• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No Man's Sky, is anyone else excited?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Is this an online based game like WoW or PoE where latency matters? Or can you solo like Warframe?

Asking because of my super high latency. I don't want to buy a game I can't play.

Its basically offline game. Only online portion is if traveling to another system or accessing the galaxy map (my guess not that far yet) it would download names within the area if people visited that area.
Weather its the system, planet name, sites on the planet, plant names and even animal names. Those can all be renamed from what it looks like before you upload it into the "matrix" and get some credits.

Weather there will be future "MP like" features added who knows. Like the stations or bases... sounds interesting where you could maybe build it and it will then be there for people to potentially visit. Though the verse is huge... so chances of running into someone is very very slim let alone someone you might want to be with. Planets are gigantic to say the least. You could spend weeeeks exploring a planet. The one at least I started on and back on again, trying to remember but its either 1 Million KM squared or 1 Billion KM squared with multiple bases / area's on each planet. I took off into space scanned and found another spot on the planet, flew to it landed and then if I started to walk it would take over 3 hours to get to my original start area, took a good 2min to fly that distance skirting between in and outside the atmosphere (easier to steer).

You worry too much about the endgame and not enough about the journey, from what i have read its an exploration game, and this is what you do, explore (kinda like Mass Effect). How would MP improve on this in any way ? having thousands of players running around taking the little loot you can find and making progress difficult if not impossible ?

Actually finding resources... least so far the things I'm finding weather it be common, uncommon, or rare seems to be found relativity easily with a little walking around. If its not where you are you could walk 4-5min one direction and you'd probably find it. The density of the items do change from area's to area's.

Last edited:
You worry too much about the endgame and not enough about the journey, from what i have read its an exploration game, and this is what you do, explore (kinda like Mass Effect). How would MP improve on this in any way ? having thousands of players running around taking the little loot you can find and making progress difficult if not impossible ?

I just don't like playing games alone. There are a few single player games I will dive into here and there (Mass Effect, Skyrim, Fallout, etc), but for the most part I do not enjoy spending my free time playing a game solo. There are many mechanics that could be put in place to prevent "thousands of players running around taking the little loot you can find"... Such as Diablo 3's famous loot workaround (each player receiving their own rewards).

I'm not worried about the end game so much as I'm worried about traveling a vast and empty universe with no one to interact with. I get the fact that space is lonely and that might be part of what they want the "feel" of the game to be - but I know they would do better with sales/popularity if you could fly around with your friends and build/change things across the planets together. Having a lack of community within such a new and robust game just baffles me. It would be far more exciting to travel from planet to planet knowing that there are players out there that I could run into and team up with.

Obviously they have some sort of MP system in the works - I just hope it's a full out MP release and not limited to certain areas/events. I'd have bought it if I could team up with someone to explore with, but without that element I'd feel like I'm wandering planets/star systems just doing what the text on the screen is telling me to do. I just play games differently, I like to mess around and break things rather than follow the objectives :). Add in a friend to do that with and you've got endless hours of gameplay.

The fun of having it be MP would be able to join up with a friend and go exploring together. They said it would be unlikely to see another player, but it was shown that with two people at the exact same spot on the same planet each of their experiences were entirely instances/separate and they couldn't see each other at all.

I assume they are using the distortion of space and time to explain this. No two people traveling from different planets to the same one would see each other unless their planets of origin are the same distance from their destination and they both traveled at the same rate of speed. Simply put, it would be near impossible to find yourself in the same place and time as another player when you are involving traveling at the speed of light.

Whether this is them creating a realistic universe or the company being too lazy to design a MP system with release, I do not know. I simply have not read enough yet to say myself.

I have been playing it on PC and initial impressions... I love it! I will admit I was displeased to hear that you will never really meet another human player, and it almost put me off buying it, but after playing it for a little bit I understand why and I'm OK with it.

I can't wait to sink some serious hours into this game!

I will admit I was displeased to hear that you will never really meet another human player, and it almost put me off buying it, but after playing it for a little bit I understand why and I'm OK with it.

