• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob right here! I need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So I'm looking at this build. I'm thinking that this will be a good starting point and I can upgrade over time. I would change out the case though. http://austinnotduncan.com/builds/photon/

- - - Updated - - -

Btw, thanks caddi caddi. The link u gave me really helped

You can do better than that for $500. I don't honestly like Austin Evan's builds. An expensive WD Black drive in a $500 build? (for example)... that makes no sense. And there are cheaper cases to be had.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/mistersprinkles/saved/mJG2FT

Here is a build for $550 Including Windows ($460 without Windows)
Very easy to overclock (after a bios update. You'll need a cheap usb memory stick) and very good performance for the money. No great parts but all parts are "good enough". This build I like better than Austin's build.

If you are comfortable spending just over $500, and you already have a copy of Windows available (win 7 or later, 64 bit), I suggest you get the $460 worth of parts and add a 120-128GB SSD such as a Crucial MX100 or other budget SSD. You will massively increase the smoothness of the operating system, system boot time, virtual memory performance, etc. SSDs are fantastic. Also, if you will not need an optical drive (all the games are available as digital copies for download these days, as well as Microsoft Office, etc. You can also buy Windows digitally and install it off a USB drive) you can take that $20 and put it towards the SSD, reducing your final cost. If you want to spend the extra $20, you can go with the case Austin Evans suggested, assuming you really like it. Personally I prefer Corsair's 200R in the "$50" category. However, I would advise you to stick in the $30ish category with a $500 budget.

If you have never built a computer before, get yourself a magnetized phillips head screwdriver and an anti static wrist strap (Newegg) or some nitrile rubber gloves. Watch some of the "how to build a PC" videos on Youtube. The most detailed are by Carey Holzman and are as long as 3 hours covering absolutely everything from start to finish. Also, minimize any static in the area where you are working. A wood table is best, as is a wood floor or a ceramic tile floor. Don't wear a wool sweater. Don't build on carpet. Just things like that. Also if you see a video telling you to ground yourself to a plugged in power supply and you are not on 220V power, don't do it as for reasons beyond my comprehension it won't work properly. Ground to the case.

Last edited:
I will be doing some heavy gaming with this rig, live streaming and some editing videos. I would say my budget would be under $1,000....

. I would like to keep the price at $850 if I can and then just upgrade overtime...

Nope just squeaks in under his max budget and there is some room for him to cut back here or there on some things if he already has something on the list. This is pretty much a complete system without monitor keyboard and mouse.

Bassnut, you posted the wrong link

Will fix it when I get homev....... crapers.

Basically it was FX 6300, Gigabyte 990fxa UD3, sapphire R9 280, EVGA 750 watt, Seagate 1TB drive, GSKILL Ares 1866 8 gig, Corsair H105, tucked inside a Coolermaster HAC XB Evo case with windows 7 64 bit OEM. Came in around $820 plus shipping and taxes.

Last edited:
Will fix it when I get homev....... crapers.

Basically it was FX 6300, Gigabyte 990fxa UD3, sapphire R9 280, EVGA 750 watt, Seagate 1TB drive, GSKILL Ares 1866 8 gig, Corsair H105, tucked inside a Coolermaster HAC XB Evo case with windows 7 64 bit OEM. Came in around $820 plus shipping and taxes.

Makes no sense to me to do that.. You can ditch the FX cpu and mobo and the expensive cooler and buy an i5 4570 and a cheapo H81 board. Better gaming performance, and better performance all round 99.9% of the time. JM2C.

Yes, 4690k and asrock pro4 z97, stock cooler and 450W quality psu.

Should be around $370 when the fx+ud3+h105+750w psu end up at roughly... $370

Grab an FX-6300, GA-970A-UD3P, SD1484, and a Seasonic G-550.
That's $280. You can barely buy the 4570 and motherboard for that much.

OP says he wants something that last a couple of years.

I don't think a 6300 is the way to go.

And he has a $800/$900 budget.

He could build a solid Z97 pc with that money.

100 for a ssd, $80 for a hdd, 200 for a decent gpu, $80 for ram and $50 forna case.

Add the $370 from the above post and it makes a bit less than $900.

OP did not reply as if he need a monitor/kb/mouse/os though...

- - - Updated - - -

OP says he wants something that last a couple of years.

I don't think a 6300 is the way to go.

And he has a $800/$900 budget.

He could build a solid Z97 pc with that money.

100 for a ssd, $80 for a hdd, 200 for a decent gpu, $80 for ram and $50 forna case.

Add the $370 from the above post and it makes a bit less than $900.

OP did not reply as if he need a monitor/kb/mouse/os though...

OP either way you go .... AMD or Intel you have a couple options listed ....... I'll leave the AMD / Intel rhetoric to others.

One thing with the parts I put up should you decide you need or want a bit more horse power down the road you could just drop in a FX 8350 and be able to OC it to some decent clocks ...... or should you decide your budget is a bit strained at what I listed you could cut some stuff back a bit though this could possibly end any real thought of a later upgrade to a FX 8350, depending on your cuts.

Take your time and think over your options.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=i5+v...2Fintel-4670k-amd-8350-cores-gen.html;601;592

Here's a google image search with some graphs showing the 8350 vs i5/i7. In some things they trade blows, in some they're about even. Once in a while the 8350 wins by a bit. Often it loses by a lot. Should help you make an objective comparison. If you do go AMD I would go at least 8350, personally. That's just me.

