• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Not understanding all the hoopla about expensive phablets

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yea, All good points ^^^I understand that the new Galaxy tabs have NO micro SD slot?

I guess if it has tons of storage, then I guess it is ok, but I like to be able swap out cards when they get full.
There isn't a newer Galaxy Note tablet (other than the 12" one), and mine certainly has a SD card. The Galaxy S6 does not, which is pretty annoying.

There isn't a newer Galaxy Note tablet (other than the 12" one), and mine certainly has a SD card. The Galaxy S6 does not, which is pretty annoying.

Yes it is, I did opt for the 64 gig version for that reason. Part of why I spent what I did is this is my all around portable device, it's my only camera and music player and it keeps me occupied when it's slow at work.

I found a site (thanks to hexamob) where they have all the "other" brands like lenovo, huawei, viewsonic, elephone, etc at 1949deal. I am surprised at how many different companies out there, and it looks like some of those off brands could put Galaxy and Iphones to shame with octa-cores, 13mp cameras,2gig ram, rom upgradable to 64gb, and less than $400.00, like the Lenovo A 8 golden Warrior at around $150.00 which is a pretty good deal from what I've read lately... I also saw a phone called "Bluboo x550" that has a 5300mah battery...the phone looks good too,

I found a site (thanks to hexamob) where they have all the "other" brands like lenovo, huawei, viewsonic, elephone, etc at 1949deal. I am surprised at how many different companies out there, and it looks like some of those off brands could put Galaxy and Iphones to shame with octa-cores, 13mp cameras,2gig ram, rom upgradable to 64gb, and less than $400.00, like the Lenovo A 8 golden Warrior at around $150.00 which is a pretty good deal from what I've read lately... I also saw a phone called "Bluboo x550" that has a 5300mah battery...the phone looks good too,

The problem with this is making sure it's compatible with your carrier.

Yea, it would be nice to have the carrier list compatible phones, other than their own offerings, which is why I will use tracfone for the foreseeable future, as they let you "bring your own" phone.
Or, even better yet, let the phone makers list the companies that could be compatible with their phones.

I found a site (thanks to hexamob) where they have all the "other" brands like lenovo, huawei, viewsonic, elephone, etc at 1949deal. I am surprised at how many different companies out there, and it looks like some of those off brands could put Galaxy and Iphones to shame with octa-cores, 13mp cameras,2gig ram, rom upgradable to 64gb, and less than $400.00

How would those specs put say an S6 to shame? While I paid more than $400 I have an octa-core 2GB RAM 64GB flash and a pretty good camera and 16 MP (MP doesn't mean squat but how big the pic is really) plus a 1440 x 2560 screen (which I will say is pointless on a 5.5 in screen)

Last edited:

How would those specs put say an S6 to shame? While I paid more than $400 I have an octa-core 2GB RAM 64GB flash and a pretty good camera and 16 MP (MP doesn't mean squat but how big the pic is really) plus a 1440 x 2560 screen (which I will say is pointless on a 5.5 in screen)

:thup:

Well, maybe "put them to shame" is a poor choice of words...what I should have said is that the bigger companies Samsung, Apple, etc seem to be overcharging for their hardware, but to each his/her own.

What I was trying to point out is that you don't have to rape your wallet to get a really good phone with the latest OS

That I will agree with. Trust me it took me a long time to break down and buy an S6 but I did it on Verizon's edge plan so it splits the extra cost beyond what carriers bury in the contract price monthly. So it comes to an extra $15 or so, after it paid off which I can do anytime my bill drops $30

That I will agree with. Trust me it took me a long time to break down and buy an S6 but I did it on Verizon's edge plan so it splits the extra cost beyond what carriers bury in the contract price monthly. So it comes to an extra $15 or so, after it paid off which I can do anytime my bill drops $30
My 64gb was under $5/mo, 32gb was $0.61, and the 128gb was $8/mo. They didn't have any 128gb, though. :(

