• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newegg Open Box Motherboard Experience

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dorito Bandit

As some of you may know, I recently ordered an open box motherboard from Newegg and I would like to give you all an update.

Naturally, like anyone else would be, I too was a little concerned about ordering an Open Box motherboard. Of course, these items do have an "Open Box" disclaimer posted by them.
Newegg only guarantees your receipt of the Open Box product with the purchase of this item. Any accessories MAY OR MAY NOT be included. Newegg will NOT send you any missing accessories, even if it is required to use all of the item's functions.
If you weren't concerned before seeing this disclaimer, good chance you will be after seeing it. :D However, after reading about a few positive experiences of Newegg Open Box motherboard purchases, I decided to take a chance and order one myself, the Z87-PRO (V EDITION). Plus, the huge discounted price of $127 (at the time) for such a high quality motherboard was really hard to pass up. I mean, the motherboard has pretty much all the features I was looking for and then some. And I have 30-days to return it should I find a problem with it.

Anyway, I have received my motherboard and am very happy to say that all original items were included in the box (Software DVD, Manual, SATA Cables, SLI Bridge Connector, I/O Shield, and the ASUS Q-Connector Kit). Nothing is missing!

The motherboard came in a plain white box. Would have liked to have received the original motherboard box, but it's really no big deal. The motherboard was wrapped in an anti-static bag and sealed. I have thoroughly examined the motherboard front and back for any cosmetic damage and I am happy to report that the motherboard looks brand new. No cosmetic damage at all. Happily, there were no boogers found on it, neither!:D Oh, and I honestly didn't think I was going to like the color scheme, but after seeing it in person, the board looks awesome!:thup:

I hooked the motherboard up, turned the power on and it booted right up without any problems! I've been using it the last few days and, so far, so good! If necessary, I'll report back with updates.

By the way, have any of you ordered an Open Box motherboard before? If so, from who and how did it turn out for you?

ASUS Z87-PRO (V EDITION) (1).jpg

ASUS Z87-PRO (V EDITION) (2).jpg

ASUS Z87-PRO (V EDITION) (3).jpg

ASUS Z87-PRO (V EDITION) (4).jpg

ASUS Z87-PRO (V EDITION) (5).jpg

ASUS Z87-PRO (V EDITION) (6).jpg

ASUS Z87-PRO (V EDITION) (7).jpg

ASUS Z87-PRO (V EDITION) (8).jpg

ASUS Z87-PRO (V EDITION) (10).jpg

ASUS Z87-PRO (V EDITION) (11).jpg

ASUS Z87-PRO (V EDITION) (12).jpg

ASUS Z87-PRO (V EDITION) (15).jpg

The following 2 images show just how small my Crucial Ballistix Low Profile RAM is. They barely stick above the RAM slots. Also, not sure if this is normal or not, but these little guys were very tight going in.

ASUS Z87-PRO (V EDITION) (16).jpg

ASUS Z87-PRO (V EDITION) (17).jpg

Last edited:
I ordered an open box gigabyte z87 for my current build. Came in full retail box with all the stuff, i thought i had scored. When i went to do my build, i pulled the socket protector off to uncover a mangled socket with multiple clearly mangled pins.

Not only did newegg make me pay to ship their faulty product back, but when they did my refund it didnt include the original shipping, so that whole ordeal cost me 20 bucks.

You couldnt pay me to touch anything in their open box section now, those clowns wouldnt know how to do a simple item inspection on return if their lives depended on it.

Sweet glad it came in working order. I've never ordered an open box mobo, though I can see how it can be a little unnerving.

My Rampage Formula X48 was a newegg open box deal, it's been running 24/7 since 08 :D I bought it from the classies here. I can't remember if my Rampage III Formula was open box or RMA, but I got it here to and it's been reliable, and it's on 24/7 too :thup:

I ordered an open box gigabyte z87 for my current build. Came in full retail box with all the stuff, i thought i had scored. When i went to do my build, i pulled the socket protector off to uncover a mangled socket with multiple clearly mangled pins.

Not only did newegg make me pay to ship their faulty product back, but when they did my refund it didnt include the original shipping, so that whole ordeal cost me 20 bucks.

You couldnt pay me to touch anything in their open box section now, those clowns wouldnt know how to do a simple item inspection on return if their lives depended on it.

Sorry to hear that, man. That's just awful! Considering the board was a Z87 board, this had to happen to you sometime within the last few months or so? Shame on Newegg for selling a board that should have been thoroughly checked before re-selling it.

Open Box Refund Only Return Policy
Return for refund within: 30 days
Return for replacement within: non-replaceable
Products that state "This item is covered by Newegg.com's Refund Only 30-Day Return Policy", or items labeled as “Non-Replaceable” (or similar labeling) must be returned to Newegg within 30 days of the invoice date for this policy to apply. Products covered by this return policy may only be returned for a refund. “Return” constitutes receipt of the product by Newegg, and not the mere issuance of an RMA.

