• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Not cooling as well as expected

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

occamsblade

Registered
I rebuilt my loop. All copper this time. The rad and blocks are all EKWB. The processor is an I7, and the GPU is a geforce2080. With my old cooling system I was getting better temps. My CPU would rarely hit above 45. Now it is hitting about 58 and my GPU hitting 72 playing warframe. There is less pipe in the system, and the diameter is bigger. The other thing that has changed is my fans. The original system came with EK vardar fans. The bearings on one went, and another one was rattling some as well so I got rid of them and went with these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...42e-e8f213ef368b&pf_rd_r=ZW92TQ7G5840WTQ00GAW they are deepcool fans. I like the direct RGB, but I think they may be why my temps are not so good.

Any ideas on fans for my radiator that would work better, still be on the quiet side and not be super expensive? They don't have to be pretty or RGB, they are behind the radiator....

I have attached a pic of the old and new build. I do plan to UV this, just have not gotten there yet.

Edit: I am looking for advice regarding what types of fans (specific brands / models) are good to use on a radiator. It will be used in the pull position if that matters. Thanks in advance.

Eye candy inserted below.

Attachments

• 20191123_132206.jpg
    20191123_132206.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 275
  • 20181121_125250.jpg
    20181121_125250.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 277
Last edited:
Possibly not enough airflow through the case. Is that a mat in the bottom of the case over the venting?

The Varder fans are higher CFM and static pressure than the Deepcool's you replaced them with. Definitely a contributing factor.

what case and reservoir is that?
That build is MANY SEXY!!!!!

The case is the lian li dynamic 011. The reservoir is an EK distribution block. If I had it to build knowing what I do now about the EK pumps that fit it, I would get the bitspower version. In less than a year I have killed one pump. I am not on it a lot either.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

The Varder fans are higher CFM and static pressure than the Deepcool's you replaced them with. Definitely a contributing factor.

So, what would be a good fan to go with? The vardar were not on near enough to justify failures, and I keep my rig clean.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Possibly not enough airflow through the case. Is that a mat in the bottom of the case over the venting?

The fans are now in the pull position, venting the hot air out of the case. There are 2 fans up top blowing in fresh air. There are vents on 4 of the 6 sides of the case. The "mat" is one of those filters to reduce dust influx. It may impede air flow a little but not much.

So everything is exhaust without any intake? It's not making any sense that you have "two fans up top blowing in fresh air" but "everything is "venting hot air out of the case." You've got two rads? One on the side and one on the top? It's difficult to tell for sure in the pictures.

I would try better fans and also intake fans on the bottom with the others exhaust, or bottom and side intake top exhaust.

So everything is exhaust without any intake? It's not making any sense that you have "two fans up top blowing in fresh air" but "everything is "venting hot air out of the case." You've got two rads? One on the side and one on the top? It's difficult to tell for sure in the pictures.

I would try better fans and also intake fans on the bottom with the others exhaust, or bottom and side intake top exhaust.

There are two fans at the top blowing in fresh air. There are vents without fans on several sides of the case. The three fans on the radiator are venting the hot air out of the case through the back.

Any suggestions about what type of fans specifically would be a good choice for replacing the ones on the radiator?? Nothing about the case ventilation has changed except adding fans. I am pretty sure this is a factor of not getting good fans for the radiator but I don't know what type are good fans. There are ton out there, I thought the vardar would be good ones, but they did not last long at all compared to fans I have owned in the past.

Attachments

• 20191123_165341.jpg
    20191123_165341.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 251
  • 20191123_165401.jpg
    20191123_165401.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 251
Last edited:
Is the system with a top rad in the second pic of your first post a different system? Or was that the old alu system. The rad you are using appears to be very slim (in order to fit both rad and fans in the rear chamber of the case). It is probably thinner than the original rad that was on top of the case and not adequate to cool the components used.

