• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to OverClocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MR.WaynesWorld

Registered
I'm new to overclocking so please bear with me.

Building a new PC for my home office and want to bump it a little. Motherboard is a Asus M5A88-M, CPU is a AMD FX6100 and memory is G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB Model F3-10666CL9Q-16GBRL. I know the FX6100 will run at 3.1? as it stands but would like to get it to 4.0 GHZ..

What would I need to do in the BIOS to get this modest bump?

Thanks in advance...

Welcome!

Im not an AMD guy, but there is a bulldozer overclocking guide link in my signature. Read that and it should get you well on your way! :)

Wayne, that cooler may not be adequate for what you want to do. It's only a 92mm fan-based cooler. Can you give us more details about your system. like case make and model (good case ventilation is critical to low CPU core temps and low CPU core temps are critical to good overclocking), PSU make, model and wattage and video card make and model.

No Stock Cooler. I'm using a XIGMATEK cobra - d984 92mm HYPRO Bearing CPU Cooler. Here is the link to Newegg on it - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233025

Ok so I'm fairly new to it all myself also but I may be able to help you out here.

I have an FX-6100 and an Antec Freezer Pro Rev 2

--- EDIT, After looking at your CPU cooler you may actually be ok pushing it to 4.0 just make sure your CPU fan speed is set to 100%, monitor it in bios first before leaving it to boot? The spec looks roughly the same as mine.

MB, Power, Memory all in my Sig.

I managed to get to 4.0 with no problems and with that cooler my CPU temps were about 35 idle to 50 stress. When it hit 50C I put the CPU and Case coolers to 100%, when idle I ran the CPU cooler at 67% and the case fans at 50% to maintain 35 / 39 (MAX)

I have now managed to get the CPU up to 4.2 Ghz and so far its stable but testing is ongoing.. Temps don't go above 51C whilst playing BF3 Multi-player 64 Players on the grid, which is pretty intense for the system as it is! Ill then push it a bit further once I know this is a solid over clock.

Last edited:
these processors are easy to OC but you need to make sure you can keep it cool. I have the coolermaster hyper 212 and it does well. I have been folding for several days with my rig and it hasn't gotten above 43C, Prime95 8 hour blends are about the same. Perhaps run some Prime95 blend tests with the CPU at stock speeds to get an indication of how well your cooler is working, then step it up slowly and monitor your temps. 4.0 comes pretty easy with just multiplier adjustments.

these processors are easy to OC but you need to make sure you can keep it cool. I have the coolermaster hyper 212 and it does well. I have been folding for several days with my rig and it hasn't gotten above 43C, Prime95 8 hour blends are about the same. Perhaps run some Prime95 blend tests with the CPU at stock speeds to get an indication of how well your cooler is working, then step it up slowly and monitor your temps. 4.0 comes pretty easy with just multiplier adjustments.

Logan can you share your overclock settings ? I'm interested to see your CPU vcore, my temps are quite high but if I put the voltage any less than 1.39 then BF3 crashes / system freez's randomly after 15 / 30 mins of play temps are ok tho!

Yeah, at 4.1Ghz I am running 1.32 -1.36v ish which passes 8 hour prime blend and weeks of smp folding. I don't have my snips here as I am at work but when I get home I will try to remember to post em up.

Yeah, at 4.1Ghz I am running 1.32 -1.36v ish which passes 8 hour prime blend and weeks of smp folding. I don't have my snips here as I am at work but when I get home I will try to remember to post em up.

Ahhh, nice! Yea i'd really like to see a detailed config so I can copy and gain your stability and then fine tune from there, will save me a few hours of messing around, I just need to get my vcore down without becoming unstable, have no idea why I cant right now but hopefully if you can post some pics up then I can try to figure out why =D

Cheers :thup:

Alright, though it maybe half a day or more until I post them, I am coming off of four 12 hour midnight shifts and might not be in the right mindset to jump on and get the snips as soon as I get home.

Alright, though it maybe half a day or more until I post them, I am coming off of four 12 hour midnight shifts and might not be in the right mindset to jump on and get the snips as soon as I get home.

Alright dude, just whenever you can :thup:

I'm still waiting on my SSD to get my system up and running. But in the mean time I wanted to see how I can get a little more out of it, aka OC to 4.0. The case is a Dell Studio Mid-Tower case. A silenx fan on the rear of the case. I may drop a fan in the front of the case as well....

I too would like to see what others have in their BIOS to get the 4.0 range. I may leave it and I may not. It all depends on my temps. I do know the AMD 6-way even at stock speed will be a big boost compared to my quad core Q6600 intel I am currently running.

Ahhh, nice! Yea i'd really like to see a detailed config so I can copy and gain your stability and then fine tune from there, will save me a few hours of messing around, I just need to get my vcore down without becoming unstable, have no idea why I cant right now but hopefully if you can post some pics up then I can try to figure out why =D

Cheers :thup:
copying a config may or may not work as every chip is different. I really suggest looking at that guide to learn what you are doing. Though his settings nay. E a good starting point.

I agree that copying a config probably wont be the best bet, especially since we are running different hardware, well other than the CPU.

copying a config may or may not work as every chip is different. I really suggest looking at that guide to learn what you are doing. Though his settings nay. E a good starting point.

Yeah, I know every set-up is different but as they are currently clocked at similar speeds I just want to see the settings behind it and compare to mine.

I have read the guide, it was very useful and has given me a stable 4.2 over-clock! I just want to lower the temps a little if possible. :attn:

I'm still waiting on my SSD to get my system up and running. But in the mean time I wanted to see how I can get a little more out of it, aka OC to 4.0. The case is a Dell Studio Mid-Tower case. A silenx fan on the rear of the case. I may drop a fan in the front of the case as well....

I too would like to see what others have in their BIOS to get the 4.0 range. I may leave it and I may not. It all depends on my temps. I do know the AMD 6-way even at stock speed will be a big boost compared to my quad core Q6600 intel I am currently running.

While you are upgrading you may want to consider upgrading the case also. I don't think I've seen a dell case especially an older one that had good airflow, especailly if you are going to start pushing that 6100. I noticed a 5c difference in temps when I switched from an Antec case that was decent in 2006 to a better cooled one.

Back