This is our Detailed Open Box Item Return Policy. Newegg often sells items that are listed as "open-box." Because these items are sold at greatly reduced prices, they are subject to a limited refund-only return policy. Such items can only be returned within 30 days of the applicable invoice date. “Return” constitutes receipt of the product by Newegg, and not the mere issuance of an RMA. Newegg cannot provide replacement service for these items, as their stock is limited. The entire risk as to the quality and performance of these items is with the buyer. These items have been tested for functionality, but may have superficial physical defects including, but not limited to, scratches, dings or dents. Should these items exhibit a functional defect following their purchase, the buyer (not the manufacturer, distributor, or Newegg) assumes the entire cost of all necessary servicing or repairs, unless otherwise required by law. These items are not covered by any 30-day satisfaction guarantee.

If you purchase an Open-Box product Newegg guarantees only that you will receive the product itself; accessories MAY OR MAY NOT BE INCLUDED with Open-Box products. Newegg will not send you a missing accessory, even if the missing accessory is required in order to properly make use of all the product’s advertised functions.

What I highlighted in orange above in the quote of Newegg's 'Open Box Return Policy' implies that these boards are tested to work. If they're "tested" to work then how could they not see that those CPU pins were bent? How are they able to "test" a board for functionality without first installing a CPU? I also emailed Newegg before I ordered my board and asked a few questions. They responded back telling me if I found a problem with the board that they would pay the shipping to send it back and offer me a refund or store credit. Going with this information I decided to place the order. Also, I used the Google Trusted Stores Program, which is a free service from Google. Now, whether you like/trust Google or not is up to you, but I chose to accept their help should I find a problem with my purchase. I mean, why not?

Good luck to any of you who order one of these Open Box boards, no matter where you decide to order it from. Even email them or call them with any questions you may have before placing your order.

Maybe others will chime in with their Newegg experience(s).

Last edited:
Yeah I know it should have been tested, and I haven't ever had a problem with Newegg before that. But ive gotten other open box stuff that clearly wasn't tested before it was shipped out. My whole problem came from having to pay to send it back as well as getting shorted on the refund. This happened last November I think, or last October. I ended up with a review sample motherboard off these forums for less money and it works like a charm :beer:

it all depends what they had to open the box to get out of it for some one elses replacement, or something some one returned so they might not have had all the parts when it was returned. mine generally dont come with i/o shileds. but i know this going in. most of the time i just want a decent board on the cheap and some open box deals are upto 50% off cant pass it up.

Yeah I know it should have been tested, and I haven't ever had a problem with Newegg before that. But ive gotten other open box stuff that clearly wasn't tested before it was shipped out. My whole problem came from having to pay to send it back as well as getting shorted on the refund. This happened last November I think, or last October. I ended up with a review sample motherboard off these forums for less money and it works like a charm :beer:

:clap:

it all depends what they had to open the box to get out of it for some one elses replacement, or something some one returned so they might not have had all the parts when it was returned. mine generally dont come with i/o shileds. but i know this going in. most of the time i just want a decent board on the cheap and some open box deals are upto 50% off cant pass it up.

I wouldn't be too upset if the motherboard was missing the manual, cables, or software disk, but I'd certainly want the I/O shield for the board. Sure, you can use the motherboard without it, but that empty gap in your case that the I/O shield covers would look ugly. By the way, anyone know where you can buy an I/O shield for a specific motherboard? I have mine - I am just curious.

Anyway, here's a suggestion for Newegg. Open Box Motherboards could be sold in 2 different pricing levels. Level One being the most expensive and include all accessories, where as level 2 would be the least expensive and include only a few accessories or none at all. Depending on their stock for that particular Open Box board, you'd simply select the level you wanted to purchase. This way the customer sort of knows what he's getting and this could potentially save Newegg and the customer from having to deal with a headache.

Level 1 Open Box Motherboards would contain everything. The motherboard and all included accessories.

Level 2 Open Box Motherboards may or may not include any accessories.

At least this seems like a great idea to me!:shrug:

I've been running the P6T7 I bought open box for at least 5 years now, that box looked like something crushed it in shipping.

Mine came mobo only, yeah.

I got it for about 50% off at the time myself, so really wasn't too worried about it.

Surprised the Egg would ship something with mangled up pins myself.

Last edited:
I have ordered open box stuff and been ok. I have also gotten some "for parts or not working" boards on ebay that functioned ok. I am probably at 50/50 on those - I don't buy ones that are obviously broken or bent pins, mostly untested ones.

Back