• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[o.c] amd phenom x2 550 overclocked

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
When you get your new cooler, disregard the method the instructions that accompany it recommend. This is a better way to apply the thermal paste for that kind of cooler where the copper pipes are exposed, two lines instead of a blob: http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.p...sk=view&id=170&Itemid=38&limit=1&limitstart=5

Kind of wish I had read this when I was putting my cooler on. : ( I had to re-apply paste twice before it dawned on me to put it directly on the copper pipes of my CM212 plus.

Even better than applying the paste in lines parallel to the pipes as shown in the link might be to apply two lines across the pipes. The ridges and valleys along the bottom of that style of cooler tend to block the spread of the paste a lot of times.

hey harry.
yesterday night after using my pc i switched monitor off and went to sleep( never shut a pc down >.< )
today i switched it on,and i was at log in screen(pc must have rebooted) idk why and my quad core b50 processor was reverted back to x2 550. and temperatures were again high,47 idle no upgrades done with proc.
any idea why?

There's always a chance that once you unlock the cores on you're processor, one or both of the unlocked cores may be defective, you can test this by doing a long prime 95 test (2hr+) and see of it passes but due to you're cooling problems at the moment that is not an option for you right now, but you may have a defective core that caused you're CPU to shut down (bsod) or it may need more vcore to run unlocked and it has revert to stock fail safe settings on its reboot, which it does if it can't boot back in at the original settings you used, once you get you're new cooler and get you're temps under control then you will be able to test you're unlocked cores for viability, but until then it's just a guess as to what caused it.

Did your power go off for a moment? The other night our electrical service was erratic. Lights blinked once during the evening. Woke up the next morning and the computer had reset. Read in the news paper that the power company had been doing some upgrades on the system. Figured it was that as the computer is rock stable otherwise. Did you do enough Prime95 testing as a four core to make sure it was really stable? At least two hours of Prime95 blend?

Last edited:
15 minutes on prime 95. and we dont hav electrical company,we make our own electricity using windmills :p

@ all techies.
today i got my coolermaster hyper 212 evo,installed it
and then r boot up my pc,but on bios screen pc failed to restart because of low fan speed warning :|
fan speed was like 500-600 rpm.
then i went in bios changed the fan speed setting to ignore fan speed.
finally pc was started and temperature was down by 20c.
i ran prime 95 test for like 20 minutes on my processor(with cores unlock) and maximum temperature was maximum 48c on idle its like 36c(with cores unlocked)

1. so my fan speed is meant to be under 1200 rpm?
2.so temperatures are ok now according to you guys?

Max fan speed on that cooler is 2000 rpm. You need to go into bios and change the PWM profile. PWM=Pulse Width Modulation. It is a technoolgy that controls fan speed not by changing voltage but by adjusting the length of intermittent pulses of electricity in response to the temperature feedback of a sensor on your motherboard. You can disable it altogether so that the fan runs full speed all the time or you can adjust the aggressiveness of the profile so that the fan speed begins to increase at a lower or higher temperature threshold and you can also adjust the rate of the increase. It's something you have to play with. It's usually found in a bios section entitled something like "PC Health". If you don't want to mess with it and you don't mind the fan noise just disable it.

Wow! Your temps have improve quite a bit, huh!

LOl.yea its improved by like 15-20c
so trentz,here is my report on 2 hours of prime 95 test on unlocked cores.
watcha say ?huh

Looks good , but please use hwmonitor instead of fan speed! It gives us a lot more information that is needed and also put a pic of the cpuz main and spd tab in the screenshot also

TY guys!
i just overclocked my processor to 3.7 ghz :thup:(actually my mobo did it for me,it has something like auto tunning thingy:comp:

and now here are some pictures,no forum link as i dont want to spam forums

processor on cpu-z : http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/694/capturevhl.jpg/

hwmonitor: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/52/hwmyt.jpg/

spd for slot #3: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/593/spdcv.jpg/

spd for slot #4: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/191/spdks.jpg/

this last screenie is for harry.
you said my proc doesnt support 1600 mhz? huh huh!? suka?
here it is: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/444/img0121d.jpg/
:attn::attn:

edit: nvm harry,just encountered blue screen error(had to revert back ram to 1300 :cry::cry:

Last edited:
The SPD tab of CPU-z does not show the current frequency of the memory. It shows what the memory manufacturer recommends for voltages and timings the memory is capable of. If you would post a pic of the "Memory" tab from CPU-z we would be able to see what frequency your memory is actually running at. Please do so. Usually, auto overclocking tool in bios downclock the memory severly. We do not recommend using them.

And have you run a long (at least 2 hr.) Prime95 blend test to confirm the stability of those settings?

those test i posted above was like 2 hours 4 minutes with cabinet closed properly,air conditioning off in room. the max cpu temp after 2 hours with 95 stress test was 57c.
good huh?
and here is memory tab

As you can see, your ram is not running at 1600 mhz. It is runnig at 1384.2 (642.1x2). CPU-z reports ram speed according to the ram bus frequency which is half of the DDR3 transfer rate.

Attachments

• 642.JPG
    642.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 22
just read my reply up again. >.<
had a blue screen error and changed freq back to 1300

ion-ftw, those Automatic overclocking genies never manipulate enough variables in bios to give both a high overclock and a stable one at the same time. You need to learn how to overclock in a systematic way using the manual bios controls. If you are willing I could walk you through it but it would require patience because it's done in small, careful steps so as not to do harm to equipment.

Back