• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED No Post after CPU cooler change

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bassnut

Premium Member
Just in case you all have some better ideas ......

Just getting around to my final packing and had to change the cooler on my CPU to get my side cover on. After it was all back together the system will not post. This is on my CHIVE ..... 1090T system and have to get this running as there is some files on it I need ASAP.

When I start it the LED will light for the CPU then move to RAM where it is stopped and will cycle back to CPU. I have taken the board out again ..... tried 3 different sets of ram, reset BIOS as well as a hard reset with jumper and battery and even swapped out a GPU just incase ...... still hangs at RAM.

Any thoughts or suggestions before I go looking for a new board?

I'm off to bed but will check in later .... :facepalm:

Last edited:
If I remember correctly another member had an issue similar and it was being caused by the heatsink. It don't remember exactly but removing it and re-installing it made the issue go away.

Yes I have tried 2 different coolers .... stock FX 8120 and FX 810 ..... same thing. Gotta see if I can find my thermal paste and try again ....... there's too many boxes........

Crap "bassnut", I don't want to be the one to say it but first check the cpu pins, then maybe a magnifying glass look at the main traces leaving the memory area headed to the cpu. One of those may have fractured. It is often the removal of the cpu coolers that are bolted on and moving to those OEMs that we have to wrestle with that bring the result you see. The board has sort of settled in and then we have to apply a generous amount of force to get the OEM cooler on and the memory socket traces to cpu suffer. I hope I am completely full of shett my man.
RGone...

Yes me to RGone ...... but had already come to that possibility. I have reseated the cooler once again, only had to go through 2 boxes to find my paste and that same issue remains. I'll check the pins in the am and if nothing changes will pickup a new board. Canada Computers have the R2 Sabertooth on now for 180 ...... probably my best bet.

Have you tried using just one stick of memory in the 4th slot?

If that doesn't pan out, you could try the memOK button. Here is a good video on how to use it:

That's a bummer bassnut. But if you've been eyeing the sabretooth, I'd get one before the gen 2's are gone. It's a great board.

Got the last Gen 2 in Ottawa..... 190 taxes in. Sale + 10% open box

Sweet !! So you're pretty certain you broke the MOBO?

Yes after everything I tried to get it working, there's no way that all 3 sets of ram didn't want to work. This is the second CHIVE that died on me the first the fan header popped on me. Was lucky that time Asus covered that. If I didn't need to get stuff off the drive I wouldn't have worried about it right now .... Sometimes **** happens.

Crap "bassnut", I don't want to be the one to say it but first check the cpu pins, then maybe a magnifying glass look at the main traces leaving the memory area headed to the cpu. One of those may have fractured. It is often the removal of the cpu coolers that are bolted on and moving to those OEMs that we have to wrestle with that bring the result you see. The board has sort of settled in and then we have to apply a generous amount of force to get the OEM cooler on and the memory socket traces to cpu suffer. I hope I am completely full of shett my man.
RGone...

Is there any best practice for mitigating damage from removing the cooler? I'd like to avoid this in the future.

So are you up and running. The emergency is over?
You''l enjoy that board. I have so far.

Is there any best practice for mitigating damage from removing the cooler? I'd like to avoid this in the future.
Be very careful and stay away from that stock H/S. They're a royal pain in the a** for AMD. Do it outside the box on a good solid work surface

So are you up and running. The emergency is over?
You''l enjoy that board. I have so far.

Be very careful and stay away from that stock H/S. They're a royal pain in the a** for AMD. Do it outside the box on a good solid work surface

I'll be on Intel. Same thing? I was planning on doing a baseline with the stock cooler but if it can cause some serious damage. I'll be skipping that.

I'll be on Intel. Same thing? I was planning on doing a baseline with the stock cooler but if it can cause some serious damage. I'll be skipping that.

Couldn't tell ya. I've never used them. AMD's have these clips that are a pain to get hooked up or even unhooked for that matted. Not familiar with the Intel setup.

No, they are completely different coolers and how they attach. Stock intel is push in style and barely holds on as is, LOL! I wouldnt worry about this personally. I dont know how many times I have removed every heatsink known to man with no problems.

Personally I find that push pin piece of garbage Intel fan to be a bigger pia to mount then the Amd ones. I find the Cm 212's mounting kit to be one of the easier ones to mount.

Surely everyone does not have such an issue. It really depends on how long the board has been in use and how hot and a number of variables. And even then it does not always happen. Now that said I have rubber cushions on my motherboard tray that contact the rear of the motherboard to take up the slack of the board not supported in that particular area. Then when I push down on the board to latch some of those heatsinks I am not supplying pressure and bending the board and take a chance on fracturing a weak memory trace.

The rubber cushions also help to offset the force of pushing some ram into the slots. I do not at all care for the new ram slots that require you to get one end hooked under the immovable latch and then push the ram down to lock it at the other end. There again my rubber cushions come into play.

Having worked for a motherboard company for over 6 years at one time, I learned a number of things that the average user does not often see. I made my provisions against such possibles. What others do is always their own business. I just was pretty certain from the exact description of the situation that 'bassnut' had likely been bitten by what most may never see and knowing he needed to get on with his project, only help to try and diagnose quickly what was the most likely problem. Without going around the world just guessing. He seemed to concurr with the diagnosis and got another board and completed his project. That is all really. Nothing more or less. Luck man.
RGone...

Yes ..... Things have been hecktic lately and regrettedly I cut some corners with my changeing coolers. Been doing this long enough I should know better but sometimes we can all be caught by overconfidence and cut corners in what we do. This case is unique and in sone ways a pain in the but .... If I hadn't won it I never would own one though for the right person an use it is a nice case.

I'm just finishing up work and will get this all changed over tonight .... Then back to packing.

Back