• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob - E5200 + PK5PL-AM = Rubbish?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ulti

Registered
I recently got a new E5200 and a P5kPL-AM mobo. However with the limited BIOS settings I can only manage to get up to 3.1ghz (Crashes in gaming and in certain stress tests though so I leave it on 3ghz for stability).

240*12.5 = 3.0 Ghz

I've tried settings such as 400*6, 333*8, 300*7 etc and it doesn't boot :/

I've got Corsair XMS2 800mhz 2GB RAM if that info is needed.

I just wanted to ask is it my CPU that is the crap here or the mobo?

Sorry if this is nooby but I'm not sure how to see if its my CPU that cant go any higher in FSB. (It can't boot higher than around 250 with any multiplier)

Thanks in advance!

You may have to manually set the RAM ratio. If the motherboard is trying to maintain a 1:1 or higher ratio it's possible the RAM is being pushed too high. It should show the estimated RAM speed in the BIOS maybe or on the POST screen that shows CPU etc. what does it show at 240 FSB?

Your board and chip will both limit you on the FSB attainable. Even on a high end board its going to be tough to get above 350FSB.

What settings are available in the BIOS?

Hmmm...how do you have your RAM divider set? If its set to 2:1 that could be causing issues as OCing to 250FSB puts your RAM at 1000 (300FSB=1200RAM, etc). You might need to lower your RAM divider, and also make sure your RAM voltage is set according to you RAM's spec.

Edit: 2 slow!

I set the RAM to 667mhz otherwise it doesn't boot up.

I don't think I can change the ratio myself with the limited options and it's set to 3:5 according to CPUZ

I'll take a photo of the settings but basically I can't change voltage and I can only adjust the memory latency between 3-15 or something lol.

Here ya go:
http://img17.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p200209012601kn6.jpg
http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/4633/p200209012602bo5.jpg
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3406/p2002090127iq6.jpg

Last edited:
Try 10.5 X 333

That will get ya 3.5ghz and keep your ram at 666

Only problem you may have is your Vcore.

EDIT: I misread your question. Your problem is most likely your mobo. If you can't raise your vcore, then you most likely will not get over 3.0 Stable. I had a MSI 49 dollar board and It had only FSB AND Multiplier settings, no vcore. After trying all kinds of combinations out, I gave up and took board back for a 100 dollar board from Asus. I have my 5200 running easily at 3.5 Ghz on Stock cooling and could push it a little more if I would have gotten PC6400 instead of 5400

The money you spent on the ram, you shoulda put towards the MOBO.

Ah so it was the mobo that was the problem... That's good at least.

Is there any cheaper boards though i could get in the UK though? Can't buy stuff from newegg cos I'm from the UK

Thanks though!

I have the same CPU/MB combo, and im running at 3.3ghz fine. (264 *12.5)

i had to change the ram speed to 800 rather then auto , dont know why.

temps 40C idle, and 55 at full load.

EDIT: I tried 3.5, but applications would randomly exit, i most likely could of stablized it of i uped the Vcore, but i didnt feel confortable uping the v core as this is my first OC .

What RAM do you have? You managed to OC with RAM speed set to 800? Weird. I'll try the same.

EDIT: Can't boot up with RAM set to 800mhz.

Last edited:
I guess I'm just not as lucky as you :/ I tried what you did and it didnt work

sAME SET UP

HI IVE GOT EXACT SAME MOBO AND SAME MEM BIZARRELY. i TO HAVE HAD TROBLE OC CLOCKING THAT LITTLE ****. IVE GO E6600 AND CAN ONLY GET 2.8GZ STABLE. iVE DONE SOME DIGGING AND THE PROB IS WITH THE WAY THE BOARD HANDLES THE MEM. WHEN YOU UP FSB ON THIS IT AUTO UPS YOUR RAM RATIO TOO.SO IVE GOT 800MHZ RAM AND THE BEST I CAN GET TO 1:1 IS 4:5 , SO 320 FSB = 800 HZ ANY THING ABOVE THAT AND MY SYSTEM HANGS. THAT IS WITH SETTING RAM AT 667 ON MOBO. THE ONLY WAY TO RUN 800 IS WITH STOCK FSB COS IT HAS A STUPID RATIO LIKE 2:3 . 266 X 1.5 = 800 HZ. SO TWO WAYS OUT OF THIS OC YOUR RAM BUT OUR CORSAIRS ARE **** FOR THAT. OR SIMPLY BUY 1066 HZ RAM. I HAVNT PURCHASED YET COZ I AINT GOT MONEY FOR IT BUT I SHOULD GET 355 FSB AT 2:3 RATIO WILL GIVE ME 1066 RAM. A 3.2 OC FOR ME. AS FOR YOU 355 FSB AT 12.5 MODIFIER SHOULD PUSH YOU WAY PAST THE 4GHZ MARK!

Problem is, I can't get over around 250 FSB. That's why I'm wondering if it's the CPU or the mobo because I've heard people having E5200s with FSB walls of at least like 300...

strange that you 2 are havint problems, as i mentioned earlier i have the same motherboads + CPU as the OP . and mine is OCing fine.

So maybe it's our processor... Well I will get a new mobo and see. If it still only manages to OC to like 3.1ghz then I'll try buying a new E5200, perhaps when the new R0 or whatever stepping it is comes out.

next

hi , u should get that 250 easy . cos mine is a sod for hanging so i tried lowing the multiplyer low (6) in my case then bumping up fsb from 266 and it will go right up to 320 before problems start. put the vdimm on 2.0 and add that 50mv thing on vcore. see how that goes. by the way if you havnt allready knock that c1e thing off too.

Just tried, didn't work :/ Couldn't get to 250 with the things you told me to do =(

I have the same cpu/mb

here are the settings that im running on now giving me 3.4ghz

Jumper free configurations page.
AI overclocking [Manual]
CPU Frequency [272]
DRAM Frequency [800mhz] (depending on your ram you may need this set to 667)
Vcore OverVoltage [+50mv] (gives me a vcore of 1.23)

this is my first ever overclock, so im guesing that i was probably lucky.

edit: are you still using the stock cooling? im using the OCZ Vanquisher CPU Cooler and artic silver 5, which gives me load temperatures of 50C

Last edited:
multipier

hi, i have to use a higher fsb coz my multipier is only 9. if i had 270 fsb it would be virtually stock speed for me. the higher fsb starts off the mem ratio issues for me. as for uti if you both have same cpu i cant see why he cant get the same as you.

Back