• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED No power?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WarWolf

Had my desktop die on my 12/20/2013. Finally got replacement graphic card, motherboard, and cpu.

I put it back together last night and it wouldn't boot. Tried minimal, nothing. Tried a different PSU, finally booted and got into BIOS. Was thinking my new PSU (CoolerMaster V850) had already died on me, so I put in my old one (Seasonic M12II-620) but had to hold off as I didn't have the PCI-E cables.

Got the cables today, put in the graphic card and PCI-E power cables, no boot. Tried minimal again (just 24-pin, cpu 8-pin, cpu, and cooler, nothing else connected) but still nothing. The PSU fan turns on for a second then nothing. If I switch it off and back on nothing, but if I clear CMOS it will do it again.

Any ideas where to go with this? Only thing I changed between when it would boot and now is to plug in the graphic card.

Last edited:
Then try it without the graphics card, should boot with the IGPU.

Nothing. Does the same thing. Tried minimal things installed and still nothing.

Update:
I took everything out and built it on cardboard. When I press the power button, the fans spin momentarily then stop. If I switch the PSU off and back on nothing. If I switch it off, press the Clear CMOS button, the fans spin (shorter than with the power button) then they spin again when I switch the PSU back on, before I press the power button. Then when I press it, they spin momentarily again.

Have I just never noticed this before with the Clear CMOS? Or is this a hint at what may be the issue.

Edit: Oops, probably could/should have edited previous post. My bad, forgot.

Last edited:
The thing to check is the PSU is ok. Try jumping it to make sure it comes on. The easiest way to do this is with one end of a paper clip inserted in the green wire and the other end in the black wire next to it. Insert the paper clip with the rocker switch in the off position, and once the clip is in, the throw the rocker switch to the on position. Does the PSU come on and stay on? Disconnect all the power leads from the motherboard before performing the test.

If the PSU checks out ok, then remove then CPU and check for bent pins in the CPU socket.

Post back what you find out.

Both PSUs came on just fine. Was hoping that would be the issue.

Motherboard issue? It was working before I added the graphic card, could it still be bent pin(s)? Before I put in the graphic card I was able to boot into BIOS before I turned it off to put it in. Now whether it's in or out it does the same thing.

Have you thought about the motherboard having gone belly up? Sounds like you have eliminated the PSU already and maybe the video cards. Make sure the video card and all memory sticks are fully seated.

About the ony thing I can think of is to make sure the power leads are connected to the video card and also the 8-pin AUX CPU. If all those are plugged in and you're sure you dont have any bent pins, it must be the MB.

Just got this motherboard as a warranty replacement. CPU, motherboard, and graphic card are all new replacements.

Tried re-seating everything, and tried pulling the RAM and graphic card out and still nothing. (When it was working and I had the RAM out it started enough to give me a debug LED readout, not anymore)

Sure sounds like a dead board then. Sorry you're having such bad luck with it, I have that same board and CPU running in the wife's system since it was first released and it's been running awesome the whole time. If you've tested everything else in another system then it sounds like you've done everything possible :(

Now to decide whether to go through the process and wait for another MRA, or just bite the bullet and buy a new board.

Leanings towards just getting it over with and buying a new board instead of waiting for the refurb one from the RMA. Any suggestions for what to go with? Stick with the Extreme4, or is there a better option? Would like to have a board that actually fits the ATX standard, instead of having a couple inches unsupported on the side. (Extreme4 is couple inches narrower than standard ATX)

ASUS has a board for around the same cost as that ASRock board.... their stuff works pretty good.

The P8Z77-V LK has the same narrower dimensions.

Looking in the sub-$200 range:
Between the MSI Z77A-GD65 Gaming $188 or the ASUS P8Z77-V Pro $158 right now, unless there is a better option. Both prices from Amazon, for Prime 1-day shipping.

Bought the Asus, just made it under the wire to get it here tomorrow. Unfortunately the MSI was out of stock everywhere I looked.

Back