Can you please elaborate on this ? curious to see good and bad before i think about getting it :) My major issue (and completely ruined The Division for me) is the free PvP in certain areas, some random ***** can just attack you for jollies and ruin your day. Fixed that in World of Warcraft by only making characters in non-PvP realms but most games that simply cant be done :(

Can you please elaborate on this ? curious to see good and bad before i think about getting it :) My major issue (and completely ruined The Division for me) is the free PvP in certain areas, some random ***** can just attack you for jollies and ruin your day. Fixed that in World of Warcraft by only making characters in non-PvP realms but most games that simply cant be done :(

Unless something changes, there's not interaction between you and anyone else.

I had the unique experience of learning about this game 3 days ago, so i had no hype train to be disappointed by. I pre-ordered a copy on Wednesday for the bonus content (new starter ship), since i was already planning on buying it after watching some ps4 footage, and i knew if i didn't like it within 2 hours i could return it. The primary complaint with people right now seems to be that it's a sloppily done ps4 port, and that complaint does have some merit. The graphics aren't up to PC standards, but the art style makes up for this pretty well. There is a little bit of graphical buggy-ness to it, but I'm not sure it's as horrible as everyone on steam reviews and reddit make it out to be.

I got to play for about 3 hours after work last night. After the first 5 minutes all the graphic stuttering and jittery behavior sorted itself out, and i was able to move my settings up to high. Both my 1080 and CPU were staying below 50% utilization, so i don't understand why so many people are having issues running the game on medium-high spec rigs. Maybe i just got lucky.

As for the game itself, i really enjoy open world games, especially ones that involve grinding and managing resources (minecraft, factorio) so I can see gathering resources to sell off in the market to save for bigger ships and whatnot becoming fairly addicting. I'm still in the early stages of the game, so take what i have to say with a grain of salt, but I am worried that the game lacks a certain amount of... interesting content. After 3 hours, i've already noticed that all of the outposts I'm running into are all pretty much the same. I'm having the same interactions with the same npc's in similar buildings. Like many others have said, it feels like the developers had grand visions for this game, and worked hard at it. They created a universe that is virtually limitless, and when you fly around from planet to planet you genuinely feel like you're in the vast emptiness of space, but then they hit their deadline and ran out of time. It feels like there's so much more untapped potential in this universe.

The repetition of interactions with npc's and the fact that this game has no real multiplayer really hurts it's long-term replay ability in my mind. I'm significantly more likely to dedicate the time it takes to grind for better ships/equipment if i can share the experience with a friend. Only interacting with npc's means I'll probably just finish the storyline, and uninstall.

Is it worth $60? Probably not, this should have been an early access release but I don't regret buying it. It's not perfect, and it probably won't live up to the massive hype that surrounded it's release, but it's a good game for relaxing and listening to music or podcasts.

Is it worth $60? Probably not, this should have been an early access release but I don't regret buying it. It's not perfect, and it probably won't live up to the massive hype that surrounded it's release, but it's a good game for relaxing and listening to music or podcasts.

I could not agree more with this. Having played the game for a couple hours, I an not disappointed or overjoyed. The game is not, by any standards, perfect. I've also been reading a lot of PC players having issues with just getting the game to start. Most of the issues are coming from players not having a CPU that supports SSE 4.1 (reading a lot of people with AMD Phenom and Phenom IIs having issues). This will hopefully soon be resolved by a patch.

The game does stutter a bit at the beginning but it smooths out after a couple minutes of playing, and I don't have the latest and greatest parts on my rig. Settings with everything on High.

Its a great game to slow things down and just enjoy what you are looking at. The music is good chill music to explore around space, so it gets some points from me there. The graphics are not the best, I was expecting a little better, but what they are is not bad. I don't think it deserves all the hate it is getting, but I can see how some who rode the hype train for so long would be disappointed.

Yeah, it does crash a good amount. Depending on how long I play, usually between 1 and a couple hours, I'll crash once or twice. It still has some kinks that need to be ironed out, but I have been reading the dev team is putting in overtime to resolve crashing issues. And rumors of a new HD graphics patch??? Slim chance it is true, but it would be pretty cool to see some better graphics (*cough cough* the sky when on planet surface could use some work).

