• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Not understanding all the hoopla about expensive phablets

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just for the record, any camera with a tiny lens has poor resolution. Add to that throwing that lens in your pocket where it gets covered in lint, finger grease and who knows what else in there is no way to make good pictures. There is a reason people cover their expensive lenses with filters and lens caps.

Just having many megapixels on your camera doesn't make it better. In many ways it can be far worse. More pixels means smaller pixels which increases diffraction around the pixels, decreases low light ability and make your pictures worse rather than better. Less pixels is sometimes more.

Don't kid yourself, those tiny cameras are ok for a quick snap shot, but they are no match for a dedicated camera. Not to mention the lack of optical zoom, optical image stabilization and macro ability.

i wasn't talking about megapixel, but yeah ofc, but still for many people like me their main camera is their phone :) and compared to my nexus 4 (which took terrible photos) s6/note 4 are much better :) and btw, i'm always careful with the lenses! my friend's m8 is so dirty that you can't see the lenses :D but i've only touched my note 4's lenses 3 times in the time i had it and it was small and i cleaned it :p
but yeah nothing beats a dedicated camera!

Because $600 (~$400 after rebates) got me:

An LG G3 with a 2560x1440 screen, LTE (faster than most home internet connections, though higher latency), and most importantly, removable storage and removable battery. I carry around 60 GB of music. Until they start making more 128+ GB phones, external storage is a must. I had to replace the battery on my old phone twice. If I decide to replace this phone in a few years, I'll have a power-efficient quad-core 2.5GHz w/ 3 GB RAM system I can rip out of its case and find some use for in a Z-Wave network. Maybe Gentoo will be ready for phones by then :p

I go with the phablets strictly for the erognomics; Ive got big hands so the big screens help with not hitting 3 buttons at once during texting and they dont cramp either with the wider screen

Last edited:
Back