• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NO Overclocking required...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

inwell

Registered
Hi,

New Year Greetings......

I purchased a AMD FX 8150(3.6) along with ASUS M5A97 R2.0

RAM CORSAIR Vengence 1600 (8Gbx4)

Now what i want is NO OC at all...

So what settings should i select in BIOS ? or just loading DEFAULTS will set EVERYTHING to STOCK..?

What should be my vcore voltage at stock (3.6Ghz) ?

(This is my first ever AMD system so i m just shocked to see so many settings in BIOS )

regards

Hi,

New Year Greetings......

I purchased a AMD FX 8150(3.6) along with ASUS M5A97 R2.0

RAM CORSAIR Vengence 1600 (8Gbx4)

Now what i want is NO OC at all...

So what settings should i select in BIOS ? or just loading DEFAULTS will set EVERYTHING to STOCK..?

What should be my vcore voltage at stock (3.6Ghz) ?

(This is my first ever AMD system so i m just shocked to see so many settings in BIOS )

regards

You don't need to do anything at all, just leave everything at default.

It is good you do not want to overclock because that ASUS M5A97 R2.0 motherboard is very poorly equipped to overclock a high current draw FX-8150 cpu.

Neither AMD or Intel implement any kind of overclocking automatically. Overclocking requires purposeful intervention on the part of the user. However, there is the "Turbo" core boost technology built into the newer AMD CPUs as a factory default implementation that automatically speeds up some of the cores of the CPU when the system senses load.

i'm having the exact same issue. brand new board, with the new UEFI BIOS, and everything is underclocked. my normally 3.2GHz phenom and corsair 1866MHz are now 866MHz cpu and 667MHz ram. the only settings i can find that get my RAM up to where it should be won't let me boot.

all these other things like the iphone/ipad charging boost, neither of which i have, all these turbos and EPUs. i'm seriously considering returning it, but are there any modern mobos that don't have a UEFI BIOS?

Last edited:
The last hold-out which was Gigabyte has moved to UEFI bios and all had to to work with later Intel processor so they have all gone UEFI on Intel and AMD.

What you see with DDR1333 showing as your ram is by design of the memory manufacturer, in that they set the ram to boot at DDR1333 so it can be used in all systems. User must set DDR1866 in bios correctly. 866 Cpu speed is likely idle speed being set back due to Windows power management and Cool N Quiet. When I do any search of the net about such issue, there are more 'how-to' about such than I care to read.

i've seen the same how-tos. the only thing they don't cover is how to disable them. except for cool n quiet, i've turned that off. but it it won't go over 2.2GHz. there's no setting in my UEFI BIOS to get my ram to run at the correct 1866MHz. the motherboard supports it, and when i adjust settings i can only get it as high as 1700 and the boot process doesn't even get to POST.

does the gigabyte BIOS at least have an "off" setting? with no throttling or boosting?

The last hold-out which was Gigabyte has moved to UEFI bios and all had to to work with later Intel processor so they have all gone UEFI on Intel and AMD.

Did Gigabyte stay the longest with Bios because they want to appeal to the older userbase or because they weren't able to make use of the UEFI well?

Did Gigabyte stay the longest with Bios because they want to appeal to the older userbase or because they weren't able to make use of the UEFI well?

I don't really know. Gigabyte would surely not say yes or no to any question posed to them like that. I expect it was a simple case of economics. They held off spending to go with the newer tech as long as they could.

Eventually all motherboards are going to be sporting the UEFI style of bios because it is required for Windows 8 and the fast boot, what Microsoft wants, Microsoft gets !

Eventually all motherboards are going to be sporting the UEFI style of bios because it is required for Windows 8 and the fast boot, what Microsoft wants, Microsoft gets !

Yes, although Steam is slowly bringing more games to Linux with their open beta. :)

Back