• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New XP2500M System Crashes lots!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kurt M.

Registered
Just built my system with an Asus A7V600 mobo and the 2500 Mobil Barton. Initially while the clock speed was still at 600MHZ I ran a 15 hour torture test and the system was rock solid. I then set the bus to 200 and the multiple to 10 to run at 2G. Loaded up Win XP home and proceeded to load applications. Now sometimes (not all the time) the system just plan crashes. I get the "windows has recovered from a serious error" message.

Ideas? My core voltage is 1.6V my CPU temps are at 42 and 37 for the case.

Right now I'm stuck because I can't count on this system! I thought of raising the core voltage but dunno. What do you all think? Maybe the problem lies elsewhere.

Troubling...

Ya think? I'm running two sticks or Crucial 3200 (512M ea.). The ram is approved by Asus as being compatible.

Can anyone else confirm or deny a similar problem with this combination?

Thanks.

Kurt M. said:
Ya think? I'm running two sticks or Crucial 3200 (512M ea.). The ram is approved by Asus as being compatible.

Can anyone else confirm or deny a similar problem with this combination?

Thanks.

There should be no problem with that combination. Since you didn't say what memory you were running, I assumed PC2100 :)

What are your memory timings set at?

I didn't mess with the timings at all (no experience). They are CL3-3-3-8

Don't increse the Vcore to 1.75 if you are just trying to run stock. The 2500+ mobile should be able to run 1.9 Ghz with 1.45v. If it can't do that, its RMA time.

What power supply do you have?

georgelogy said:
Don't increse the Vcore to 1.75 if you are just trying to run stock. The 2500+ mobile should be able to run 1.9 Ghz with 1.45v. If it can't do that, its RMA time.

What power supply do you have?

Sorry, I was meaning 1.75V *OR* run the processor at the stock frequency.

I'm running an Antec 350W Silent Power power supply. It came with the Antec case I used. I've set my mother board so that the Vcore Voltage can be between 1.5 and 1.85 (other jumper setting is 1.7-2.05). Strang thing was that upon initial startup that voltage was already set to 1.6 in BIOS. I didn't mess with it.

I'm still stuck.

Thanks to those that offered advice.

That windows error might just be stupid windows. Run prime95 at stock like the guys said..........

Its prob nothing TBH. Prime95 will tell you if your stable or not :) .

PS running the system at 600mhz for prime stability is a little silly :p

[edit]

Keep an eye on temps also. PSU should be fine, i take it you got the lanboy case with the 350w Smart Power yea?

Man people seem to be clocking the heck out of this chip. I shouldn't have a problem at all. To make things worse the RMA policy on CPU's at Newegg is 7 days. I'm just beyond that. Tell me I'm going to have to eat this CPU?

Still looking for the answer.

IGNORE windows errors........If prime95 gives you errors then you have a problem, run it and find out!! I get those stupid errors sometimes it doesent mean i have a bad overclock / or faulty anything.

Well when windows crashes it's probably the same damn thing as a Prime test. When I really pushed my chip, I'd get a P95 crash and then WinXP would mess up one of ITS calculations and then the system restarts. So I'd say it's just general instability.

And your Antec unit is pretty wimpy, a good PS will pretty much eliminate all problems you may have with voltage. $66 for a TRUE430 on newegg I think, if you have the money. 350W is just kinda shoddy, but at least it's an Antec.

try 3-3-3-9/10.

Look, people here run mostly on Abit's NF7's with NForce 400Ultra C1/A1, and are familiar with its weaknesses and strong sides.

Yours is a VIA KT600. Did you have any problems running it at 200Mhz FSB before?
Consider cooling your NB.

I have the Antec SLK3700 case. Similar to the Sonata. One very quiet 120mm fan. I use this for running Pro Tools so quiet is an issue. Still temps are staying in the 40's.

I'm going to run Prime 95 again for 10 hours or so and see what happens. The last time I ran it I was before I set the 200/10 OC. Still gonna keep the same memory settings.

I'll update and post the Prime 95 results than.

Thanks guys.

Well when windows crashes it's probably the same damn thing as a Prime test

Ehh no its not. Prime95 stresses the CPU , Ram , FSB , PSU , Cooling. Generally if the PC reboots its a PSU problem, if Prime95 gives an error then its most lightly CPU or Ram.

Windows can give errors for almost anything, it DOESENT mean its hardware related. So its NOT the same damn thing.

When I really pushed my chip, I'd get a P95 crash and then WinXP would mess up one of ITS calculations and then the system restarts. So I'd say it's just general instability.

Yea that would mean your overclock isint stable. You can tell that from the fact that Prime95 fails , you really dont need windows to back you up on that one mate.

And your Antec unit is pretty wimpy, a good PS will pretty much eliminate all problems you may have with voltage

Ehh what voltage problems is he having? Cmon dont go recomending a new PSU when that isint within an asses roar of his problem. The 350w Antec is a decent PSU and unless hes seriously overclocking and has a power hungry GFX card that wont be a problem. Im running my current system on a Fortron 300w.........

Kurt if Prime95 runs for over an hour then your system is pretty stable and the hardware isint the thing showing up errors - its software / windows related. Running prime95 for 8 hours + generally means its fully stable no matter what you throw at it. People run it for 24 hours to take into account the difference in ambient temp. Ie the heat difference between night and day.....

[edit] Make sure its actually a stability problem as apposed to a windows software error.

Col_Loki,

Thanks for clarifying the issue. Someone else thought my memory might be to blame. I spent last night running memtest. 12 hours and 0 errors. I've noticed that my primary audio ap (Pro Tools) is behaving very buggy. Tonight I will have the time to run another overnight Prime test. I'll post back then. Thanks much.

Well, just about a full day (24 hours) of Prime 95 testing with no errors. I've been using the PC more to play DVD's and do Photoshop work. I haven't had a single shut down. Most of the shut downs were during Pro Tools software sessions. I'm figuring that a software bug is the root of what I thought was an unstable build. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Thanks again to those that helped.

Kurt

Well if prime95 ran for 24hours then your CPU / FSB / RAM / COOLING / PSU is pretty much rock solid and you have nothing to worry about. If one of them is dodgy or over stressed then Prime95 will root it out for you .

Buggy software, weve all had it and you will find once windows has had one "windows has recovered from a critical error" it will throw up alot more just for the crack.......

Anyway looks like your fine to start overclocking............ read the guides and know what to watch. Good Luck anyway.

Back