• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to overclocking: Have some questions about my 6300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
then i'll rephrase it for you earthdog.
if your dropping a single core in prime95 fist try adding 1 bump of vcore.
if you have a blue screen try setting your ram speed closer to stock with close to stock timming settings.

Last edited:
It just isn't that simple...not at all.

I've had plenty of bsods that were core related (124 code), and cores drop due to memory issues.

There is simple, and there is wrong..going by that advice you could have people spinning their tires for nothing.

Small FFT = CPU
Blend = RAM and CPU

You want to test CPU, use small FFT. Once that is good, use blend for memory. Proper procedures will help make the process run more efficiently.

Right, I'm trying to keep it as "simple" as possible... But I'm having a tough time.... And I'm pretty darn sure my CPU is able to push past its current 4.4ghz.... Right now its strictly a multiplier/vcore over clock... Haven't rally touched any other settings besides the ram timings and the "green" settings. Bus speed, ht, and nb are all still on auto.....

back a page you said you did not what to push higher due to vcore.
what is youe cpu/nb voltage right now?

Rgone has been beating my 6300 up for a few weeks, I have e-mailed him asking what cpu/nb voltage he has been useing.
also, I have found that my sabertooth with a 4170 on it has issues with 16 gigs of ram and is much better with 8 gigs in it.

looks like it take about 1.2875v on the cpu/nb to get 2400.
can you set the voltage up to this?

Last edited:
Here's a pic of my Frequency menu in the BIOS.. BCLK Clock Control, is that the BUS speed? Ive been changing that to 220, the HT to 2200, and north bridge to 2200, and lowering the CPU multiplier to 17x. Also raised dram voltage to 1.55, north bridge to 1.25, and raised HT by 0.25 as well... but I'm not able to run prime 95 for more than 30 seconds.

Attachments

• IMG_20130226_210438.jpg
    IMG_20130226_210438.jpg
    646.3 KB · Views: 32
North bridge is currently at 1.1.... because im using my stable 4.4ghz profile. no NB tweaks or anything.. only cpu multiplier and vcore raised right now. About to try the settings I used last night again, but I'm going to run a prime95 test with the Small FTT option to see if the CPu can handle it

OK just so everyone knows; this is what I am trying to accomplish:

Try setting 220 "CPU frequency" which I will refer to as HTT from now on.

We need to make sure the motherboard isnt playing any tricks on us now, so set the RAM back up to 1.55v, push the CPU-NB to 1.3v, and set the HT to 1.3v also. Some of these are probably overshoots but lets just get to a position where we can work from.

Now leave your LLC setting at disabled(I think we covered that in this thread...) and set your CPU vCore to 1.4v which is what you were working with before.

Now last lets set the DRAM multiplier to 1333 speed , the HT bus speed to 2200 or x11 whichever you have, the CPU-NB to 2200 or x11 whichever you have, and the CPU multiplier to x17 which your CPU should happily run at those speeds/voltages if your motherboard decides to cooperate.

Now that we know about what to expect from your CPU alone we want to work through the fine tuning aspects of overclocking. This should eliminate RAM or CPU speed as a potential issue and let us focus on the other bits.

Once you verify that the CPU-NB and HT clockspeeds line up and dont cause crashes we want to jump your RAM up to the suggested 1600 multiplier which should result in DDR3-1760 ish speed. Do a quick stability check on it and your back after the CPU again.

Increase by full multipliers(I have never liked half multis, how does a CPU do half of something?) one at a time with 20 mins P95. When you get it back up to the 4.2Ghz range you probably want to do a longer test to see if your going to need more vCore and what your CPU temps look like.

Now, I did just that... and ciouldnt even boot into windows.. I got into windows, tried logging in, and I got a blue screen with the error: CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT.... I do not know what this means or what is is connected to. I thought this board wasnt going to tgive me as many issues as my previous asrock board did... Or maybe it is something wrong I am doing on my end?

nb core voltage= cpu/nb voltage.
change the blck a little at at time. 5 at a time such as from 200 to 205.
not 200 to 220.

Shoot... I've been changing the nb voltage.. Not the nb core... So obviously it was a problem on my end, I will try that again and retest. And I will go up in increments of 5 on the blck

Adjusted settings, stess testing now. I raised NB to 2200, HT to 2600, and BCLK to 205. Raised NB Core +0.25, DRAM voltage to 1.55v, and HT voltage to 1.3... 5 minutes into P95 and no problems as of yet. Not doing the blend test this time though, only stressing CPu with the Small FFT option.

Weird thing is in CPU-Z the HT Link is reading awfully high... its reading 2665mhz instead of the 2600 i have it set at. is this bad?

Attachments

• ht.jpg
    ht.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 27
Is why I said you need to actually learn about the motherboard some posts ago.

Weird thing is in CPU-Z the HT Link is reading awfully high... its reading 2665mhz instead of the 2600 i have it set at. is this bad?

2600Mhz HT Freq is 200x13 = 2600Mhz
BUT
205x13 = 2665Mhz and some boards and cpus don't like HT Freq that high.
RGone...

is there a way to up the bus speed but also keep the HT link set at 2600? with it at 205 I was able to run a test for 15 to 20 minutes with no problems. I raised it to 2:10 which also raised the HT link to around 2730, but when I ran the stress test I got a core drop out right away. do I need to give the CPU more voltage by raising the v-core?

Drop HT Frequency back to 2400Mhz before upping FSB and the added FSB should not overspeed the HT Freq then. Add some Vcore and see if it helps keep the worker from dropping out. It is all test and tune and trial and error at your end.
RGone...

I raised the vcore by one, which brought my voltage to 1.464-1.51, lowered HT to 2400 and left BUS at 205. CPU multiplier is at 22x which brings a total of 4.51ghz... but its not stable, i keep getting 1 core drop out on prime95. Should I try lowering CPU multiplier and maybe raising BUS speed to ahceive a stable 4.5-4.6ghz? thats really what im shooting for

It does not matter that the core is dropping out to show the 3 Captures needed of CPUz, the CPU Tab, the Memory Tab and the SPD Tab and include the Capture of HWMonitor logging temps and voltges in the background. Is it always the same core that is dropping out?

And for a test to see what maybe what, I would remove 8 gigs of ram leaving only 8 gigs in two sticks in the correct slots so the ram is dual channel and then run the P95 test again at 205x22. See if the ram is causing the issue by loading the IMC down.
RGone...

It does not matter that the core is dropping out to show the 3 Captures needed of CPUz, the CPU Tab, the Memory Tab and the SPD Tab and include the Capture of HWMonitor logging temps and voltges in the background. Is it always the same core that is dropping out?

And for a test to see what maybe what, I would remove 8 gigs of ram leaving only 8 gigs in two sticks in the correct slots so the ram is dual channel and then run the P95 test again at 205x22. See if the ram is causing the issue by loading the IMC down.
RGone...
Yes it seems to be the same core. It's core #5. Also, If I take one of my 8GB sticks out then ill only have 8gb left and cant run in dual channel. my 16gb is being run in dual channel right now. im about ready to give up. i upped the bus to 210 and ran at 20x which i believe was 4.45ghz and it was completely stable... quite warm, but stable... then when i tried for 4.5ghz the core kept failing again. it seems no matter what i do my cpu will not budge past 4.4ghz. and raising the bus seemed to only raise my temps. i was able to hit 4.4ghz at a lower cpu multiplier but i ran about 10C hotter than usual. if I run at my normal 22x 4.4ghz with no bus modifications, and vcore at only 1.42volts i can run stable all day at around 48 degrees C. id really like to get up to 4.6ghz though

Back