• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob introduction. Old guy, revamped hobby

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

T56impala

Registered
Hello. Thought I’d take a moment to say hi. I built my first computer when the Pentium 90 first came out. My second was a lanparty based Sempron powered one I just recently rediscovered. Then I went Apple. No I’m back as a hobbyist. My current build is:

ASRock x399 Taichi
AMD 2950x threadripper
64 g Corsair vengeance pro 3200
Powercolor Vega 64
Coolermaster AIO
2 1tb m.2 drives
1 1tb ssd
1 4tb 7200rpm hdd
Lian Li o11 case

My plan is to do two custom loops. A 360 for the cpu and dual 120s for the gpu. Yes for ascetics. I’m new to this so be gentle!

I’m having an issue deciding on a res and pump. I’ve seen the Bykski distribution block/res for this case but haven’t found a reliable seller and I know nothing about how a pump connects to it. I’m not sold on it either. Looking for suggestions. Oh, it will be a hard line build. No bends but lots of fittings. Once it’s all done and running, it will be disassembled and the case will be painted. I’m in prototype mode right now.

I don't have any personal experience with Bykski but have read good things about them. All of my experience is with EKWB, XSPC and Swifttech.

I did find Bykski on Amazon.com. Here's another link that might be helpful for you. It's just a list of the many sites we use when searching for PC parts.

Should be interesting!

Not sure how you're going to work out the no bends and have those connectors floating around everywhere (I have trouble thinking outside the box though, lol).

radikult makes some really nice reservoirs for this case, if you're comfortable spending a little bit more. You can find him on eBay, if he doesn't have what you're looking for in stock, you can message him. I know he's done distribution panels for the side 360mm mount in the past, as well as both single and dual loop distribution panels for the front panel. You can search some of his work on youtube and instagram as well. For you I would recommend the Dynamic DUO res.

I'm using one of his regular 360mm mount reservoirs with the D5 mount, with the holes reversed so the drain, fill, and pump are in the back chamber while the inlet and outlet feed into the main chamber of the case. I really like it! He didn't have the specialized stuff when I ordered so I'm a bit jealous, but this one certainly fits my needs.

In terms of actual case setup for a dual loop, I can't comment. I'm using the case with a single loop, single top 360mm rad, and bottom intake top exhaust with the side intake blocked by the res. GPU is horizontal. There is definitely some isolation of the airflow between top and bottom, with air leaving the IO shield blanks below the GPU and some entering the rear panel as well. I only notice about 1c difference in my loop temp at full load between having the intake fans at 800rpm or full power. With the Dynamic DUO I think you use side intake and top exhaust.

Either way, I would suggest just giving 360mm to the Vega64. It won't hurt and there is plenty of room for it. Overclocked this card can draw nearly 400W with the liquid cooling BIOS. Sure I'm running a single loop with a single 360mm rad, but if not technically under-radded, I'm right near the limit. Also my CPU is only 120W-130W TDP even overclocked, and most games are not even fully loading it and the Vega is still putting my loop temps up to an estimated 41C (approximated by measuring exhaust air, with an offset based on an IR thermometer of the fin temp - in other words totally inaccurate). That's like a deltaT of 18C.

So I bought one from radikult. Should be here Monday. Then I get to figure out how I’m going to run the loop. I have an idea in my head. Not sure how well it will translate.

I’m wanting it to look very automotive. I’m a big Aston Martin fan. I’m going to paint the case with AM Volcano red paint and etch the winged logo into the side glass.

I was going to start another thread, but I'll try sticking it here.

My plan for this was to go with hard tubing. Being its my first build, and its going to have some pretty good curves, should I forget about doing hard lines? Are they really that difficult? Anyone willing to share?

Which res did you purchase? If you chose the distribution panel it should help eliminate the bends. If not then maybe flexible tubing would be better for a first build. I'm really happy with my loop, I would not say that I regretted choosing flexible at all. That said, after putting it all together (my first build), I feel like I could have done hard tubing for my first build. You can also use fittings to substitute for bending if you start having trouble. Here is an example of that style: https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1oVns...ipe-Transparent-Acrylic-Tube-For-Computer.jpg

Back