• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NZXT Switch 810 dust proofing help needed.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grimreaper1014

Hi guys,

I finally decided to go out and upgrade my PC case so I would have some more room for water cooling. I ended up getting a leak in my H220 radiator so I ordered a 120x3 radiator from Swiftech with an integrated reservoir. I got it all hooked up and mounted up top of the NZXT Switch 810. I have always had a big dust problem in my house. I just replaced the furnace filter with a really good filter but that did not seam to help too much. Anyways the dust is getting past the dust filters it the 810 switch and it is already pretty dusty inside from about a weeks worth of running. I noticed a lot of dust on the front bottom right corner where the dust filter does not protect. I don't know why they made that filter like that. Below is how I have things setup.

I have 3 Switech Helix 120's on top and 3 on the bottom of the radiator at the top. Then, I have the original rear 140mm exhaust, two 140's in the front, and one 140 in the upper spot that is used to cool the GPU/CPU. I have ordered 3 more NZXT 140mm fans to use as well. Anyone got any ideas on what I can do to stop this from happening? I am getting really tired of all the dust and can't seam to come up with a way to get rid of it. Over the years I have tried everything I can possibly think of. Would buying a air purifier for my living room help at all? That is where I have my PC at. The living room is pretty big. I think it is like 10x20. If a purifier will help can anyone recommend one?

Thanks,
Rocky

If you want to save yourself a TON of money, get some hepa filters. They make them in tons of sizes. The "pc" branded ones are lower quality, and cost about oh... 10 times as much...

http://www.totalvac.com/20-86883.html

And before people cry... these are designed to be high flow with low restrictions.

image.jpg

I have a antec 900 case. I use a filter from a shop vac ( at any Home Depot ) slice to need and insert into place. It's used for the round hepa inside the unit. It does not have such a fine screen on it. Ie not needed to be cleaned as often. Can be easily cleaned with water. It has large airflow as well.

Btw, I just slapped it in place for the pic, usually mounted right. Hehe.

If it blocks dust super but it looks to me that it is so thick i will imagine no air is flowing in or out Please dont forget i have never used this before therefore i am just saying whats on my mind :) :)

btw do you keep that on every day ? is your computer running every day

It's a mesh and the airflow is great. It does not have a high density. Yes, all the time, I had it off when I was. Working on something. I think it was only like 2 bucks. It lasts longer with debris on it that the high density screens your looking at. It is really great for animal hair and such. It's ised in shop FACS for around the outside of the fine filter to grab larger stuff yetallow airflow.

ok great i will take a PIC and see if i can find it around where i Live and give it a shot

because my PC collects dust like crazy , i dont mind to clean it 2 times a week i just use the vacuum but unhooking and hooking every thing up again is the pain :)

thank you

If it blocks dust super but it looks to me that it is so thick i will imagine no air is flowing in or out Please dont forget i have never used this before therefore i am just saying whats on my mind :) :)

btw do you keep that on every day ? is your computer running every day

Most vacuums have high air flow, no?

Hepa filters are designed to work in ventillation systems, and are inherently high flow with very little restriction. Under idle temps, your computer wouldnt be any hotter, and under 100% load, youd get maybe 1-3c hotter (based on my experience, ymmv)

Just a thought...but what are the conditions of where you keep your case? Floor? Carpet? Pets? Sometimes it's all about location, location, location.

I was keeping my computer on the floor (after all where else really?) but dust is a serious problem for me as well. While my "man cave," as my wife calls it, :p is hardwood floor, I do live with 2 dogs and 2 cats. Moving my computer to on top of my desk made a huge difference. Filters will help, but location may have an impact as well.

I keep mine on the Floor I also have wooden floor but no pets , I wish i had the time for a dog , Me and My wife always agreed that when one of us retires we will get a dog , but in the mean time with both of us working , this will be not fair to the animal

They need alot of attention worse then kids

thank you

Back