• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC-Forums logo design contest

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

greg

iNET Graphics Guy
Hello all.. As you know iNET Interactive is the new owner of OC-Forums. We need to change the logo, since the forum is no longer a direct part of Overclockers.com. Many people have said that having a contest would be the best way to come up with a new logo. To that end, we are officially launching a logo design contest. :) Below is the info on the contest.

PRIZE
Winner will receive $100, and the pride of having your work become the official OC-Forums logo.

RULES
1) MUST be original artwork. Unless you have permission from the original artist for US to use their design then all design elements must be original artwork.
2) Logos created will become the property of iNET Interactive.
3) Unlimited Entrees, but you can only win once.

FILE INFO
Vector based logos are preferred (eps or ai file). If you would rather not do a vector logo, then please provide the logo as a PSD file (300 DPI, print size 8 inches).

WANT WE WANT
We want a nice clean design that represents OC-Forums in some way. We want a version of your logo over a black background and one over a white background as well. The black background version will be used on the site, while the white background version will be used for print (i.e. press releases, fact sheets). You can use whatever colors you want for the actual logo. This is a whole new identity, so any color scheme is free game. If you feel that the current color scheme is best, you are more than welcome to go with it.

HOW WILL WE PICK A WINNER
We don't want to restrict users with strict guidelines. We will listen to everyone’s opinions and pick which one we feel would be best as the OC-Forums logo. We will do our best to guide your specific design along but we aren't putting any restrictions on what you can do.

END DATE
Oct. 17, 2003.

WHEN POSTING ENTREE
Please post a 'thumbnail' version first. You can post a 'full view' as well but to make it easier on us all post an image no bigger then 600x750.

Good luck everyone!

The iNET entry

I came up with a few ideas for the OC-Forums logo. This one is the one we all liked here at the office. My goal was to come up with a simple design that was clean-cut and easy to read. I also didn't want to use more than 3 colors, since it costs more to have the logo printed with lots of colors. I also used a lightning bolt, so there was some similarity to the current OC-Forums logo.

In the coming days I may come up with another idea, but this is what we have so far.

simple and clean cut yes... but also very bland.

looks decent but i'd like to see some other's attempts :)

if i had any skillz i'd try to make one :eek:

Maxvla said:
simple and clean cut yes... but also very bland.

looks decent but i'd like to see some other's attempts :)

if i had any skillz i'd try to make one :eek:

Its ok. Very simple. This may not be the best place to look for a cool logo for oc forums. Not that many people here are skilled logo designers. I could try and make something up, but I am not very good either. You may want to try posting this in the "Contests" section over at Yaxay (another forum owned by Inet if you didn't know). They are all graphics people and can easily make something really nice. Just make sure you tell them about the color scheme and you want to keep it similar colors, I assume. Try that.

Matt

mdcomp said:

Its ok. Very simple. This may not be the best place to look for a cool logo for oc forums. Not that many people here are skilled logo designers. I could try and make something up, but I am not very good either. You may want to try posting this in the "Contests" section over at Yaxay (another forum owned by Inet if you didn't know). They are all graphics people and can easily make something really nice. Just make sure you tell them about the color scheme and you want to keep it similar colors, I assume. Try that.

Matt

I'm pretty they want someone who posts here to help with the logo.

Gandalf said:

I'm pretty they want someone who posts here to help with the logo.

I am aware of that. I was just saying that most people here aren't really too great at graphics programs. I might be wrong, there may be a few people, but I am saying that at Yaxay there will be many many more experts working on this. I am just thinking of the good of the forums...:D . I would much rather see somebody posting here make a great logo for us, but in reality I don't know how many people here could or would do this.

Matt

mdcomp said:

I am aware of that. I was just saying that most people here aren't really too great at graphics programs. I might be wrong, there may be a few people, but I am saying that at Yaxay there will be many many more experts working on this. I am just thinking of the good of the forums...:D . I would much rather see somebody posting here make a great logo for us, but in reality I don't know how many people here could or would do this.

Matt
uberphlubb.. where are you? :D

Maxvla said:

uberphlubb.. where are you? :D

Yea, we could use him right now. Haven't really seen him around much lately other than his selling the Uber Monster thread.