I have the same case and a similar (high wattage) GPU, and I use a 60mm top rad (exhaust) and 15mm bottom rad (intake) with EK vardars. This still causes them to spin in excess of 1500rpm, partially because the air is warmed from the first rad. Unfortunately I chose to place a reservoir in the side fan / rad mount area, (the front mount ones were not available at the time). In our current configuration I would use the side as intake, drawing fresh cool air into the rad, and the top as exhaust (air warmed by the rad will still be adequate for the passively cooled components on the motherboard and memory). If you are unsatisfied with EK fans, there are some similar high pressure fans but they are expensive and not RGB from a couple brands: gentle typhoon (not sure which brand is making them now) and Noctua NF-A12. Corsair is known to make nice RGB fans as well, however they do have several models and I don't recall which ones are best for use with a Rad.

I believe the ideal setup for a high wattage GPU in a dual component loop for this case is a two rad setup with rads on the top and bottom (one can probably be 240mm) with the side as an intake. I'm not sure if the bottom would be better as an intake or exhaust in this setup. Top for sure exhaust. I'm still working it out myself and I don't have all the answers, but hopefully this will help a bit.

Is the system with a top rad in the second pic of your first post a different system? Or was that the old alu system. The rad you are using appears to be very slim (in order to fit both rad and fans in the rear chamber of the case). It is probably thinner than the original rad that was on top of the case and not adequate to cool the components used.

I have the same case and a similar (high wattage) GPU, and I use a 60mm top rad (exhaust) and 15mm bottom rad (intake) with EK vardars. This still causes them to spin in excess of 1500rpm, partially because the air is warmed from the first rad. Unfortunately I chose to place a reservoir in the side fan / rad mount area, (the front mount ones were not available at the time). In our current configuration I would use the side as intake, drawing fresh cool air into the rad, and the top as exhaust (air warmed by the rad will still be adequate for the passively cooled components on the motherboard and memory). If you are unsatisfied with EK fans, there are some similar high pressure fans but they are expensive and not RGB from a couple brands: gentle typhoon (not sure which brand is making them now) and Noctua NF-A12. Corsair is known to make nice RGB fans as well, however they do have several models and I don't recall which ones are best for use with a Rad.

I believe the ideal setup for a high wattage GPU in a dual component loop for this case is a two rad setup with rads on the top and bottom (one can probably be 240mm) with the side as an intake. I'm not sure if the bottom would be better as an intake or exhaust in this setup. Top for sure exhaust. I'm still working it out myself and I don't have all the answers, but hopefully this will help a bit.

I am not overclocking so that helps. The different picture is the old configuration. The rad I am currently using is the same thickness as the one that was giving me about 12-20 degree lower temps in aluminum. I know metals have different thermal properties, but I don't think its just the rad. Heck, I would think copper would transfer better. But that is a guess based off of most stock laptop cooling setups. I think its the fans.

Why would you use the side as an intake? I am very new to this, and have the major disadvantage of a semi-permanent time crunch. I should really have time to research this stuff... when I retire in a few decades. :(

I liked the vardar fans, but $50 each to have 2/3 have bad bearings in under a year with light use doesn't excite me. I don't care about RGB. I am still on the fence about the lighting from back there anyway, if I decide I want it I can move the "low rider" LEDs back there, I think there is just enough of a gap. I was looking at some noctua fans on amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CG2PGY6/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A1Z5H6ZGWCMTNX&psc=1 I started getting really confused while trying to find good fans, so I figured I would ask here. The guys (and gals) haven't steered me wrong yet. I can get some of the specs from amazon, but I can't get trustworthy feedback on durability.

They might be hard to find nowadays, but the Gentle Typhoon fans, in my opinion, are about the best rad fan ever made and they're fairly quiet if you use the 1450 RPM fans. That's what I have and think it's about perfect. They cool better than anything else I've used and I swear they're quieter than my Noctura fans even though the specs claim the Noctura has a lower db rating. If you need higher flow, there is another Gentle Typhoon that is rated at 1850 RPM.

EDIT: The Cooler Guys still carry the Gentle Typhoons, a bit pricey at $20 each, but well worth it.

These are 2150rpm, but also pwm https://www.coolerguys.com/collecti...50-1850-2150-and-4250-rpm?variant=17667278149. For non-rgb I would go with them or these https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NF-A1...ds=NF-a12&qid=1574646714&s=electronics&sr=1-3 (basically a copy of the gentle typhoon. Also I can only find them in brown).

