• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob right here! I need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Agreed, but it looks like the OP allowed us to go "over $1K" and that was done, no? I haven't read this entirely too long 121 post thread though so I may be off in this case.

Yes, OP did loosen the purse strings more recently but the "ignore budget" contingent was quite active long before that in this thread. Too often these kind of threads turn into geeks arguing with one another about the capabilities of components rather than keeping the big picture in sight and trying to help the OP. This has got to be overwhelming to the uninitiated just looking for some common sense advice.

No doubt (but his goal couldn't be met with the budget so this may be a bad example). I am open, via PM, for suggestions on how to curb such behavior... :)

No doubt (but his goal couldn't be met with the budget so this may be a bad example). I am open, via PM, for suggestions on how to curb such behavior... :)

I'll give that some thought. I have some ideas but they aren't very refined yet.

I think this is a case of putting something under a microscope that doesn't need to be put under a microscope. We have a younger member here who is indecisive and doesn't have a budget set in stone. I think that we are providing the kind of help that will facilitate the OP gaining the knowledge necessary to be able to pull this off with the right parts at a price that doesn't break the bank. I don't think there's anything wrong with the direction this thread is heading in. Is it too long? Sure. But that doesn't mean it isn't helping the OP. We can't expect every exchange on the forum to be "textbook". :)

Go mechanical, grab a G710+ for the keyboard.
G700s for the mouse.

Not sure why you'd get a Z97-A over a Z97 Extreme4.
The Extreme4 is a better board. For cheaper.

The G.SKILL Ares I've added saves you almost $20, for the same GB/Speed/Timings.

I've changed the GPU to the factory OC'd model with the better cooler.
For the same money.

The Dell monitor is equal, probably better, to the Asus that was picked. But costs $50 less.
Because you're not paying for the Asus name.

You really don't need a $200 pair of speakers.
If you're looking at that price range, you should be looking at audiophile equipment and not Corsair.
The Logitech's I've added are $90 cheaper and more than adequate.

With all the money saved, I've moved up to a 250GB 840 EVO instead of the 120GB SSD.
120GB is just too small these days.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WFHFHx
Total price, up $60.
Added: double the SSD space, faster GPU, mechanical keyboard, awesome mouse

I'm sorry, but spending more money just to get a Corsair brand name (when G.SKILL makes better RAM anyway) is just silly.

Yes, you are an Asus fan, but remember this from last time we talked about the Extreme4 and the Z97-A?
atminside said:
Also, I'm not sure how the Extreme4 is only slightly better than the Z97-A.
It's slightly cheaper, it has more PCIe slots, it has more SATA ports, more USB3 ports, and a more robust power section.

In my book that's a landslide toward the Extreme4.

I'm sorry, but spending more money just to get a Corsair brand name (when G.SKILL makes better RAM anyway) is just silly.

Yes, you are an Asus fan, but remember this from last time we talked about the Extreme4 and the Z97-A?

I do remember yes, that was after I had spec'd out this system for her.

Back