• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NewEgg Pocketing Extra Shipping Costs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
NewEgg is too bid for their britches, as my grandma would say. Their customer service department is understaffed and underinformed.

I'm involved in a refund dispute that looks to be wrapping up, and as soon as it's completed I'll post my side of the story here.

The egg is rapidly becoming a victim of its own success. Used to be THE ONE AND ONLY site I would go to for electronics. I've shifted elsewhere now. Free shipping shows up less and less nowadays.

I've also seen a lot of nit picking by people over little things that go mostly tolerated (because they're standard business practices) but because they're newegg, the world is obviously ending.

This is rather lame but for the most part it is very difficult to complain about newegg. For one, they give you low prices and customer service. How often do you get both bargain deals and that? Also put it in perspective how Compusa and Best Buy... er Worst Buy treats it's customers. There are threads on here where people are whining and moaning that Newegg doesn't ship replacement products back in time or that after offering two or three resolutions to their RMA problem (replacement, return, and discount), they're clearly not being fair. Heck, at Best buy people have had to argue with the store's manager just to return an item under the store's terms! SSS had to spend nearly an hour on the phone with Staples just to get a rather heavily advertised price match guarantee.

Just throwing that bit out there so that this doesn't turn into a "Newegg sucks" thread.

I've never had a negative experience from any of my Newegg purchases. Although, I do feel that there are better, more competitive sites out there now. Lately, I haven't even been ordering from Newegg because I can find better deals elsewhere. Seems like Newegg needs to do something if they want to get back on top.

Moto7451 said:
. For one, they give you low prices and customer service. How often do you get both bargain deals and that?
I believe more and more companies are now realizing this is a VERY important factor in keeping customers and attracting new ones. I recently had a problem with a product at ClubIT. Called up their support and wasn't on the phone for more than 5 minutes before it was resolved.

Just throwing that bit out there so that this doesn't turn into a "Newegg sucks" thread.
Indeed, NewEgg still has lots of deals and they have always shipped my stuff out quickly. I'll still use them, but hey, this is news! I don't use Overnight shipping and I didn't preorder Halo 3, so this doesn't apply to me.

I've never had a negative experience from any of my Newegg purchases. Although, I do feel that there are better, more competitive sites out there now. Lately, I haven't even been ordering from Newegg because I can find better deals elsewhere. Seems like Newegg needs to do something if they want to get back on top.

True but you need to still keep your prices high enough to actually make money. In a traditional brick and mortar store (before the internet anyways), the manufacturer's pice is on average twice their cost to make the product. In turn, the distributor or retailer's price is twice that. In some cases a "wholesale" price will be extended to other businesses (20%-30% off).

Businesses like Walmart and Costco then decided to sell to the public at wholesale. This caused a change in the market which snubbed some companies out because they couldn't compete based on price. Fedco here in SoCal was squeezed out of the market because as it lowered it's prices to compete, they couldn't keep the doors open. Fedco was never not busy, but it was unfortunately cheaper for them to be closed on Wednesdays than it was to be open the rest of the week towards the end of it's life span.

This is happening on the internet as well. Things we sell at work are sold at wholesale (or cheaper) on places like Amazon.com, sometimes by the manufacturers themselves. This really hurts our business. Why would someone buy a book for $30 in store or on our website when they can get it for $20 on amazon, new, in shrink wrap from the publisher (with free shipping if they buy $25 worth of stuff). Worse yet the same item may be sold by an Amazon.com seller for $17 brand new. It's not only bad for us, but bad for the seller because they don't realize until they've lost money that the two dollars they're charging over cost is not going to pay the bills. None the less, all of this is great for the consumer.

Newegg is selling items below retail as is. I don't know their business so I don't know if they're getting a 50% discount or a 20% discount (and they're not about to tell anyone). If they start in the same rush to the bottom other industries are going through, then they could end up going out of business. Newegg seems to be a rather smart bunch, so I'm sure their prices will reach a point where they just can't go further and will compete by being Newegg and delivering the Newegg experience. Thats the only reason why my company has lasted 31 years in a traditionally low margin market (Martial Arts equipment and supplies).

