• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newer computer a little unstable help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yzfspecvr6

Build this computer about 6 months ago or so, Look in signature for build.

Problems

1: Sometimes when the pc is off, I turn it on and it freezes at the asus loading screen right before windows.
2: random freezes, or computer will restart and have power, but no display.
3: Ive also had during a crash, windows 10 repair loop that would not repair computer, I have to drain the power from my capacitors on motherboard, to reset bios to get back into windows.

Other that that, computer runs like a champ, some days it runs fine all day long, sometimes its on all night and day well im gone, I get on and use it for 20 mins and it will crash. Some days it doesn't crash or freeze at all, some days it will crash 5 times and its annoying.

Trying to get to the root of my problem, should I buy a better motherboard is its a bottleneck?

Motherboard is definitely weak for the CPU, no doubt there.

How old is that PSU?

Tried cleaning up drivers and making sure they're all up to date?

Had a lame hyper cool 850watt that blew out on me with this build it i went cheap on the psu money waa tight at the moments this current psu is only 2 months old about.

Yes drivers are up to date I keep my computer clean and organized ocd style.

The first problem it freezing on load right before windows has happen since day 1.

The other problems are in the last 2 weeks or so and seem to be getting worse and worse.

If majority vote the mob could be my problem I'm in the market to buy a new one. But by all means if it's not broken I don't fix it. Just want to find out what's wrong and the mobo is the only thing I can think of.

Have you tried running a chkdsk /f /r?
What about startup repair?

Yes says it has found no errors. Start up repair won't work either. My pc will crash and restart fine after a few crashes windows will try to repair won't but and stay in a repair loop cause it won't boot to windows. Then I'll reset bios and boot into windows and be fine again until a few crashes later when windows try to repair it again then I rinse and repeat.

Can you post screens shots of the following tabs in Cpu-Z, Cpu, Spd and Memory. Here is how to use the in forum hosting tool. Capture4.PNG

How can i check the crash errors? im not getting a blue screen that shows a error if thats what your asking, just pc freeze, or restarts then i have no display, but pc will still have power.

Here is the screen shots

cpu.png
memory.png
spd.png

- - - Updated - - -

Im not overclocking anything, running at factory settings.

Reason I asked for the above screen shots is I thought a possible cause was running 2400 Mhz ram, some of the Fx chips need more Cpu Nb voltage in order to run those type of speeds. You are actually running your sticks at 1600 Mhz so that is not likely the issue.

When you say it freezes then restarts does it re start on its own or do you have to hold the power button.

One thing i would try is if you have a spare fan lying around see if you can mount it to the VRM section of the board with double sided tape. Another option is getting a house fan, pulling the side door off and pointing it at the motherboard. My thought is the VRM section of the board is getting hot and causing the freezing.

The area in red is what I'm trying to cool off.
Capture.jpg

It restarts on its own but I won't have display....

I have like 8 total fans in my case and my case is huge. Heat didn't even cross my mind but I'll see what I can do

First thing that came to my mind is also what Atminside stated in post 2. The motherboard is weak for a fx 8xxx chip. The VRM section being 4+1 is definitely going to struggle trying to feed the FX 8xxx the voltage it needs, even with good case airflow. Actively cooling that area may prove to be helpful.

So would buying a new mobo solve my problem and if so what should I look for spec wise. This was my first pc build so I'm still learning.

Well buying a new motherboard could solve your issues, if it is indeed the root of the issue, which we do not know yet. You may be able to check the VRM temps with software such as Hwmonitor or Open Hwmonitor, if the board has a temp sensor there and/or the software can read it.

I would hate to see you go out and but a new board and still have the same issues. The reasoning behind us pointing towards the motherboard is these Fx 8xxx chips are very demanding power wise on the power phase section of the board. When one is running a board with a weak power phase section, especially one without heatsinks on it, they tend to overheat and cause instability. In my experience when the Fx 8xxx chips are put on boards that cannot handle the power draw they will freeze like yours is. That said it may be something else causing the issue, why I would not go out and buy a board just yet. If you put some active cooling directly on the VRM section and the freezing stops then we know that it is the issue. If the freezing doesn't stop it may or may not be the board and only further investigation will help us make a better judgement.

Well my man cave room is the hottest in the house. I live in florida so when the rest of the house is 78 nice and cool, my room is about 83-84 and humid.

Winter is here and it will start to cool off, Ill start monitor my temps, and see if that could be a issue.

Any other ideas on how to cool off the VRM, I really dont want to use double sided sticky tape and a fan lol. I tried to find VRM heat sinks for my mobo but no luck.

You could try putting a fan there just to see if it alleviates the issue? For heatsinks just do a search for mosfet heatsinks there are plenty on the market. Though, I would temporarily put a fan there first just to see if the VRM heating up is indeed the issue.

Not sure if this is related, just keeping this post updated because i need my pc working 100%.

I went into bios, was in there for about 10 mins. I was turning on fan speed up, and just looking around to see what all was in my bios since ive never really checked before.
I went to save and reboot, pc wouldn't reboot showed no hard drives expect my external hard drives.
Had to reset bios settings with jumper, and then back bam to normal again.

Something I should be concern about?

Was using my computer for about 4 hours or so, surfing web music what not. Worked fine.

Launched a game called world of warcraft, 5 minutes into the game pc shut down and restarted.

Think you guys are right, its heat related.

With putting my pc on heavy load, I hand touched the VRMs, and they are hot as hell, almost to hot to touch by fingers, its bearable but still way to hot then what it should be.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction at least, now I at least know what to do.

Now I know on my next build to look for heat sinks on vrms as well.

Back