Which is why I bought an unlocked d6603. It works anywhere in the world using a nanosim. You have to ask for a nanosim from whatever carrier you choose to go with. I'm with AT&T US right now and on my sisters family plan my phone costs $10/month:). I could conceivably sign up with anyone who can spit out a nanosim. Though truly it would be better if the phone took them all. Yes I payed alot upfront but that was so I don't have to 'upgrade' for as long as possible. Buying phones through carriers is like chasing your own tail.
D6603 available networks: GSM850, GSM900, GSM1800, GSM1900, UMTS850 (B5), UMTS900 (B8), UMTS1700/2100 (B4), UMTS1900 (B2), UMTS2100 (B1), LTE2100 (B1), LTE700 (B17), LTE850 (B5), LTE1700/2100 (B4), LTE1800 (B3), LTE2600 (B7), LTE1900 (B2), LTE900 (B8), LTE800 (B20)
Carriers: GPRS, EDGE, UMTS, HSDPA, HSUPA, HSPA+, LTE

Last edited:
Which is why I bought an unlocked d6603. It works anywhere in the world using a nanosim. You have to ask for a nanosim from whatever carrier you choose to go with. I'm with AT&T US right now and on my sisters family plan my phone costs $10/month:). I could conceivably sign up with anyone who can spit out a nanosim. Though truly it would be better if the phone took them all. Yes I payed alot upfront but that was so I don't have to 'upgrade' for as long as possible. Buying phones through carriers is like chasing your own tail.
D6603 available networks: GSM850, GSM900, GSM1800, GSM1900, UMTS850 (B5), UMTS900 (B8), UMTS1700/2100 (B4), UMTS1900 (B2), UMTS2100 (B1), LTE2100 (B1), LTE700 (B17), LTE850 (B5), LTE1700/2100 (B4), LTE1800 (B3), LTE2600 (B7), LTE1900 (B2), LTE900 (B8), LTE800 (B20)
Carriers: GPRS, EDGE, UMTS, HSDPA, HSUPA, HSPA+, LTE

My point is that at Verizon I walk in and say "I want that one". And I know it will work.
With unlocked phones you have to do the leg work and put in time to find a phone you like, then make sure it works on your carrier.

games like MC5 and Dead trigger at max(sadly the tegra effects can't be turned on with root on non tegras after the update)require a powerful phone which cheap phones can't handle specially with QHD screens!
and other than beautiful screen and good cameras they got features like s-pen etc.

Actually, I play dead trigger on my phone and it plays great...I break out the MOGA whenever I play though, and I play Dead Trigger 2 on the PC through Facebook. Because of playing DT 2 on the PC, I somehow feel that the experience will diminish if I were to try to play it on my tab. Besides there are tons of games that I can play on the tab, and the prices are pretty good. I will try MC5 soon as I figure out how to use my PS3 wired controller without root. :)

Actually, I play dead trigger on my phone and it plays great...I break out the MOGA whenever I play though, and I play Dead Trigger 2 on the PC through Facebook. Because of playing DT 2 on the PC, I somehow feel that the experience will diminish if I were to try to play it on my tab. Besides there are tons of games that I can play on the tab, and the prices are pretty good. I will try MC5 soon as I figure out how to use my PS3 wired controller without root. :)

i feel like dead trigger isn't good enough to play on pc :D but good when you have nothing to do and no PC :)
but anyway what is your phone? + what setting do you play at? my note 4 lags at high but my father's One m8 works great on max! but its lags a little sometimes!

My phone is a Huawei 868c "Glory" (just a basic single core smartphone) and I play Dead Trigger (the original) at default settings..When I'm playing on the phone it's just to relieve boredom. The only settings that I even messed with was the sensitivity of the MOGA controller

My phone is a Huawei 868c "Glory" (just a basic single core smartphone) and I play Dead Trigger (the original) at default settings..When I'm playing on the phone it's just to relieve boredom. The only settings that I even messed with was the sensitivity of the MOGA controller

:O the game looks much different on high!
But my old HD2 can run it on low! :) i mean used to until the touchscreen died :(

Just for the record, any camera with a tiny lens has poor resolution. Add to that throwing that lens in your pocket where it gets covered in lint, finger grease and who knows what else in there is no way to make good pictures. There is a reason people cover their expensive lenses with filters and lens caps.

Just having many megapixels on your camera doesn't make it better. In many ways it can be far worse. More pixels means smaller pixels which increases diffraction around the pixels, decreases low light ability and make your pictures worse rather than better. Less pixels is sometimes more.

Don't kid yourself, those tiny cameras are ok for a quick snap shot, but they are no match for a dedicated camera. Not to mention the lack of optical zoom, optical image stabilization and macro ability.

Back