• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF7-S: workaround to use 160GB HDD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I agree with Lvcoyote, even stock cooling may allow 1.7 and higher. GL with it, and I'm glad this helped :)

I am baaack :)

started to get some spontaneous reboots (most of the time while doing nothing) and so, I got the memtest86 and ran it today. It passed without a single error :)

Now, I have since added another stick of Corsair Value Select.
First stick (when I first started this thread) had VS256MB400 on the sticker.

New stick has VS256MB400C3 on it. Any difference? Also, system is more unstable now with the second stick. Have them in slots 3 and 2, respectively.

As I said, memtest went off without a hitch.

Was wondering if maybe the Vcore or Vdimm needs more mods.

The bump from stock 1.65 to 1.7 on the Vcore worked wonders. Kudos, yo4444 ;)

The Vdimm is set at optimal in the BIOS (7-3-2-2.5).

MBM is reporting the Vcore at 1.68 still after the bump in the BIOS. Vcore Temp is about 51C at idle.

Oh, got SP2 and the 160GB HDD install went fine, not a hitch :)

Let me know if there is anything else you need to know.

System Specs (current hardware being used)

NF7-S v2.0
XP 2600+: [Tbred B 333FSB]
AXDA2600DKV3D F368203920258
JIUHB 0337MPM
2 X 256MB Corsair Value Select PC3200
Asus V8200 T2/Deluxe (GeForce3 64MB DDR)
30GB IBM 75GXP 7200/2MB ATA-100

Thanks in advance.

SR

SR-71A said:
System Specs (current hardware being used)

NF7-S v2.0
XP 2600+: [Tbred B 333FSB]
AXDA2600DKV3D F368203920258
JIUHB 0337MPM
256MB Corsair Value Select PC3200
Asus V8200 T2/Deluxe (GeForce3 64MB DDR)
30GB IBM 75GXP 7200/2MB ATA-100

~~~~~~~
Only devices from old rig are the vid card and the HDD.
Hard drive low level formatted using only Win setup.
I have reformatted the drive several times, only to get 0x7E errors during XP setup, and with 98SE, it would install and then I would get the "FAT(0) VXD" BSOD.

For right now, I have given up totally on the 160GB drive as I said in my long post. Sorry if I confused anyone (again.... or still ;) ). For right now, I just want to use the 30GB 75GXP to get an OS period.

Things I have noticed lately:
~ The ancient 52X ATA-33 CDROM sometimes is reported as gibberish during the "detecting IDE drives". Only on occasion, but still... might this CDROM be too old to use? I have a non-ATA100 cable on it, using it as secondary master (no slave). I tried to copy the 98SE dir onto the HD after fdisk and formatting... and tried to run setup from the drive. Seemed to cause registry errors, as it would hang on Registry Checker on reboot.

In consideration of the ATA-33 CDROM, I have also tried the BIOS option "Delay IDE initial" to 5 seconds to see if that would help the discrepency in drive speeds.

Thanks, and hope this gives a clearer picture of what is actually going on, etc.

Just my thoughts..
This problem with 127GB barrier remainds me a Solaris x86 problem of LBA32 address translation.They had also this limit...
Have you checked if there are any jumpers that limit the space of the disk to make it compatible with older mobos and OSes ?
What type is your 160 drive ?
If your 30GB IBM is a deskstar one... ... just search on the internet about "ibm deathstar"

68hc11 said:
Just my thoughts..
This problem with 127GB barrier remainds me a Solaris x86 problem of LBA32 address translation.They had also this limit...

Mobo recognized the drive from the first boot. The issues was *not* having SP2. This was fixed once I was able to install SP2 on the 'Deathstar' and use the WD Data Lifeguard tools to format the new drive. No longer an issue :-D

Yes, I am beginning to wonder about the IBM... I bought it when it was brand new to the market and now just use it for a "spare" to setup/ghost. In this case, it was used as the primary boot drive, the 160GB WD added *after* SP2 was installed.

just search on the internet about "ibm deathstar"

Will do.

Thanks,
SR

Hey guys (and gals)

I fixed the deal by upping the Vcore to 1.725 and not ONE BSOD.

Did a fresh install of XP SP2 and we are runnin.

Be back when I want to see what I can really do with this thing.

You all have been most kind.

Kind regards.
SR

Back