• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Not overclocking CPU but need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FnB

Registered
I'm not overclocking my pc at the moment, but I want to do an upgrade. I'm doing a lot of video editing and want to upgrade to a 9700k. I'm not sure what cooler I would have to go to, for a cpu that isn't overclocked, but will be running at 100% for days. I know there are a lot of good ones that can do it, but I'm not made of money, even going to the 9700k is stretching the budget.

Another question I would like to ask is on ram. Could i run Kingston HyperX Fury HX426C15FBK2/16 (already have but can't get it anymore) with HyperX Fury HX426C16FB2K2/16. If the answer is yes, would I have to overclock the 2666MHz ram to prevent a bottleneck with the 9700k?

Cheers for any advice :beer:

I'm not overclocking my pc at the moment, but I want to do an upgrade. I'm doing a lot of video editing and want to upgrade to a 9700k. I'm not sure what cooler I would have to go to, for a cpu that isn't overclocked, but will be running at 100% for days. I know there are a lot of good ones that can do it, but I'm not made of money, even going to the 9700k is stretching the budget.

Another question I would like to ask is on ram. Could i run Kingston HyperX Fury HX426C15FBK2/16 (already have but can't get it anymore) with HyperX Fury HX426C16FB2K2/16. If the answer is yes, would I have to overclock the 2666MHz ram to prevent a bottleneck with the 9700k?

Cheers for any advice :beer:

If you're not overclocking you could get the i7-9700 which comes with a HS/Fan for about $30 less. The turbo speed is 4.7 GHz as opposed to the 4.9 GHz turbo speed of the K version.

Regarding the RAM it is likely you can run it fine at the CL 16 timings for the HX426C16FB2K2/16 set. I would not overclock this RAM for a system running at 100% for days especially since you would be using mismatched pairs. Intel processors do not benefit from high-speed RAM like AMD Ryzen CPUs do so you should be fine. Intel specifies DDR4-2666 RAM for the i7-9700 and i7-9700K processors.

What cpu are you using now. Is this a straight cpu upgrade/swap or are you buying a new motherboard as well and ram?

If you're not overclocking you could get the i7-9700 which comes with a HS/Fan for about $30 less. The turbo speed is 4.7 GHz as opposed to the 4.9 GHz turbo speed of the K version.

Regarding the RAM it is likely you can run it fine at the CL 16 timings for the HX426C16FB2K2/16 set. I would not overclock this RAM for a system running at 100% for days especially since you would be using mismatched pairs. Intel processors do not benefit from high-speed RAM like AMD Ryzen CPUs do so you should be fine. Intel specifies DDR4-2666 RAM for the i7-9700 and i7-9700K processors.

The reason I was thinking of the 9700k was that you never know when it comes to the OC, but I didn't realise the 9700 came with a heat-sink and fan. So just hummer me on a small OC in my spare time, it's only 2 time's a year it's doing that workload for a 2 week stretch. I did say "small" OC.
Now that I've looked again, is there any point of Integrated Graphics on a Desktop PC with a graphics card?

What cpu are you using now. Is this a straight cpu upgrade/swap or are you buying a new motherboard as well and ram?

I will be upgrading the MB as well. My current PC is old enough to still have DDR3 ram. The reason I have that DDR4 is because a friend upgraded his PC and gave it to me.

I will be upgrading the MB as well. My current PC is old enough to still have DDR3 ram. The reason I have that DDR4 is because a friend upgraded his PC and gave it to me.

You could also look into the Ryzen 7 3700x for the same price as the 9700k, comes with a cooler as well but has 8 cores and 16 threads opposed to the 9700k’s 8 cores and 8 threads. I don’t think there is much in performance in things like games but the fact it has multi threading may help you with the video rendering times. You may have to check out some benchmarks of your video software to see which is better.

The reason I was thinking of the 9700k was that you never know when it comes to the OC, but I didn't realise the 9700 came with a heat-sink and fan. So just hummer me on a small OC in my spare time, it's only 2 time's a year it's doing that workload for a 2 week stretch. I did say "small" OC.
Now that I've looked again, is there any point of Integrated Graphics on a Desktop PC with a graphics card?

No need for IGP, Newegg has the i7-9700KF for $320. No HS/Fan of course.

Just make sure to get a Z390 chipset motherboard. You can get a decent one for under $150.

Just make sure to get a Z390 chipset motherboard. You can get a decent one for under $150.

Thanks for telling me that, I wouldn't have known.

You could also look into the Ryzen 7 3700x for the same price as the 9700k, comes with a cooler as well but has 8 cores and 16 threads opposed to the 9700k’s 8 cores and 8 threads. I don’t think there is much in performance in things like games but the fact it has multi threading may help you with the video rendering times. You may have to check out some benchmarks of your video software to see which is better.

I find it really hard to consider an AMD! I have had 2. The first one was the second PC i ever had back in 1996, then i got more Intel's, then the AMD's started struggling IMO. The second was a pre-built that I got for my mum a couple of years ago. It has turned into something that is slow for even looking at the internet. Intel has always been good to me.

I read that sealed Liquid cooler's don't leak, but they do gradually evaporate, is this true?

Do look at your case cooling. It is important to note the case is responsible for supplying an adequate supply of cool air flowing through the case. The CPU cooler need only toss the CPU's heat into that flow. If the case cannot extract the heated air from inside the case quick enough, even the best CPU cooler will be struggling. You typically want good "front-to-back" flow. And you typically want slight over-pressure (more air being pulled in by intake fans than being pushed out by exhaust fans). A slight over-pressure helps ensure most of the air is being pulled in through the intake vents instead of also around all the connectors, ports and through the optical drive and any other crack or opening in the case. This is especially important if you have filters on those intake vents.

Back