• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob WC setup.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i know that the stock top pump is still a great pump so any extra performance from the top is icing on the cake. i'm not sure but i think they use the same design for the bay res as the single pump top's. either way you will get great performance from it.

and since your changing the top of the pump you will be able to use any barbs that work with G1/4 thread. so 3/8" or 1/2" will work just fine.

you can still use the ek res as well as the XSPC bay res, but there is no point other then looks. i would only get the one though.

The stock DDC 3.2 is 3/8 barbs. Any aftermarket top will allow the use of G1/4 threads 1/2 ID hose, 1/2 OD barbs or G1/4 thread compression fittings. The XSPC single top, or the XSPC restop is the best for over a year for these pumps. The non-restop XSPC top for the DDC3.2 is still a TOP aftermarket addition.

The difference between the DUAL pump top is only one thing and it's a big difference. You still will have to add a res to each loop. I don't think XSPC has released a DUAL Restop for the DDC3.2

If XSPC releases a dual DDC3.2 Restop designed for one res, one pump setup, meaning each loop is seperate, I'm on it.

Thanks for the help everyone. Just one last question:

I'm still unclear on fan choice. The amount of information is overwhelming and everyone seems to have their own opinion. So;

What is the best fan for the xspc rx 360 rad, in both low and high rpm? I prefer ball bearing because I understand it lasts longer. I was thinking the kaze ultra 3000 but I read they click on low voltage.

If you run the rad in a vertical, then you don't need bearings. For the cost the Yate Loon mediums are enough. You want the best medium fans right now at $8 each more? gentle typhoons at 1450 rpm or the 1850 RPM. These are bearing fans, best used for horizontal rad setups, the fans will last much longer. Think years vs year or so for sleeved bearings in a horizontal setup.

The kaze Ultra 3000 is WAY more than you need for the rad. Even at the lowest RPM speed they will be louder than the fans I mentioned at highest RPM. You don't need fans like that. Skinnees and martins charts show the gains drop off significantly with fans like that. All you gain is noise and a big cost in fans.

You really want those fans? Then look at the Black Ice Xtreme series of rads, which bar none give the best Delta T performance with those ear splitting fans you are thinking of buying.

Last edited:
If you run the rad in a vertical, then you don't need bearings. For the cost the Yate Loon mediums are enough. You want the best medium fans right now at $8 each more? gentle typhoons at 1450 rpm or the 1850 RPM. These are bearing fans, best used for horizontal rad setups, the fans will last much longer. Think years vs year or so for sleeved bearings in a horizontal setup.

The kaze Ultra 3000 is WAY more than you need for the rad. Even at the lowest RPM speed they will be louder than the fans I mentioned at highest RPM. You don't need fans like that. Skinnees and martins charts show the gains drop off significantly with fans like that. All you gain is noise and a big cost in fans.

You really want those fans? Then look at the Black Ice Xtreme series of rads, which bar none give the best Delta T performance with those ear splitting fans you are thinking of buying.

Well - Yate do actually have roller bearing fans too Conumdrum - I see that you assume not :)

BIE - suxx- and you know it...

Last edited:
Hmm, never seen the Yates with roller bearings. haven't been watercooling as long as you and dealt with all sorts of fans. I'm referring to the ones we get from Petras and Jabtech.

The BIX is a great rad, but needs loud fans. Using suxx is such a strong word and doesn't say why it's bad or good. I'd rather let each rad live on it's merits and downfalls and explain it instead of one little word.

Hmm, never seen the Yates with roller bearings. haven't been watercooling as long as you and dealt with all sorts of fans. I'm referring to the ones we get from Petras and Jabtech.

The BIX is a great rad, but needs loud fans. Using suxx is such a strong word and doesn't say why it's bad or good. I'd rather let each rad live on it's merits and downfalls and explain it instead of one little word.

You get Yates in all kind of flavors my friend - check their site :) But yes - with your "assuming" in mind you are 100% regarding how to run them (sleeve bearings that is)

Black Ice - I've been through every rad they make - without the new 140 mm's - and they are not worth the money imo
They are cheap third world products - and thats not a lie - they are produced in the philliphines.

Not much of a match for western producers imo...

Thanks for the tremendous amount of help and input everyone. I've ordered all my water cooling parts and just have to wait for them to come in. In the meanwhile, I'll be scouring for some guide installation guides/tips and tricks . . .

Now I just have to decide what ssd I want, Intel or OCZ.

You might of seen this already, it's in the link I posted for you earlier.
What to do once it's all in the door kinda thing.
Take it slow and feel free to ask.

