• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC3d powering up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
135 GHz ! That should be about 5-600 points per day no ?

Impressive scoring nevertheless :cool:

Regards

Andy

Congrats to all of you on reaching 20K milestone. Notice a big spike last nite? that is caused by gromacs core in Linux and 4 more cpus from who I don't know hehe :D

Fold on .....

zakelwe said:
135 GHz ! That should be about 5-600 points per day no ?

Impressive scoring nevertheless :cool:

Regards

Andy

I'm guessing more like 200-450/day. A lot of the rigs are part-timers and we have a diverse mix of CPU's. On weekends, production spikes b/c many part-time rigs work the whole weekend. Then there's the problem of Stanford only showing 75 out of our 115. I can account for maybe 20 of those missing... k6-2's, p2-s, and some part-timers that take more than 1 week but still meet the deadline on big WU's like P182's... some problems with a dozen durons in NaSsoccer's farm... gtsimmo's 4 downed AMD rigs.

Hence the call to all OC3d'ers to keep me up to date on the status of their farms.

An OC3d web page is in progress although I hardly know what I'm doing. Will keep everyone posted about it. If anyone wants to make graphics for a little page that'd be great. Like a banner 500x100 pixels for starters. (Note to self: And I could put all our avatars on the page next to our farm stats list).

Last edited:
Gromacs

Check out the threads going about Gromacs guys. I'm starting to test some of my rigs out using the -advmethods flag, which forces the use of a server that only gives out Gromacs WU's. I've started a thread to compare Points/Week of the gromacs WU's with the most efficient current Tinker WU's. The following CPU's are likely to benefit using Gromacs although you may have to turn your overclock down just a tiny bit:

Athlon XP
Duron 1 GHz & above (morgan core)
Pentium 4
Pentium 3
Celeron 566 mhz & above (coppermine core)

Note, that this is just comparing P903 and P180/182. There are 166 villins, P183's, and who knows what other little Tinker WU's floating around right now, and they are NOT as efficient as P180/182's. So by forcing Gromacs, you can avoid these less efficient proteins on some of your rigs. Please do some of your own testing if you want. I found a P3 933 got about 17% more points in a week folding P903's as opposed to P180/182's. Gnerma determined that his P4 got an even bigger boost because of the RDram memory bandwidth, about 63% in weekly points!

Ask me anything, and I'll help you set it up. Using core78 really is faster on most CPU's with SSE, definitely on Intels. It's incredibly easy to switch over to core78 and it'll boost your production by hundreds or even thousands of points over the course of a year, per CPU!!!

There also seems to be exceptions with the Linux client. overdoze tells me that Tbirds ARE faster with gromacs using the Linux client than they are with the Tinker core, even though they don't have SSE instructions.

Edit: Even more to know...

Actually, if you're 100% sure the rigs are stable, you may also want to use the flag - forceasm. So it would be "path to the console" -advmethods -forceasm

with a space before each hyphen... The console will disable SSE/3dNow! optimizations following an abnormal shutdown. Since these are what makes the Gromacs core fast, you'll want to have the console force them to come on any time its restarted in case they have been disabled. Now its important to understand that Stanford set the console up to disable these optimizations if it thought there was a problem with stability, since Gromacs is new and still being tested. However, it also turns them off following an improper shutdown, power failure, etc. Once the WU finishes it turns them back on on its own. If you're absolutely sure its stable, use this extra flag to avoid the problem.

I just noticed this on the P3 933 I tested today. I task schedule the client so my friend does't have to be bothered by it (out of sight, out of mind). So I shut it down by killing it in the task manager in order to play a game earlier (didn't want to risk corrupting the Gromacs WU while playing UT2k3). This caused SSE to be disabled when I turned it on again later. The frame time went from 18 minutes/frame with SSE to 40 minutes/frame without SSE!!

So now I added the -forceasm flag to my scheduled task. I know this rig is stable because its not overclocked and rarely ever has an error. It was just the way I'd shutdown. So Gromacs is still touchy and bears watching if you're overclocked fairly heavily and don't use the flag for the sake of Stanford's data's integrity. But you may want the extra flag for insurance against improper shutdowns if you know its stable.