Grab an FX-6300, GA-970A-UD3P, SD1484, and a Seasonic G-550.
That's $280. You can barely buy the 4570 and motherboard for that much.

i5 4460 $187
ASRock H81 Pro BTC $41
________
=$228

FX 6300 $99
GA970AUD3P $75
________
=$174

Difference
=$54

That's one night at a classy bar or one lunch with friends. Worth it (IMO) :)

Last edited:
I bar,y understood what you guys said....I'm a real noob! I need like step by step and very non pc builder language

I bar,y understood what you guys said....I'm a real noob! I need like step by step and very non pc builder language

I don't understand how to make it any more simple. Can you explain what ways we can simplify this for you? What don't you understand? Help us help you. :p

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/mistersprinkles/saved/mJG2FT
^This parts list would be very good.

To make it even better, leaving you open to unlocked 4 cores and multiple graphics cards, take the above build and swap the motherboard for an ASRock Z97 Anniversary. That'll be an extra $30 or so. I highly recommend that you do it. So altogether, $600. That's what I suggest you spend. Build the link above, and if you want some future proofing, get the ASRock Z97 Anniversary motherboard.

If there's anything you don't understand just ask us and we'll explain it to you.

I'll try to explain what we're all saying here.

Basically there are a few basic components to a PC

CPU
Motherboard
RAM
GPU
Power Supply
Case
Drives

The CPU is the mathematical "brain" of your computer. It does most of the "thinking". The motherboard is the largest part, and is where all the other parts interconnect. The RAM is the short and medium term memory of the computer. When the computer is about to use something or needs it handy, it stores it in RAM. Ram is different from Storage in that it erases when you turn off or reset the computer. The GPU is the graphical brain of your computer. It thinks about things you see on screen and is responsible for displaying images on screen. The power supply is responsible for taking 115V or 220V power from the wall and turning it into well regulated voltages like 3,5, and 12V, that the various parts of your computer require. Its important to have a power supply with enough watts and amps for the computer you are building. The case is the housing for all your parts. Things to consider in a case are looks, quietness, cable management options and air flow. Drives, like hard drives, optical (CD/DVD/Bluray), and SSD (solid state drives) are storage. Permanent storage that is. When you write something to an SSD, hard drive, or optical disc (like a DVD) it is there permanently. Optical drives haven't really gotten much faster over the years and can now be found for $20. They are going extinct since everybody buys software and games online now, but for a beginner it is wise to have one for windows install etc. SSD (solid state drives) are like hard drives in that they both store large amounts of information, but the hard drive is not as fast as the SSD. This is reflected in prices. For $100 you can have a 2 or 3TB hard drive, but only a 256GB SSD. With your budget, you can't really afford an SSD now but if you want to go along and be upgrading this computer, the upgrades I would do, in the following order, are:

SSD $70-100
CPU (to an i5 like the 4690K) $240
GPU (to whatever is the best GPU in your price range at the time. $240-260 is the sweet spot usually with graphics cards where you get the most performance for your $. For example, currently that GPU is the AMD R9 290. Can be found for $229 in the USA)

Also if you will be upgrading in future (better GPU particularly) I suggest a better power supply. For the same price as the one I listed you can get a 500W Corsair CX500 which will be adequate for the i5 CPU and any GPU.

Here is the build with those modifications to make things easy for you, it has the Z97 motherboard, and the 500W power supply

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/mistersprinkles/saved/NcsMnQ

Don't forget to post in the Intel CPU section after you get the computer up and running to ask about overclocking your Pentium CPU. You can get a ton of extra performance out of it and it is very easy to do.

Last edited:
TheOCNoob, games are already throwing errors when using a dual core CPU for gaming.
They'll pop up with "quad core minimum", one that comes to mind right away is CoD: Advanced Warfare. IIRC it won't let you start the game without 4 cores.

OP, steer clear of anything that is less than 4 cores for gaming.

TheOCNoob, games are already throwing errors when using a dual core CPU for gaming.
They'll pop up with "quad core minimum", one that comes to mind right away is CoD: Advanced Warfare. IIRC it won't let you start the game without 4 cores.

OP, steer clear of anything that is less than 4 cores for gaming.

Das gonna hurt his budget. Throw a build together for him with a 4460, see what you can do. Hopefully he'll be ok with the price hike.

I wanna go with Intel, I don't like AMD.... Maybe the i5. for my graphics card, I was thinking about going with a Nvidia g-force or something like that. I want a really good motherboard, liquid cooling and a nice SSD

I wanna go with Intel, I don't like AMD.... Maybe the i5. for my graphics card, I was thinking about going with a Nvidia g-force or something like that. I want a really good motherboard, liquid cooling and a nice SSD

You don't need to go Geforce. In fact, the AMD Radeon cards are a better deal right now in terms of price/performance. Yes, Intel is better for gaming so lets stick with Intel.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/mistersprinkles/saved/7Dvscf

^ This is the computer I suggest you build. You will have fantastic performance and really enjoy it. Best bang for your buck in my opinion. Yes it's $300 more than you want to spend, but it will about double the performance of what you could buy for $500. Not a bad investment.
$800

I had originally written this post with 5 or 6 different builds in it and edited it many times, however, in the end I settled on the single build above. You absolutely will not beat the price to performance ratio of it in my opinion. Don't be concerned by the fact that you aren't getting a Geforce card. For the price of the R9 290 in this build you'd get a GTX 760, a MUCH slower card with less RAM, and you'd have vastly inferior performance. It's not worth it being a "fan" of one brand or another, you buy what's best for your money. That's my opinion.
What do you think?

When you have enough saved up down the road you can add an SSD to the system at a later date to really make it fly.

Last edited:
Back