• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to OverClocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Mr Waynes, it sounds to me that you are using the AutoTuning feature on the Asus software. You will be much better off learning how to tune it yourself through the bios. Also, you have an unlocked multiplier, it will be much easier for you to just up the multiplier then start changing the fsb. You may want to read this guide before you proceed see below. When you change the FSB you are changing many other things along with it. This may cause instability in the system and will make it tougher for a new overclocker to pin point exactly what is causing the issue. I feel that you should set everything back to stock read the below article and then proceed with your OC. That way when someone says to you " make sure your ram speeds are stable" you will know what they are talking about.

Furthermore, if you post shots of your hwmonitor and on cpuz the tabs cpu, memory and spd, it will allow the ones that have experience overclocking these processors to better help you.

http://sites.amd.com/us/Documents/AMD_FX_Performance_Tuning_Guide.pdf

Thanks Mandrake4565 for the article. This is one of the better write ups for newbies I have seen for OC'ing.. I'll have a read of it and move forward...

My pleasure, I know that being new to this can be a little intimidating. Just trying to help you learn as I am still, thanks to this forum. A lot of the people here are more then willing and capable to help, though it makes it a lot easier when a person has some knowledge. You know the saying, "Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will eat for the rest of his life". :) Let us know how it's going as you push the cpu. I'm sure you'll get the bug and not stop at 4.0 :)

Well been reading a lot, even at work, and I'm finally making some headway. Removed all OC Software on my rig and went straight into just doing it in the BIOS. Right now running a stess test @ 4.0 GHZ with my temps hovering around 56.. Just wouold like all to takea look and make any suggestions you may have...

Thanks for all the guidance everyone has provided me with this new project.

CPUz-CPU2012-04-27_18-12-47.png

CPUz-Memory2012-04-27_18-14-01.png

HWMonitor2012-04-27_18-05-13.png

Looks like you have about 8c temp headroom for more CPU voltage and higher overclocking.

What increment should I up the voltage? I Believe I have it set to Auto in the Bios.. So I need to set to Manual and then sopecify a CPU Voltage Correct? I think Auto set's it to 1.375 volts.

When one looks at the temps, are you looking at the overall temp of the CPU or each individual core temps?

I would try 1.375 in bios and then check out in CPU-z what that shows in Windows after there may be vdrop or LLC either degrading the voltgage or enhancing it, respectively.

OK set it to 1.375. When I first got on Windows CPUz was showing CPUv @ 1.404 the jumped up to 1.416. But after I started Prime93 dropped down to 1.368. Going to let it run for 10-20 minutes and I'll watch the temp...

Trents, is the CPU temp normally higher then the cores? Mine though a totally different processor is never higher? I'm thinking if the readings on the cores are off by looking at the startup temp readings? Assuming that the PC isn't in a 55 deg F room?!

Yes, with good aftermarket cooling the CPU temps are normally higher than the cores. If by too much (more than about 10c) I suspect a poorly calibrated core temp sensor and that's why I like to look at both. My sense of things is that the motherboard CPU socket sensor is more likely to be calibrated correctly. But there are some physics at play that cause the core temp to be lower than the CPU temp with good cooling. By the way, with AMD CPUs there is really only one core temp sensor whose reading is being repeated x times for the number of cores.

Ok Played around last night and had my rig running at 4.1-4.2 GHZ... Temps hit 60-62. Backed it off to the 4.0 GHZ settings for now. Running Prime95 this morning for about an hour, no issues or errors at that settings and temps were around 59c.

For now I think I'll be happy with the 4.0 GHz setting right now... Need to do some Mod's on my case before I attempt anything higher...

Thanks all for the help with my adventure..

Don't get that case. It's only 7.48" wide and will not have enough clearance to the side panel to accommodate the tall 120mm fan-based tower style coolers. Get a case at least 8" wide. Check out the Coolermaster HAF 912 for about the same price.

That PSU gets good ratings but you might want to consider getting one with more wattage if you are planning to run a potent video card. Check out PSUs made by Seasonic, Antec, and the Corsair TX/HX series as they are high quality units but cost more.

Speaking of CPU coolers, Mr. Wane could you put that info in your Sig please?

There ya go trents... Even added the SSD I got today to do my final install of the OS..

I will check out that case and the PS's you mentioned... Now is my next side job gives me the money to get them...

Great choice on the Seasonic PSU as long as you aren't trying to power up a hairy power-sucking video card. Are you using the onboard video?

Using onboard Video.. That's all I need on this box... It's just a connect to work machine, rip movies when we get them machine and general testing machine. Don't do the game thing... Our daughters boyfriend is a gamer.. He just got one of thoes AlienWare machines, I7... Big and nice....

He just got one of thoes AlienWare machines, I7... Big and nice....

Now you can build a system and overclock it for much cheaper and blow the doors off the Alienware I7 :attn:

Back