his settings... although in my BIOS when changing the NB voltage i dont know whether to change the "NB Core" or "NB Voltage" because they both have to do with voltage... I will attatch a picture of mky BIOS options in just a bit so you can see what I'm talking about... I dont want to enable the wrong option and fry something. Stress testing right now with my new water cooling system... post pics in a bit

NB Core refers to he CPUNB, a major element in the on die memory controller, I would think and the other NB has to do with the PCI-e control on the motherboard. Some years ago both AMD and Intel put the PCI-e controller and the memory controller in one chip on the motherboard called the North Bridge. Now they have split those functions between the motherboard and the CPU. That's why the confusion and some bioses can make those choices very difficult because they don't have a user friendly lay out.

Here is a picture of the BIOS. Which setting would it be in order to change the NB voltage like ssjwizard suggested? Also, when I changed my bus speed to 220 and the north bridge to 2200, as well as the HT to 2200 as suggested, but then when I ran CPU-Z and prime95, my HT was showing as 2600 and the core kept failing no matter how much power I put to it. So I reverted back to my stable 4.3 ghz and will await a reply from someone more knowledgeable, thanks so much

Attachments

• IMG_20130225_233927.jpg
    IMG_20130225_233927.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 27
Turn your camera flash off when you take a pic of that white on blue bios screen. I can't read the values in the far right column. The flash reflection obscures it. NB Core voltage might be the main CPU voltage now that I see it in context.

I just followed his directions to a T, including clocking all the way down to 17x, and lowering the RAM... and raising BUS speed, HT Link, and NB, also raising the voltages for all three as well... Tried running a Prime95 test at only 3.7ghz and immediately got a blue screen. I must be doing something wrong... Will post screen of my current settings in just a minute

Here are my current stable settings

Attachments

• now.jpg
    now.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 26
  • now2.jpg
    now2.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 27
  • now3.jpg
    now3.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 25
Sorry about the prior pic.. some reason my phone isnt capturing the screen very well at all even with the flash off.. heres a better one

Attachments

• ram.jpg
    ram.jpg
    714.3 KB · Views: 35
Change your DRAM Voltage off auto and to 1.5v.

Up your NB voltage by .025v

Go from there and let us know.

Just ran a 20 minutes p95 test with the settings you suggested. Changed DRAM Voltage to 1.50 and raised NB Voltage by 0.25. here are the results

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    708.9 KB · Views: 29
Bigger:

Attachments

• Untitled2.jpg
    Untitled2.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 29
  • Untitled3.jpg
    Untitled3.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 29
1.47v on the Vcore should net you 4.6ghz. That's what I am running.

Try giving it a go. Turn your memory speed down to default. I bet your being limited by your ram, not the processor. I ran into the same wall with my 1600 memory.

1.47v on the Vcore should net you 4.6ghz. That's what I am running.

Try giving it a go. Turn your memory speed down to default. I bet your being limited by your ram, not the processor. I ran into the same wall with my 1600 memory.

I will give it a go in the morning. I know I can't do 4.6ghz on the voltage I have now. Can't even do 4.5 with it. Will lower the ram and see tomorrow.

Just triedlowering the RAM to 1334 vs the 1600 it was on, and ran a test at 4.5ghz at the same voltage I'm at njow, and same thing happened... core failed myabe 1 minutes into the test. I've tried pushing further than 4.4 but it takes almost 1.48-1.53v just to make the 4.5ghz stable, and thats not worth it to me to add that much extra power for only an increase of 100mhz.... I'd rather run at 4.4ghz at a lower voltage. Would really like to get those settings ssjwizard recommended working to I can raise the HT an BUS speeds, overclock RAM to 1766 (or whatever it is) and have CPU at 20x (which will equal 4.4ghz)

You are not overclocking the ram at 1600 nor running the timings tight, therefore your ram is probably not the cause of the failed core, most of the time a failed worker is lack of Cpu V core. If anything you should be able to run those Gskills at a higher frequency. If you really want to see if 4.6 is possible you should go back and re read the suggestions about using the FSB to overclock it now. These FX chips seem to hit a wall with overclocking via multiplier alone, at some point. You may have reached that point. Take the time to re read this thread and maybe you'll be able to overclock it higher and or get a "cleaner" overclock.

that's exactly what I've been trying to do. I've gone back to page 3 and input all of SSJ Wizards settings into my bios, but it's not stable and it causes the cores to fail almost immediately, as soon as I up the bus and HT speeds. That's why I'm looking for suggestions on what I could try to do or maybe to get a different starting point because I understand the directions he gave me, but it's just not stable enough at those settings to run a prime 95 test.

Back