Matt

ForumLogo1Lighting1.jpg

ForumLogo1Lighting2.jpg

ForumLogo1Lighting3.jpg

http://davinci.moh.bvsd.k12.co.us/student/SeigeA/comp/ForumLogo1Lighting1.psd
http://davinci.moh.bvsd.k12.co.us/student/SeigeA/comp/ForumLogo1Lighting2.psd
http://davinci.moh.bvsd.k12.co.us/student/SeigeA/comp/ForumLogo1Lighting3.psd

Its small but I could make it much larger if people liked it (and a white version).
I am also trying to get good lighting still (yes, I think it needs to be there).

EDIT: My server is down ATM thnks to Ploaf for hosting
ForumLogo1Lighting3.jpg

http://www.octeams.com/ForumLogo1Lighting3.psd

Last edited:
Working on some good models....and I can keep it 3 colors. However, My question is if differences of greyscale matter. As greyscale is actullay considered in the 244 range. However the 'color' of greyscale never changes. Variations could be considered colors.

I am taking this contest very seriously, it is a great opportunity for us all. I also pride myself in my graphic design and being able to cope with size constraints...

These are VERY rough drafts, however, I like their turnout thus far. Both use 15 colors, all but 2 I believe are on greyscale. 0% dither with no difference...saved in .jpg format for your viewing pleasure. Fear not for image size, as the black image is 6k and the white is 4k. Because I was shooting for lowest size at best quality possible, I can provide much higher quality logos upon request.
I wanted to keep the lightning, but show our advancement along as we have grown since the last logo. I wanted to keep some of the general feel, but give it a newer look.
Anyway, both of these logos are subject to change and I am sure I will be submitting more logos. Also, keep in mind that these logos are changeable in every single aspect of that word. I also have transparent backgrounds, different effects, add/remove/move lightnings, change font, etc. So questions/comments are most welcome, encouraged in fact. So help me, help you. :D

Hope you like my first two ideas to spit out....

oclogo2.1.jpg

oclogowhite2.1.jpg

These are detailed logos. If we are doing simple logos...let me know. :)

Last edited:
Looking good

Great start guys.. I wasn't expecting to see entries quit so fast.. I'm truly impressed. :)

It doesn't have to be simple.. but it's easier to use other places besides the forum if it is. AntiHeiss, if you do anymore I would like to see what you come up with in terms of a "simple" logo.

You guys don't have to put the domain under the logo if you don't want. What would be cool is if you guys could come up with a short slogan or something. Something that identifies what OC-Forums is.

I'm DEFINATELY getting involved.

I'm working on 2 right now, as soon as they're done (or more if I decide to do more), then I'll post them all at once.

AntiHeiss said:
Working on some good models....and I can keep it 3 colors. However, My question is if differences of greyscale matter. As greyscale is actullay considered in the 244 range. However the 'color' of greyscale never changes. Variations could be considered colors.

I am taking this contest very seriously, it is a great opportunity for us all. I also pride myself in my graphic design and being able to cope with size constraints...

These are VERY rough drafts, however, I like their turnout thus far. Both use 15 colors, all but 2 I believe are on greyscale. 0% dither with no difference...saved in .jpg format for your viewing pleasure. Fear not for image size, as the black image is 6k and the white is 4k. Because I was shooting for lowest size at best quality possible, I can provide much higher quality logos upon request.
I wanted to keep the lightning, but show our advancement along as we have grown since the last logo. I wanted to keep some of the general feel, but give it a newer look.
Anyway, both of these logos are subject to change and I am sure I will be submitting more logos. Also, keep in mind that these logos are changeable in every single aspect of that word. I also have transparent backgrounds, different effects, add/remove/move lightnings, change font, etc. So questions/comments are most welcome, encouraged in fact. So help me, help you. :D

Hope you like my first two ideas to spit out....

oclogo2.1.jpg

oclogowhite2.1.jpg

These are detailed logos. If we are doing simple logos...let me know. :)

those look great! if we have a light colored theme and a dark colored them those would be good to have two different ones! (that may have been said in here before but i admit, i havent exactly read EVERYTHING yet.)

id love to enter this contest but unfortunatly, my photoshop skills are so bad, i can produce better work with mspaint :(

i may be able come up with a "short slogan" like greg said.

believe me, i am sure somebody will have a more than suitable design for us here ;) i love the ideas so far. i definitely subscribed to this thread ;)

Back