• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[o.c] amd phenom x2 550 overclocked

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Okay, here it is:
1. Turn off all Automatic Overclocking features. Set overclock mode to manual.
2. Set the CPU frequency to the stock 200 mhz and the CPU multiplier to the stock 15.5x. Temporarily turn off core unlocking. Return it to dual core mode and the CPU core voltage to stock or Auto.
3. Make sure Cool N Quiet and C1E are turned off. Then go into Windows Control Panel Power Options and configure it to High Performance.
4. Put the ram frequency to 1333 mhz.

Post back when these things are all in place with attached pictures of CPU-z tabs: "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD".

done:
proc :
capturevyx.jpg

memory :
memaal.jpg

spd 1:
mem2u.jpg

spd 2:
mem1n.jpg

Okay, now run Prime95 blend for 20 minutes with HWMonitor open to check both core temps and CPU temps. Take note of the difference between the max core temp and the max CPU temp (one of the "TMPINx" lines). In fact, post back with an attached pic of HWMonitor after the test.

Here is the rational behind this: When you unlock cores you lose the ability to monitor core temps and you only have CPU socket temps to look at. The differential between core temps and socket temps, however, remains fairly constant so if you know what the socket temps are you can calculate the core temp with the differential. Do you understand? After this is done you can unlock the cores again.

gotcha bro, now running test will edit and post screenshot.
here screenie:

can i unlock my cores now?
difference is 4c

Last edited:
Yes, unlock the cores now.

Increase your CPU core voltage to 1.4

Increase your CPUNB voltage to 1.225

Increase you RAM voltage to 1.525

Increase your CPUNB frequency to 2400 mhz

Set CPU Load Line Calibration to Enabled instead of Auto. Leave CPUNB Load Line Calibration on Auto.

Next, increase you CPU multiplier from 15.5x to 16x and run a 20 minute Prime95 blend test with HWMonitor open on the desktop to monitor temps and CPU core voltages.

If you pass the Prime95 text go back and increase the multiplier to 16.5x and test again for 20 minutes.

Always have HWMonitor open on the desktop to monitor temps and voltages whenever you run Prime95.

See how far you can take the multiplier on this CPU core voltage, making .5x increases between stress tests.

When you start to fail the Prime stress test, increase the CPU core voltage by .025.

When CPU socket temps begin exceed 65c, don't add any more core voltage.

Don't let your maximum core voltage exceed 1.55 under load.

Report back with pics of HWMonitor, and CPU-z tabs: CPU, Memory and SPD when you "hit the wall".

maximum cpunb frequency available to me is 2000 mhz
here is screenie
img0124yp.jpg

and what is cpu core voltage?its like cpu manual voltage and i cant see option where ram voltage could be changed,
img0125ze.jpg

CPU core voltage is the same as CPU manual voltage. To enter values manually you have to take things off of Auto. For short around here we just call it "vcore".

CPU Ratio = CPU multiplier

Not sure why you it won't let you set CPUNB frequency to 2400. I have the same motherboard and mine will let me. Just leave it a 2000 mhz for now.

Last edited:
ok, i changed everything for 1st step
incresed multiplier to 16x
FYI i have to set ai overclock tuner to d.o.c.p mode
because in auto mode there is no multiplier option.
btw when i reboted pc and came in cpu to chk stats,multiplier was 15.5x and frequency didnt affected at all. what could be the cause?

What does d.o.c.p stand for?

Wait a minute! Do you have a black edition CPU? In other words, is the multiplier upwardly unlocked. Seems to me some of the X2 550s had locked multipliers.

i dont know,may be i dont hav a b.e
but after unlocking cores,it says b50(which seems black edition)
and you can go and chk ur bios menu.it also has d.o.c.p option.

anyways,i changed overclock utility to manual(not docp) and there was no multiplier option,so i changed bus freq from 200 to 220.
on same voltages u described above. now going to run stress test for 2 hours will post soon

Phenom 2 X2 550 C3 stepping is n0t unlockable it seems.

Phenom 2 X2 550 BE C2 stepping is UNlockable.

Yeah, that' s what I came up with too.

Ion-ftw, I apologize. I was thinking all along that it was a black edition CPU and its not. So, as you have already started doing, you will need to use the front side bus (aka, CPU frequency) to overclock. That is more complicate, however, because the frequencies of the ram, the HT Link and the CPUNB are all tuned to the FSB and will rise in concert. Any one of them will cause instability when they get too high so they have to be adjusted downward to compensate.

That CPU came in two "steppings": C2 and C3. Steppings are refer to small changes in the CPU internal instruction set (and maybe small changes in the architecture, too bu I'm not sure about that).

So, you will need to:
1. Lower the starting speed of the ram from 1333 to 1066 in bios to give it some "headroom" to grow with the increasing frequency of the fsb.
2. Same with HT Link frequency. You want to keep this in the 1800-2000 mhz range as you overclock.
3. Keep an eye on the CPUNB frequency. As long as you supplement the stock voltage it will do fine with a little overclock and this will also enhance memory performance. It should do 2400-2600 just fine.

Try to get the fsb to 250 mhz if you can as that will put your ram back up to the fully rated frequency of 1333. If the CPU won't handle that much overclock then even with a non black edtion CPU you can lower the multiplier even though you can't raise it.

What does d.o.c.p stand for?

In case he comes to the use of D.O.C.P again. DOCP is a memory divider profile system that allows a quick selection of a memory divider and have the board make adjustments to suit automatically. I would surely think that function would be off.

no need to apologize trentz.
ok i too noticed hikes in ram frequency and cpu/nb frequency.
cpu/nb frequency now has 2400 mhz speed(when i increased fsb frequency to 240)
i ran 2 hours prime 95 and it works fine.
no wim going to increase bus to final 250 mhz and monitor change after that increment,will post soon

damn,i just encountered a blue screen error.i increased fsb to 250(voltages same as mention by you above, harry)
ram frequency was 1332 mhz,and cpu/nb was 2500 mhz.
cpu overclocked to 3920 mhz and i boted pc,after i logged into windows,blue screen of death appeared.i quickly restarted and restored fsb to 240 mhz
this made my ram to go back to 1279 mhz and cpu/nb to 2400 mhz automatically,but its working now >.<

You didn't mention the most critical component affected by increasing the FSB, namely the HT Link frequency. Unlike the CPUNB, it will not stand much overclocking at all. You need to lower it in bios to keep in between 1800-2000 mhz. Why don't you post some pics of the three CPU-z tabs and of HWMonitor and let's have a look see at votages, temps and frequencies.

Back