• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[o.c] amd phenom x2 550 overclocked

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ion_ftw

Registered
hello guys
recently i overclocked my phenom x2 using auto overclock utility in my bios.
it overclocked to 3359 mhz,after testing on prime 95 for like 12 minutes temp was idle 76c
i know thats alot of heat,this is because im using stock cooler with almost no thermal paste.planning to change my cooler in 1 or 2 weeks
so should i stick with this overclocked frequency? or try to go for more using manual override?
i also tried to unlock core using asus core unlock utility and it went pretty well,but as you know i dont hav enough cooling,so on prime 95 it crashed after continuously rise in temperature to 90c and then i went back to 2 cores after resetting bios.

so suggest me guys,what should i do.(system specs are in siggy and im using 2 ram sticks in single mode)
here are some pics might help.
1.after overclock with 2 cores and on prime 95

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/822/capture1aw.jpg/
2.without prime 95 on idle with cpu-z stats(after overclock ofc.)

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/820/capturekbl.jpg

ty

Scale it back , and re apply thermal paste as those temps are shocking, they are higher on idle than they should be on load and if you keep running that system like that you will more than likely end up with a failure of some sort. You're load temps should be no higher than 55c just so you know where you should be aiming for.

alot of heat,this is because im using stock cooler with almost no thermal paste.planning to change my cooler in 1 or 2 weeks = And you ask us if we think you should be overclocking? Short answer, No. Long answer, No I would not.

sigh, a newbie's call?
anyway going back to factory setting and tomorrow will buy thermal paste

COOLER MASTER Elite 430

Physical Spec

Dimensions 19.30" x 7.50" x 16.70"

IT is very likely that the CM 212 EVO may be t00 tall to fit inside that narrow case.

those 2 mentioned product are not available in my region.
i read on the box of my cabinet that it supports cooler master's hyper evo cooler's
its spacious etc.

this 1 says it'll fir.
and im not going to buy the "plus" version
i will just buy hyper 212 evo.(which is only available across my state >.< )

what about a tx3 evo? its small and affordable >.<
and as i will be using 2 core/ or 4 core(after overclock) processor.it shouldnt be producing much heat.else i dont know much just need to confirm this buy

what about a tx3 evo? its small and affordable >.<
and as i will be using 2 core/ or 4 core(after overclock) processor.it shouldnt be producing much heat.else i dont know much just need to confirm this buy
I have used this cooler and can say that i would not recommend it for overclocking, especially a quad core (if unlocked) , i used it on a x3 athlon II and it could not take the heat once i started overclocking it, its fine @ stock but once you ramp up the vcore it is pretty poor.

Well, if it says it supports it I suppose it will. You speak of the hyper 212+ evo, I take it? Seems like we had a forum participant a while back who bought that case/cooler combo and found out it wouldn't fit, though.

This may be helpful: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/337562-28-will-hyper-elite

At least the left side case cover has no fan protruding into the case. It seems a flat acrylic panel on that side only.

The TX3 might work well on a two-core cpu but be n0t nearly enough if you went to a more powerful cpu. I hate to see people spend money without any look forward at all.

You live where it is hot. You want to overclock. Those two situations are not likely to get along well together.

If I could get the CM 212 Hyper to fit...it would be what I would get and not a lesser air cooler. If it fits it fits and has more flexibility for the future.

@ all techies
i ordered 212 evo,it'll reach till 29th.
till than i though of little experiments.i bought new thermal paste and after cleaning processor and factory heat sink i applied some paste and voila.
temp. is stable now.even with prime95 test(20 min) its idle at 56c
then i thought of moving a step ahead >.<
i unlocked all 4 cores and then tested with prime 95
now the temperature was maximum 65 (20 min of prime 95 test).
and at idle its like 47.
so should i keep unlock for now? its stable and my new cooler is coming soon anyway.
now i got phenom x4 b50,a black edition processor :D

here a screenie of 4 cores and prime 95.

Last edited:
As stated earlier the max core temp should Not exceed 55c LOAD not idle , I don't know why you're Temps are so high but I would not like to run it at those temps, have you tried using a different monitoring programme like hwmonitor or coretemp as those temps are unreasonably high, if you are on stock vcore, post up a pic of hwmonitor while running prime and we can see if there is a high vcore causing that much heat ...47c idle :eek:

What was the brand of the new thermal paste you bought? Some of them, like Arctic Silver 5 have a "curing" time. They improve some with time (the company says the curing time is 200 hrs.) and after a few days of running time your temps are actually better.

Please realize that when you unlock cores you lose the ability to monitor core temps. That's why after unlocking the core your core temps shows "0"c. For some reason unlocking the core blocks that reading so you only have CPU socket temps to go off of. However, the difference between CPU temps and socket temps remains the same whether you run it as a two core or an unlocked 4 cores. So when we unlock cores we first take note of that differential before we unlock the cores. Then to figure the core temp we just do the math. Core temps are the critical ones.

So, you should go back and check what the core temps were as a two core CPU, that is lock the cores temporarily and check that before returning to four cores. You may have to do this again when your new cooler arrives because the differential between core temp and CPU temp will be altered when you change the cooling power.

With a stock cooler the core temps are usually a few degrees higher than your CPU socket temps. So if under max load your CPU socket temps are 63 your core temps may be almost 70c. They're getting close to the dangerous level under load so no, don't try to overclock it until you get your new cooler. You don't want those socket temps to exceed about 70c.

Finally, you would be better served using HWMonitor instead of SpeedFan to monitor your temps. Speedfan is not well-maintained. Most of us use HWMonitor around here and it is more trustworthy than Speedfan for newer hardware. Also, HWMonitor gives a lot more useful information than does Speedfan.

thermal paste was some local brand but it really did amazing.
cpu temperature doesnt goes beyond 65 @ prime95
usually its at 45-57c which is doin ok for now( at quad cores).
thermal paste reduced almost 15-20c and new psu will surely reduce more 15-20c and arctic silver isnt available in my region,so will use cooler master's thermal paste(the 1 which will come with cooler).
i played bf3 on ultra for like 3 hours and 55-60 fps,and this was amazing for me.
here a screenie of hwmoniter(at unlocked cores)
and i wont overclock for now,will wait till cpu cooler comes.
and about that RAM "@Harry" can you plz check of my processor supports 1600 mhz ram or not.

No, your processor will not support 1600 mhz ram. And actually, tests show that neither Intel or AMD current processors can even take advantage of ram bandwidth in excess of 1333 mhz. In other words, there is no performance benefit to it. However, 1600 mhz ram can easily run at 1333 mhz or any lower speed so if you have a price break on 1600 mhz ram go for it.

man this corsair vangeance doesnt work alone in socket.have to install it with god damn kingston 2 gb in single mode. i ordered for an exchange under warranty,i think ram is defaulted.

Back