All-in-all I would say this game is a good buy for someone who enjoys games like minecraft, but specifically roaming around in minecraft to see all the biomes and such that the game generated not really the building part.

I've also been reading a lot of PC players having issues with just getting the game to start. Most of the issues are coming from players not having a CPU that supports SSE 4.1 (reading a lot of people with AMD Phenom and Phenom IIs having issues). This will hopefully soon be resolved by a patch.
Crap. :-/
All-in-all I would say this game is a good buy for someone who enjoys games like minecraft, but specifically roaming around in minecraft to see all the biomes and such that the game generated not really the building part.
Awesome :) I play Minecraft a lot, one of my favorite games ever!

Sounds like No Man's Sky should be a hit for me at least.
Sucks to hear it's not all it's cracked up to be but hey, that's okay in my books.

Kind of late to the thread, but my refund of No Man's Sky was processed this morning. Played it a little over the weekend and couldn't find anything about it worth $60. I'm all for open exploration games, but "land on slightly cartoony planet #4 and gather resources to get to slightly cartoony planet #5" seems kinda dull in the long run.

Well, I took the plunge and gave it a try.
I am pleasantly surprise how fast the game sucked me in.
It's a pretty big learning curve when you first jump in, there's no "tutorial" mission like some games. Personally, I prefer that. I hate being told what to do for the first 30min of gameplay. This game literally throws you on a planet in a crashed ship and you have to figure things out. After 15min though, you'll have it all down.
I had about 30 minutes to play before I wanted to go to bed last night, ended up playing for over 2 hours.
This quote was what had me most worried:
"The developers aimed for a 90–10 rule, with around 90% of the planets being uninhabitable, and of the 10% that do support life, 90% of those only include mundane lifeforms, making the planets that thrive with a vivid ecosystem rare."
However the planet I started on had many lifeforms, lots of dog-like creatures during the day and few larger creatures at night. Second planet I landed on had even more. And you can kill them for resources or feed them and make friends.
And the game ran smoothly for me. No loading issues, no crashing. The only two issues I had were 1) That it loaded everything in 1080p and required a forced reboot to switch resolution which at first switched to 1980x1440 and after second reboot got me going in 2560x1440 and 2) Graphically it's not super impressive, the environments are very polygonal. Space exploration is fantastic, very well done. I just wish the planets had a little more life-like texture to them. A very small complaint though, overall it's very well done.

I'm all for open exploration games, but "land on slightly cartoony planet #4 and gather resources to get to slightly cartoony planet #5" seems kinda dull in the long run.

It definitely appeals to a certain type of player. People who like to explore, gather, build, etc will find it very entertaining. People who like games like Battlefield will find it entirely boring. If you like fast paced games, probably not for you either. Even with the hyperdrive, it took like 2 minutes of flying to get to another planet. Overall, I can see myself sinking quite a few hours into it just exploring. Replay value is definitely not there though. Once you get to the 'center', I'm not sure why you'd continue playing since you've completed the only objective laid out.

Played a couple of hours this afternoon: I like it. Slow pace, good music.

Runs in the 55/60FPS@1080p maxed out (except shadoows on medium and FXAA) with my 4 years old 7970, with a few drops (more like stutter) evry once in a while.

I like the design, interface is OK. Both with pad and mouse.

Just explored a couple of planets til now...

huge thread/list of the false promises/misleading advertising/etc for NMS:

They won't be getting my money, especially not now that I know what happens when you reach the center of the galaxy....

you basically "prestige" and start over with your ship/multitool that you had when you reached it...

After a few more days of playing, I'm actually growing bored of it already.
Most of the planets look the same. Most of the resources are the same. It took me a few hours just to find a few upgrade plans, which then take a few more hours to gather the same old resources to make.
I actually started attacking other ships out of boredom, which is a bad idea because out of nowhere 3-4 other ships show up and shoot you down.

huge thread/list of the false promises/misleading advertising/etc for NMS:

They won't be getting my money, especially not now that I know what happens when you reach the center of the galaxy....

you basically "prestige" and start over with your ship/multitool that you had when you reached it...

So maybe get it on a grey market site and pay half the asking price??

Back