Last edited:
Here is my Farm update Arkaine.
1 Athlon 800
1 Athlon xp 1700 @ 1.4
1 Duron 1.2
1 1600 @ 1.853
4 P2s @ 600 - 2.4

8 procs @ 7.653 Gigs

How is the webpage/site coming....I can help a little although it has been a while sense I was doing pages.

Last edited:
The page is coming along nicely. I'll zip it and post it. Its the first I've ever done, and I have to say I copied the source from somewhere else and have merely been altering the content. What I need now are graphics. One about avatar sized for a hyperlink to Team 32's page, and a banner for the top of the page 500 long by 100 tall, also a background. So I'm looking around. It may take a few more days to finish at the rate I'm going, and I'll definitely need some helpers to look it over and find kinks in the code.

PS. Thanks for the update! I've gotta dig up the old OC3d thread and find out what your farm used to be so I can make the appropriate changes. I need to get a handle on everyone's farm, rather than just their total Mhz, as the page will display farms not just Mhz.

PPS. Its hard to work on the OC3d page, OC3dmark updates, learn Linux, try to get 3 LANs connected by VNC, and unlock one of overdoze's XP's- all at once!! I don't recommend it. At least I'm not bored. :)

I know how you are feeling. I have been working on a cs game server, building rigs, learning java, among the family stuff(wife and two girls 6 and 1). It is all just a blur sometimes.

What you need to delete from the main list is 4 p2 600s. That is all I have deleted.

What kind of graphic you want on the ava sized pic?

graphics

I was thinking of resizing a protein pic that pic gtsimmo snapped a long time ago from out of the grapical client, or maybe making a gif out of several of them. But I also need to add "Team 32 Overclockers.com" to them. I may just ask Antiheiss for one of his folding avatars, labeled for the team 32 website. In fact, that's probably the best option. /me fires PM request to Antiheiss.

Last edited:
Update on my cpu
picked up a AGOIA Y 1600+ and now running at 1.82ghz
and currently trying to get a Celeron 600, and a dual P3 550 up and folding but just the XP for now

i'll hopefully be adding a 2ghz P4 very soon and of course it will be running gro:) i'll let you know when and if i am able to score that rig, hopefully within the next two weeks

FOLD ON
NAS

Sorry, I left most of them on my work rig....I will get them to you Monday. I will look around or make something up for ya then.

Heres my update:

XP @ 1835MHz
XP @ 1920MHz
XP @ 1600MHz
XP @ 1533MHz
XP @ 1466MHz
Duron @ 1000MHz
Duron @ 800MHz
Althon @ 700MHz

Total: 10854MHz of godly pure AMD power:D

rigs

Please let me know which are part-timers.

I'm sorting out all the math right now and will be putting all our farms into the page today. Now I need graphics, and I need to figure out a) how to host this myself or b) where to get it hosted for free/cheap.

XP @ 1835MHz FT
XP @ 1920MHz PT
XP @ 1600MHz PT
XP @ 1533MHz PT
XP @ 1466MHz PT
Duron @ 1000MHz PT
Duron @ 800MHz FT
Althon @ 700MHz FT

Building a new rig now, so my 1920 may fall into FT action soon, I will keep you guys updated:D

talking about power of team work. We break the record again and again. Very good job all team members. We are already at 21K beleive it or not we are less than 500 points from the dutchies.

Cheers to team OC3d. Fold on and I know we will pass them soon and keep up the good work.

w00r!!! GTSimmo is back! :) I finally got my DSL back after 5 weeks but Im back folding again for OC3d, now second in world production! Man I missed out on alot. I was nearly on the brink of insanity for awhile.

Current Power
Athlon XP 1.75 Ghz
Duron 1.2 Ghz
Pent 3 500MHZ

Future hopeful: a friend's Pent 3 600mh

He's back!

Welcome back, Woo! We sure did miss ya!
You picked a good day, too. We've got the Dutchies by the next update!

welcome back gtsimmo. I'm a new member of OC3d .... I'm glad you are back so I can relax a little :)

Arkaine23, Yup can't wait to see the next update. Things surely look good. Don't know why the dutchies cpu count went from 58 to 39 which makes us pass them quicker as well. I hope they will be back in full power soon. I just recruited a few more cpus for OC3d so I can go back fold for myself starting tonite. :)

Back