For RGB the ML120s from corsair.

I think that the airflow will be less restricted when using the rad as an intake and top as exhaust. Also you will be getting the coolest possible ambient air (although its probably a pretty minimal difference). At stock clocks that should be enough rad, you are correct, but it is cutting it a bit close being a slim rad imho.

I am so glad I asked you guys. I went with the gentle typhoons. The system dropped 10 degrees just from changing the fans. They are quiet too. I think the comment about the side not getting as much air as the top may be spot on, the venting does not go as wide there. Will have to think hard about moving it back to the top. Might add a 240mm rad as well. Put that one on the side and move the 360 to the top. Will see. Top temp now while playing warframe (standard clock speed) is 62. Not chilly, but not bad. Could it get a lot better with the second rad?

yeah dual rads would work better. You ideally want 120mm for each 100w of heat produced. I don't remember what your specs are but if CPU+GPU exceeds 300W then another rad would be good. Best would be having them both intake or both exhaust though, as my temps drop significantly if I remove the side panels on mine. I currently have top and bottom rads, intake through bottom and exhaust through top.

My best guess as to the ideal configuration would be side intake (no rad) and top and bottom rad exhaust. That or maybe bottom intake and top and side rad exhaust.

yeah dual rads would work better. You ideally want 120mm for each 100w of heat produced. I don't remember what your specs are but if CPU+GPU exceeds 300W then another rad would be good. Best would be having them both intake or both exhaust though, as my temps drop significantly if I remove the side panels on mine. I currently have top and bottom rads, intake through bottom and exhaust through top.

My best guess as to the ideal configuration would be side intake (no rad) and top and bottom rad exhaust. That or maybe bottom intake and top and side rad exhaust.

I am quite torn on where to put them. I like the side, but the air flow reduction is real. You can hear the difference when I put the side panel on. That said, when I look at component placement, all of my items with a heat sink on the board are up near the top. Fans blowing cool air across them would really help those components, so I don't really want to put a rad at the top. Plus, if it ever leaks, the top feels super risky.

I could modify the side panel of the case to allow more airflow, and add another rad at the bottom, both rads in exhaust mode or side in bottom out, plus intake fans up top blowing cool air across the board. There is a vented area in the back of the case that can help pull in more air if needed. I think if I cut out the side panel area in front of the fans, then superglue in one of those static air filters on the inside as a guard its an easy, inexpensive fix that would drastically increase my air flow. I have a dremel kit, and I am pretty sure there is a real side grinder on the farm I could put a cutting blade on as well. It wouldn't look that bad either, not after I clean the edges and touch up the paint.

I don't really know what my wattage is. I know I have an I7 and the ATX2080 card. I think the 2080 came a little overclocked, it was a bare Asus card designed to have a waterblock put on it. I think I heard them say something about founders edition, so it may be a first run version of the card. Looking at the core temp app, it shows the I7 at 30W on the highest reading I have a photo of on my phone. Its temps have been lower than the GPU, it was able to hit 50 before I swapped the fans out, not sure it even gets that high now. Would have to run a test on it later.

I am so glad I asked you guys. I went with the gentle typhoons. The system dropped 10 degrees just from changing the fans. They are quiet too.

Glad you found a couple Gentle Typhoon fans for your rad. Wow, 10 degree drop in temp. They have 3 or 4 different RPMs to choose from, which speed did you get?

what i7 do you have they range from 93w to i think like 150w!? the 2080 is 215w so if the "i7" is a 9700k that's 95w, you are at 305w right at the cusp of what is recommended for a 360mm radiator they generally recommend 120mm of radiator per 100w, more if you want it quiet AND cool.

Glad you found a couple Gentle Typhoon fans for your rad. Wow, 10 degree drop in temp. They have 3 or 4 different RPMs to choose from, which speed did you get?

I went with the 2150rpm pmw fans. I am pretty sure I have never heard them go full blast. They really push a lot more air. I am glad I went with them.

Back