• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob - E5200 + PK5PL-AM = Rubbish?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
jason4207, this mobo doesn't allow us to manually change the ram divider :/

and mark, I am using an Akasa 965 cooler but with the same stock cooler I can only OC as far just that I have cooler temps with an Akasa 965 so I don't think cooling is that much of a factor atm here.

I still can't decide whether it's the mobo that's holding me back then or a bad chip... Cos I very much doubt it's any other thing.

hi, i have to use a higher fsb coz my multipier is only 9. if i had 270 fsb it would be virtually stock speed for me. the higher fsb starts off the mem ratio issues for me. as for uti if you both have same cpu i cant see why he cant get the same as you.

i was just doing a few more tests, if i put my FSB above 280, it would fail the post. so i tried changing the dram freq down to 667 and the bord posts fine. even with a fsb of 290.

dont know if that info is any help to you, but im just throwing it out there hoping someone with more experience will be able to explain it.

Well if your board can handle an E5200 with FSB of 290 then I might sell my current E5200 and get an E5300. Hopefully at most I'll only have to spend around £15. Gonna get a better mobo first though, keeping my eye out on eBay xD

Or maybe I'll just get an E5300 right now already seeing as finding a good board for a cheap price isn't THAT easy and then put up my E5200 for sale before the R0 stepping for it comes out.

its ashame with this MB, it would be a good budget oc if it had options to properly change the ram divider

hi , all i finally bought 1066 ram.messed around and if you set 1066 you get 1:2 ratio! stock fsb. 800 and you get 2:3, theoretical 355 fsb as i said earlier. So i lowered multiplier to 6 and started raising fsb in 5mhz increments untill it does not post. I got it to 342 fsb. then it wont post ( a bit under my theoretical). I upped the vcore to extra 100mv and 150mv still no post. So i have at the minute 3.1 ghz stable. Anyone got anybright ideas for the next step. northbridge volts for instance?

hi , all i finally bought 1066 ram.messed around and if you set 1066 you get 1:2 ratio! stock fsb. 800 and you get 2:3, theoretical 355 fsb as i said earlier. So i lowered multiplier to 6 and started raising fsb in 5mhz increments untill it does not post. I got it to 342 fsb. then it wont post ( a bit under my theoretical). I upped the vcore to extra 100mv and 150mv still no post. So i have at the minute 3.1 ghz stable. Anyone got anybright ideas for the next step. northbridge volts for instance?

upping my ram voltage to 1.9v made me able to get my fsb up to 300mhz, so that may be able to help you increase your fsb.

what CPU do you have again?

I bought a E5300. Amazingly enough, it's stuck on around the same FSB as my E5200. Now I can guess it's the motherboard's problem. I'm getting a P35 board in a few days. Wish me some luck lol.

I bought a E5300. Amazingly enough, it's stuck on around the same FSB as my E5200. Now I can guess it's the motherboard's problem. I'm getting a P35 board in a few days. Wish me some luck lol.

are you sute its not the ram holding you back.

whats the difference between the E5300 and E5200, best i can tell, the E5200 just has a slightly higher multiplier. or did i miss somthing there?

are you sute its not the ram holding you back.

whats the difference between the E5300 and E5200, best i can tell, the E5200 just has a slightly higher multiplier. or did i miss somthing there?

Yup I'm pretty sure it's not the RAM. Can't really say 100% but atm I am running E5300 with FSB of 246 (3.2ghz) and that means my RAM Is running at 820mhz as the ratio is auto set to 3:5 (can't manually set it). And with only a 20mhz OC I doubt it can't handle it. I've ran it stabily before when I did a small OC to around 2.8ghz with my RAM set to 800mhz before realising I was meant to set it to 667 so yeah... Pretty sure it ain't the RAM.

With the E5300, you have 0.5 higher multiplier. It also has R0 stepping (Well E5200 will have R0 stepping in April or something) which apparently OCs slightly better.

Haven't had much of an increase atm. But I'm gonna test it out once I get a P35 motherboard.

My E5200 has a VID of 1.2V and E5300 has a VID of 1.265V though. From what I've also heard, E5X00 series "like" higher multipliers more so having the extra 0.5 multiplier should be beneficial hopefully. I would have gotten E5400 but the price gap is too large. E5200 = £58, E5300 = £62 and then E5400 = £73. Lol, £4 extra, I'd pay but £11, no thanks.

Well as I say, waiting for my P35 mobo now! xD

Yup I'm pretty sure it's not the RAM. Can't really say 100% but atm I am running E5300 with FSB of 246 (3.2ghz) and that means my RAM Is running at 820mhz as the ratio is auto set to 3:5 (can't manually set it). And with only a 20mhz OC I doubt it can't handle it. I've ran it stabily before when I did a small OC to around 2.8ghz with my RAM set to 800mhz before realising I was meant to set it to 667 so yeah... Pretty sure it ain't the RAM.

With the E5300, you have 0.5 higher multiplier. It also has R0 stepping (Well E5200 will have R0 stepping in April or something) which apparently OCs slightly better.

Haven't had much of an increase atm. But I'm gonna test it out once I get a P35 motherboard.

My E5200 has a VID of 1.2V and E5300 has a VID of 1.265V though. From what I've also heard, E5X00 series "like" higher multipliers more so having the extra 0.5 multiplier should be beneficial hopefully. I would have gotten E5400 but the price gap is too large. E5200 = £58, E5300 = £62 and then E5400 = £73. Lol, £4 extra, I'd pay but £11, no thanks.

Well as I say, waiting for my P35 mobo now! xD

Im thinking i should of got an E5300 insted, i could of probably hit 4ghz with that one.

ok, im really new to Ocing, and i never relized how much fun it can be :D

i just finished my build, and i already want to start a new one, but i cannot justify spending more money.

Its really addictive

maybe in a few months i will get some older hardware and see if i can give that ago, so that way i dont end up spending to much money.

Im thinking i should of got an E5300 insted, i could of probably hit 4ghz with that one.

ok, im really new to Ocing, and i never relized how much fun it can be :D

i just finished my build, and i already want to start a new one, but i cannot justify spending more money.

Its really addictive

maybe in a few months i will get some older hardware and see if i can give that ago, so that way i dont end up spending to much money.

Haha, I'm just envious of your 3.8ghz with a G31 board X_X

Well got my P35 board and yup, seems it was the P5KPL-AM that was the bottleneck. I can reach FSB of up to 300 ish on P35. Not stable though but at least I know I can reach it xD Didn't try go for higher though.

Well got my P35 board and yup, seems it was the P5KPL-AM that was the bottleneck. I can reach FSB of up to 300 ish on P35. Not stable though but at least I know I can reach it xD Didn't try go for higher though.

ok, tell us how you get on with that cpu.

just did a mem test, and it turns out my ram is running at 1000mhz.

by default my cpu is ment to be at 200 fsb, which is 800 same rating as my ram.

in the bios i set my ram to 677mhz, rather then 800, if i run my cpu at 200mhz, it runs the ram at 677, but if i set the fsb to 300 then it ups the ram to 1000mhz aswell.

if i could really set the ram speed, rather then badly descriptive ratio settings, then i could hit 4ghz, this is rather anoying :mad:

Back