• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

noob question: Is a new GTX3000 series card compatible with my mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

captainthrall

I'm currently using: MSI Z170A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM EDITION LGA1151

I'd like to pick up a GTX3070 when they come out in a month. I'm assuming my mobo from 2015 should be compatible. Can anyone confirm?

I saw that the new GPUs have a funky 12-pin power connector. I'd guess that cable would come with the card since it's a new thing. Am I totally off on this?

Yes it will be compatible with your motherboard. The only thing your board doesn’t have is pcie 4.0 which could mean a tiny performance loss but other than that you are good to go.

I think it is only the 3080/3090 that will have the 12 pin connector. However I could be wrong about that. Even so they have said that the cards with a 12 pin connector will ship with an adapter so that will be ok as well.

The 12 pin discussion is confusing right now, it's a wait and see. But like stated if it needs it it will have to come in the box and combine 2 8pin cords into one

I'm currently using: MSI Z170A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM EDITION LGA1151

I'd like to pick up a GTX3070 when they come out in a month.

Not GTX, RTX 3070.

Also, RTX 3080 and RTX 3090.

The GTX 3070, 3080 and 3090 Founder's Editions from nVidia all use standard 8- PCIe power connectors according to the specs at the nVidia website. One for the 3070, and two for the 3080 and 3090.

Here are the physical specs for the 3090:

Founders Edition Card Dimensions:
Length 12.3" (313 mm)
Width 5.4" (138 mm)
Height 3-Slot

Founders Edition Thermal Power Specs:
Maximum GPU Temperature (in C) 93
Graphics Card Power (W) 350
Recommended System Power (W) (2) 750
Supplementary Power Connectors 2x PCIe 8-pin

There's a video up by DigitalFoundry which shows the adapter cable. It is ugly. Very short, so you can't hide the PSU cables away from it.

AIB offerings have also been pictured and they're a more traditional 3 fan cooler design, with traditional PCIe connectors. So that's another option to consider.

The 12 pin discussion is confusing right now, it's a wait and see. But like stated if it needs it it will have to come in the box and combine 2 8pin cords into one
I thought it would be 2 6 pins...

EDIT: No, your right 2 8 pins and the resulting 12 pin isn't much bigger in size than the 8 pin.

Back