• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No bigadv work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Are you kidding me?!?!?!? 35C under load??? That can't be right...

Load says 0...He must be using smoke and mirrors..:sn:

Wow, good eye Dave! I can't imagine what would account for that, as the WU had been running for at least 3 frames.

Right or not.....update RealTemp Tim ;)

http://www.mediafire.com/?f4cybi6zf06d1cb

Here's a shot @4.8ghz(using turbo); makes me a little nervous, especially in retrospect- knowing that RT was inaccurate.

48ghz.png

I did drop back to the 4.6ghz turbo setting, and updated Real-Temp(thank you Cuda!).

rt265.png

I'll probably leave the clock at 4.6ghz, as the temps are in the upper range of my comfort zone, especially since the ambient temps are alot lower right now, than say, August.
:eek:

If CPU-Z is right... that's some hefty voltage you're running there Tim. I'm, personally, not going to go over 1.35v under load. Bios and idle may be a little higher.

I've heard those auto turbo OCs run the voltage up higher than it needs to be. You should go back and tweak things some more and either go for a higher OC or lower voltages :burn:

If CPU-Z is right... that's some hefty voltage you're running there Tim. I'm, personally, not going to go over 1.35v under load. Bios and idle may be a little higher.

I've heard those auto turbo OCs run the voltage up higher than it needs to be. You should go back and tweak things some more and either go for a higher OC or lower voltages :burn:

Yes, I had read a couple reviews where >1.35v was risky, but hadn't noticed that my CPU-Z voltage was scary, until youze guys mentioned it. ;)

I disabled "turbo" and set the multi manually to 42, memory to 1.5v, and CPU volts to 1.35v, with a +0.005v offset; Windows wouldn't boot without the offset. CPUZ is actually showing 1.36v ATM. Temps are real acceptable, below mid 60s C.

Yes, I had read a couple reviews where >1.35v was risky, but hadn't noticed that my CPU-Z voltage was scary, until youze guys mentioned it. ;)

I disabled "turbo" and set the multi manually to 42, memory to 1.5v, and CPU volts to 1.35v, with a +0.005v offset; Windows wouldn't boot without the offset. CPUZ is actually showing 1.36v ATM. Temps are real acceptable, below mid 60s C.

Yep... I'm running without Turbo too. Currently with @ 46 multi with 1.35v in bios and LLC enabled... which yields 1.32~1.33v in Windows under P95 load. I hope this is where I end up, but I'll back down to the 45 multi if I have to. That was my goal to begin with. My temps are 65~70C depending on which core you pick. I have one that seems to consistently be ~5C higher.

As far as CPU-Z goes... it must be real in tune with the vcore on your board. CPU-Z doesn't read the vcore on my board correctly at all. I've been using CPUID HWMonitor. It does a very nice job... temps and correct vcore in one window. :)

I'm gonna finish up this P6900 before I do anymore OCing, it's at 66% completion and getting about 27mins 55sec TPF.

Maybe I can grab a couple more multi's if I drop the memory back to DDR3 1333, or maybe set to Auto.

Question about -bigadv..
Could me using 2 GPUs be the cause on me not getting bigadv?
Are the GPUs using to much of the CPU for bigadv to work?

Question about -bigadv..

It doesn't look for other clients or current system load. So you should be able to download a bigadv as long as they are available. Completing one on time on the other hand can depend on what else you have running on the system.

Question about -bigadv..

Nope... the assignment server only cares about the availability of 8-cores and enough memory (I think it's ~3000MB).

Nope... however, running GPUs can/will negatively impact the performance of the SMP client. When I run bigadv on my i7s I use the following to start my client (your exe name may be different):

fah.exe -smp 7 -bigadv -verbosity 9

Note the 7 behind the -smp flag. This will ensure the SMP core process only runs 7 threads of the 8 available, leaving one thread for GPUs to work with. At your OC (4GHz) you can easily do this and still make the deadlines on the work units. One less thread really doesn't impact the SMP client performance that badly. In fact, in my experience, it's better than making both clients jockey for time on that last thread.

Nope... the assignment server only cares about the availability of 8-cores and enough memory (I think it's ~3000MB).

Nope... however, running GPUs can/will negatively impact the performance of the SMP client. When I run bigadv on my i7s I use the following to start my client (your exe name may be different):

fah.exe -smp 7 -bigadv -verbosity 9

Note the 7 behind the -smp flag. This will ensure the SMP core process only runs 7 threads of the 8 available, leaving one thread for GPUs to work with. At your OC (4GHz) you can easily do this and still make the deadlines on the work units. One less thread really doesn't impact the SMP client performance that badly. In fact, in my experience, it's better than making both clients jockey for time on that last thread.

I should add the EXE name also?
What I have is:
-smp -verbosity 9 -bigadv.

Harlams post is the command line start string. If you've got your flags in extra parameters, don't add the executable to the string. If you add the flags in a shortcut, the executable will already be there in the target line.

I really wish they would have never added that extra parameters option to the config. I suppose it was to support the v6 GUI really. I don't ever use it and really forget about it a lot of times. I'm a command line purist. :)

Thanks guys.. P2685 is a bigadv?
If so I got one after I set the 7 after -smp 7...

extra parameters is a must to run as a service, which is one of the principal advantages of 6.30 over the previous versions.

extra parameters is a must to run as a service, which is one of the principal advantages of 6.30 over the previous versions.

Service? Oh yeah, I quit that years ago too... well, after MPI came into the mix; and since it just got out of the mix (6.30) then it probably has truly been years. :D

I remember manually editing the service keys on my Wedo installs so I could get the extra parameters in there. So yeah... I can see that as a benefit. When one specifies the extra parameters, does it show up in the log file as Arguments: after the Executable:?

Back