• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to OverClocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have read the guide, it was very useful and has given me a stable 4.2 over-clock! I just want to lower the temps a little if possible. :attn:

You'll only reduced temps by adding more/different fans. Take some suggestions from your peers and look into the Hyper 212+ (if your case is large enough to handle it).

You'll only reduced temps by adding more/different fans. Take some suggestions from your peers and look into the Hyper 212+ (if your case is large enough to handle it).

Case is a Coolermaster CM 690 II Adavance, should I be ok?!

I thought lowering the voltage helps to reduce heat? I'm at 1.38 v at the moment, I thought that was a little high based on my setup but maybe I'm wrong =D I am new to all this :eek:

Case is a Coolermaster CM 690 II Adavance, should I be ok?!

I thought lowering the voltage helps to reduce heat? I'm at 1.38 v at the moment, I thought that was a little high based on my setup but maybe I'm wrong =D I am new to all this :eek:

Yes, you are correct, lower voltage = less heat. I posted under the assumption that you wouldn't be going lower than 1.38 vcore (which is pretty much stock vcore).

Yes, you are correct, lower voltage = less heat. I posted under the assumption that you wouldn't be going lower than 1.38 vcore (which is pretty much stock vcore).

Yeah before I over-clocked the MSI Control Centre was telling me it was running at 1.41 v

I lowered it then upped my multiplier and soon discovered that it needed to be around 1.38 v anyway to stay stable!

Based on that I'm guessing I cant lower it any more so yea, new cooler me thinks =D

Got some new case fans coming soon too :clap:

EDIT - Thanks for the help =)

When overclocking, just watch your CORE temps, and each of those are listed in HWMonitor. You don't want each of those cores going over 60c at max load, while 55c is the threshold to try and stay under.

Sorry if I'm repeating anything that was send earlier...kind of skimmed the thread :).

Hey, be careful Kilbrz and skpwn; you guys are hijacking this thread. Interjecting a question here and there is okay but more than that suggests the need for starting your own thread. This is a matter of forum etiquette.

Hey, be careful Kilbrz and skpwn; you guys are hijacking this thread. Interjecting a question here and there is okay but more than that suggests the need for starting your own thread. This is a matter of forum etiquette.

Oops. I thought Kilbrz was the OP. :chair:

While you are upgrading you may want to consider upgrading the case also. I don't think I've seen a dell case especially an older one that had good airflow, especailly if you are going to start pushing that 6100. I noticed a 5c difference in temps when I switched from an Antec case that was decent in 2006 to a better cooled one.

Right now Not sure if a new case in in my budget. Even if I can get a moderate OC on the FX6100 I would be happy. Not a gamer, purely use the system for movie rips, DVD and BluRay. Work PC to get into my job and general testing of new stuff. All I want to do is bump the GHZ on the CPU to about 3.8 or 4.0 if my temps stay steady and not too hot...

When overclocking, just watch your CORE temps, and each of those are listed in HWMonitor. You don't want each of those cores going over 60c at max load, while 55c is the threshold to try and stay under.

Sorry if I'm repeating anything that was send earlier...kind of skimmed the thread :).

Ok, looks like I'm under that new cooler coming tomorrow, thanks for the tip ! :thup:

Sorry =D

Right now Not sure if a new case in in my budget. Even if I can get a moderate OC on the FX6100 I would be happy. Not a gamer, purely use the system for movie rips, DVD and BluRay. Work PC to get into my job and general testing of new stuff. All I want to do is bump the GHZ on the CPU to about 3.8 or 4.0 if my temps stay steady and not too hot...

From someone who has the same chip, and a cooler that is pretty much the same I think you would be ok with a mild overclock and don't see why you couldn't try this and just monitor it + revert if needed. Like I said my temps hit 51C loaded out with the fans on 100% and this is at 4.2 Ghz so at 3.8 Ghz, if you dont play games then you should be more than fine with what you have? But i'd let these guys confirm that first !

Okay here is a snip of CPU-z with my current settings. This has passed Prime95 8 hours with no errors and I have been folding with it for a few days like this. Let me know what other snips you want, also I don't know that my bios settings will tell you much as we have different MOBOs.

Attachments

• 4_24_cpu7.JPG
    4_24_cpu7.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 50
Okay here is a snip of CPU-z with my current settings. This has passed Prime95 8 hours with no errors and I have been folding with it for a few days like this. Let me know what other snips you want, also I don't know that my bios settings will tell you much as we have different MOBOs.

w00t how did you get your vcore so low? Anything below 1.38 on mine and I crash in BF3 ? And were on the same chip! Confused much!:confused:

It does go up to 1.34 at times, I have a snip of HWMonitor that shows the max vcore at 1.34. In the BIOS I have the vcore set to 1.32, but I left some of the green functions turned on, just turned off turbo core. C1E and Cool & Quiet are left enabled. Other than that I don't really know what to say.

It does go up to 1.34 at times, I have a snip of HWMonitor that shows the max vcore at 1.34. In the BIOS I have the vcore set to 1.32, but I left some of the green functions turned on, just turned off turbo core. C1E and Cool & Quiet are left enabled. Other than that I don't really know what to say.

Guess it's down to different boards + settings maybe I'll be able to get mine down to that if I tweak it.

Thanks for doing that btw :thup:

When I got home I downloaded the Asus TurboV sof5tware from Asus. Did a easy OC with the software, which actually changes the BIOS settings from what I can see. I hit 3.8 GHZ and have been running Prime95 for about 20 minutes or so. Tempa are around 57 right now.

Now a question, can you recommend a good 92 MM fan for my cooler? Also shoudl the fan be blowing down to the CPU or up away from it?

OK I have been trying different things here with some great results. Right now I'm a tad over 3.8 GHZ. I did this by raising my bus speed to 232. Temps were a little high so I lowered my cpu voltage to 1.3. Prime 95 running with no issues and temps are around 54-55 degrees. Could and should I lower voltage to 1.25?

Wayne, it's time you put details about your system hardware in your "Sig" so that as the thread gets longer people can easily refer to it. Go to Quick Links at the top of the page and drop it down and then click on Edit Signature. This common board courtesy.

Mr Waynes, it sounds to me that you are using the AutoTuning feature on the Asus software. You will be much better off learning how to tune it yourself through the bios. Also, you have an unlocked multiplier, it will be much easier for you to just up the multiplier then start changing the fsb. You may want to read this guide before you proceed see below. When you change the FSB you are changing many other things along with it. This may cause instability in the system and will make it tougher for a new overclocker to pin point exactly what is causing the issue. I feel that you should set everything back to stock read the below article and then proceed with your OC. That way when someone says to you " make sure your ram speeds are stable" you will know what they are talking about.

Furthermore, if you post shots of your hwmonitor and on cpuz the tabs cpu, memory and spd, it will allow the ones that have experience overclocking these processors to better help you.

http://sites.amd.com/us/Documents/AMD_FX_Performance_Tuning_Guide.pdf

Wayne, it's time you put details about your system hardware in your "Sig" so that as the thread gets longer people can easily refer to it. Go to Quick Links at the top of the page and drop it down and then click on Edit Signature. This common board courtesy.

Will do, sorry about that.. I adjust my Sig tonight. Right now to much other stuff going on here at work...

Back