The one time I had a dispute with Newegg's practices (an RMA) I went on to their live chat and the tech cleared it up in literally, no more than 5 minutes. I was happy as a clam. Newegg still is the best in my books.

Can't make every single person happy over every little nitpicked detail.

Newegg gets a 9.9/10 from me only because nobody can possible make every single customer out of millions happy, but 999,000 out of 1 million is pretty good.

It's sad that this happened... perhaps NewEgg is taking advantage of the fact that they are NewEgg... I will keep my analogies to myself, but you could easily relate this to politics, and the big man doesn't stay in power forever.

Don't crumble the empire you've built, NewEgg!!! Greed is the root of all evil!!

I am done ith Newegg. They have NO customer service worthy of mentioning. Just wait for Aaron's editorial.

I am done ith Newegg. They have NO customer service worthy of mentioning. Just wait for Aaron's editorial.

....? I absolutely love NewEggs CS. Theyve always been helpful with me. I remember about a year ago I ordered a DVD burner, and about 2 days afterwards they dropped the price by $10. I was a litttle irked about it, and decided to send them an email. Might as well try, right?
They gave me a $10 off coupon for whatever my next purchase was as soon as I was done explaining what happened. They could have easily said I was SOL.
Not even that keeps me at the Egg though. What keeps me there is the Customer Reviews. Im not the top guy when it comes to PC's, so I love seeing that the average rating from 700 people is a 4/5 stars on a particular hard drive. That closes the deal for me.

I've used newegg MANY times and spent more than $15,000 on their website. In the 3 years that I've been using them... I have only had a problem once... (a case that came with the wrong psu) and they quickly refunded the money that a new PSU would cost.

I do purchasing for the corporate world, and newegg's ease of use (plus their new business program) sends large channel companies that I work with (Synnex, TechData, etc) down the river crying.

While I don't agree with their dishonesty in this situation, I don't think Newegg as a whole has had a decrease in service, and with the money that I save, and the confidence that I have in their fast shipping methods... I will buy from them again and again.

Also... I use overnight shipping a lot... when I need things in a hurry, and I have never been disappointed. I've even asked them for a shipping reduction, because I had a $15 order that I wanted overnight (they wanted to charge 40 or something for shipping) and they took $20 off of the shipping price.

They are a great company... and this is either an isolated incident... or just a mistake on their end.

Jordan

I've spent tons of money on the egg as well;

I've only ever had one bad experience with an egg order, and it turned out to be my banks fault, not the egg.

This seems rather trivial to me.

I once complained that the tracking information wasn't being updated on a particular order. Then it came that day. I sent an apologizing email and they sent me a free gift.

Newegg may have competition out there now and hardly any free shipping anymore, but their speed hasn't been matched yet.

im sure with this extra money that they make they are going to give it back to us in some other form of coupon or something. or give bonuses to a bunch of people making CS better. I doubt any 1 person is going to pocket all of it.

Dear Customers,

We truly apologize for any inconvenience. We appreciate you taking the time to post your informative review. Please do understand that we are here to make your shopping experience with us a great one, we strive for only the best customer service. For any of you who have had a bad experience, please contact me directly by either email at [email protected] or via telephone at 800-390-1119 ext. 25040 and I will try my best to correct whatever issue you may have. Also, for those with praise, we sincerely Thank you and appreciate you greatly :)

Thank you.

idk if i read it right or not but if i did that map looks pretty lawls..... since i live in calif. and my standard ground shipping usually gets her 2 days after i order an item and that's with processing... map says it takes like 4-5 days.... I <3 newegg

Dear Customers,

We truly apologize for any inconvenience. We appreciate you taking the time to post your informative review. Please do understand that we are here to make your shopping experience with us a great one, we strive for only the best customer service. For any of you who have had a bad experience, please contact me directly by either email at [email protected] or via telephone at 800-390-1119 ext. 25040 and I will try my best to correct whatever issue you may have. Also, for those with praise, we sincerely Thank you and appreciate you greatly :)

Thank you.

Hee Hee... case in point.

I love NewEgg.

Back