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=312743

And I wanted to go SSD sooo bad, but missed the sale on Newegg. Since I meed the sale, I'll wait a while longer, maybe in 6 months. I still think they aren't ready for prime time yet, but close. Been a lot of problems in 2009. Intel and their competitors are coming out with better stuff using better chips soon. So I decided on a velociraptor and a good 500G to upgrade as a xmas present. Just have to do it now.

Black Ice - I've been through every rad they make - without the new 140 mm's - and they are not worth the money imo
They are cheap third world products - and thats not a lie - they are produced in the philliphines.

outside of the feser monsta the black ice GTX is the best (fan speed aside). i can't comment on their quality, but there isn't many issues that i've seen.

outside of the feser monsta the black ice GTX is the best (fan speed aside). i can't comment on their quality, but there isn't many issues that i've seen.

I vote different, apart from the better fesers, thermochill and magicool is better too, I never did them with ear splitting fans - but thats useless anyway.

And the biggest surprise of everything is that the standard heatercores still keep up ( I got 7 of them - singles AND a dual)

Macicool is a chock in the scene - nobody expected their performance

Otherwise - I haven't tested more - but I wouldn't be chocked if other radiator series were better than black ice
I don't build wc systems for people - but they come here to build them themselves - under my supervision ( I sell Bitspower, waterlines aso - killcoils and pt_nuke are coming) So I have seen a lot of BIE's - and a lot of people upgrading from their BIE's - and got better cooling and a more silent system since the pump doesn't have to work that hard anymore.

just my 10 cents :shrug:

read @ http://eiskaltmacher.de/portal/inde...=view&id=1131&Itemid=53&limit=1&limitstart=11 bix does pretty good in the "not so important" tests ....

Last edited:
Macicool is a chock in the scene - nobody expected their performance

Which ??? company?

"chock" = ???

( I sell Bitspower, waterlines aso - killcoils and pt_nuke are coming)

Do you have a website? Which company?

So I have seen a lot of BIE's

BIE = ???

- and a lot of people upgrading from their BIE's - and got better cooling and a more silent system since the pump doesn't have to work that hard anymore.

just my 10 cents :shrug:

read @ http://eiskaltmacher.de/portal/inde...=view&id=1131&Itemid=53&limit=1&limitstart=11 bix does pretty good in the "not so important" tests ....

Since Ich Nein Sprecht sie Deutsch, I tried to get Google to translate this article for me. http://translate.google.com/transla...imit=1&limitstart=11&sl=de&tl=en&hl=&ie=UTF-8

Result is sort of Ok, except that the chart headings aren't translated. Any chance you have a better, human-translated version of this article?

Any idea why manufacturers like Swiftech aren't included?

Thanks (Danke :cool: )

x509

but 'ear splitting fans' isn't your thing, nor is gear/worm clamps. thats all fine but if noise is not a concern for some people then it tops the performance charts.

as for heater cores they need the high speed fans to get the best performance which is why they are still up there as you said.

my 15 cents, i win :) lol.

EDIT:

BIE = ???

black ice xtreme, though it should be BI GTX(model i am talking about) or BIX(another model)

but 'ear splitting fans' isn't your thing, nor is gear/worm clamps. thats all fine but if noise is not a concern for some people then it tops the performance charts.

as for heater cores they need the high speed fans to get the best performance which is why they are still up there as you said.

my 15 cents, i win :) lol.

EDIT:

black ice xtreme, though it should be BI GTX(model i am talking about) or BIX(another model)

I don't agree that some 55dbA fans makes things better on some lousy third world rads - I rather prefer 40dbA in push pull even tho it's twice as expensive on high performance rads

But it is your ears - and undoubtfully your looks if you prefer clumsy worm clamps over stylish look - in some days we are at 2010 and you still prefer clamps from 1950 or something - that does not do the job better than the modern alternatives :)

You probably love your screwdriver ... hehe

Last edited:
Any idea why manufacturers like Swiftech aren't included?

I see a lot of "tests" where Swiftech isn't represented - so what ?
Ever owned a Swiftech rad ? I don't know who produces them - but a helluva good guess is Black Ice - or some other similar third world cleptocrazy company :D

2. not sure if you want to cool the ram with water but don't, it's a waste and is restrictive to your loop.

He should - but air is more than sufficcient imo - my choices starts from #1 left

2d80zky.jpg

The two left - you will almost not hear them - the one to the right - noisy :)

But it is your ears - and undoubtfully your looks if you prefer clumsy worm clamps over stylish look - in some days we are at 2010 and you still prefer clamps from 1950 or something - that does not do the job better than the modern alternatives :)

AGAIN..... a matter of opinion.

i don't know why you can't understand that...

Yep. If someone wants to use hose clamps and barbs and hasn't been watercooling since copper was invented, give them some leeway.

I think barbs and hoseclamps are the safest and cheapest way to get into watercooling. The bling stuff will be bought in time by all of us.

Back