• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Northbridge temperature question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sh0ckw4ve

Hey, I have got a weird issue with my old A7N8X2.0 mobo. I was using few thermal compunds, but my latest Zalman STG2 gave me weirdest results ever. According to Speedfan, the temperature is almost same during load and idle, which is around 90 deg. Previous grese, tested in exacly same way gave me 97 deg during load and 80 deg while idle. I clearly remember that even older paste also had like 20 deg range. What I do know, is that passive radiator is made of aluminium. Should I be worried?

Hey, I have got a weird issue with my old A7N8X2.0 mobo. I was using few thermal compunds, but my latest Zalman STG2 gave me weirdest results ever. According to Speedfan, the temperature is almost same during load and idle, which is around 90 deg. Previous grese, tested in exacly same way gave me 97 deg during load and 80 deg while idle. I clearly remember that even older paste also had like 20 deg range. What I do know, is that passive radiator is made of aluminium. Should I be worried?

I would recommend a new northbridge heatsink because temps upwards of 90 can cause potential chipset integrity issues. It happened on my old board and I ignored it, but I regret it. If not you could find a tiny fan to bolt onto the heatsink itself :thup:

Seconding the recommendation to strap a fan to it. Sidewinder sells 40-60mm fans that should work nicely.

Also, use HWiNFO to check the temperatures. Speedfan is generally innacurate.

Back