• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NOISY volcano 11+ cpu fan!!! help!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadInsane

I have my thermaltake 11 fan on in "variable" mode so i can control the loudness of this monstrous beast. BUT, lately it has been getting loud for no reason, even at the lowest speed setting. It will get loud, then quiet, then loud, then quiet, etc. at random intervals. It sounds like there is something loose within the fan itself, but i have already reseated the fan and tightened the four screws holding down the 80mm fan in place. Anyone else have this weird experience?? :rolleyes:

Have you tried another Fan? Sounds like maybe the fan maybe on the way out and the bearings are going and if so thats not good...I'd replace it with say a Smartfan II.

Fans on the way out. Get it replaced before it leaves your processor running with no fan.

A vantec tornado on a fan controller or 7v mod is also good :)

Before replacing the fan, try oiling the bearing. Peal up the label, pop the rubber plug if there is one, and drip a few drops of oil onto the bearing. Then spin the blades around by hand to work the oil in. Fans can last a lot longer if you do this periodically. If it's still making noise afterwards it's probably time for a new fan.

It doesn't have a thermal probe to change the speed right? If not I would try oiling it but suggest getting a new fan SOON if that doesn't fix it perfectly.

Back