• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCing A10-5800k noob

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Betilly

Registered
I finally got all my components

MOBO: Asrock FM2A85X Extreme6 P 1.70
CPU&Cooler : A10-5800K with CM Hyper 212 Evo
RAM: G.Skill 8GB KIT PC3-19200 DDR3-2400 CL10 TridentX 2x4GB
HD: WD Caviar Blue 250GB 7200 16MB
PSU: XFX Core Edition PRO 550W 80+ Bronze ATX 2.3

Now i dont know where to start with my OCing. I just OC my RAM in bios to 2400MHZ with original timings , but i dont know if it works on this frequency. What about my CPU temps, they look high in HW monitor, soo i use Asrock Extreme Tuner where temps looks fine i think?
I run prime95 In-place large FFT for 2 hours with no errors, that means the system is stabile? Whats next move for OCing my CPU and APU? I just wanna squeeze best of my system. I will post photos cpu-z and temps when im back from work.

Tnx for any kind of help

I finally have time to upload cpuz pics and some temepratures. If you need any more info, just say.

Attachments

• attachment.jpeg
    attachment.jpeg
    45.9 KB · Views: 874
  • attachment-1.jpeg
    attachment-1.jpeg
    38.7 KB · Views: 870
  • attachment-2.jpeg
    attachment-2.jpeg
    266.4 KB · Views: 910
You will also need something reliable to monitor your temps. HWMonitor isn't compatible with the new chips yet. From this post http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725006
You'll see the only program he found that worked was AIDA64 which has a 30 day trial period.
I see the OEM tuning utility was working but they can cause stability issues when OC"ing. It's also preferable to have something that will give you the socket temps and core temps seperately.

The last three days i was playing with bios settings. Now im useing 1.5 Bios, all settings in bios are set "auto"and "enable", i only set manually xmp1.3 profile 12-12-12-31 DDR2400 for OCing my rams and GFX Engine clock on 1169 and GFX Engine Voltage on 1,449. With RAM settings on stock 1.65V, my windows were boot but after 10 mins i got BSOD, soo i raise DRAM Voltage to 1.7V and my windows are stable for all day. I run prime95 for 30mins Small FFTs with no errors and blend in test 10 my 4th worker stop(rounding was 0.5, expected less then 0.4 )
I only benchmark with 3DMark 11 on performance settings (1280x720).
I just cant overclock my CPU, every time i try, my desktop start flashing, and get unstable.
I try playing new Hitman, all going ok on meduim settings but like in 5 mins i got BSOD.

Now i dont know where my computer fails (RAM,CPU or APU) and what can i do with my bios setting soo i can finally OC my CPU and play games like hitman normally.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    318.8 KB · Views: 849
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    321.8 KB · Views: 855
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 857
Do you have a screen shot of the spd tab from CPUz It sounds like your ram is giving you trouble. I sould slow it down first.

When running rams on 2133 i can play and system is stable. Ill try now with Cpu frequency and report. Whats max voltage for my rams, maybe more voltage will stable overclock. I was reading that this rams works on 2400 Mhz stable soo....And whats the point of increasing nb frequency?

Check the spd tab in CPUz it'll tell you the timings and volts for different speeds. You said you were at 1.7 which seems high alreay

Thats spd when ddr3 2400 set in bios. What about to try set ddr3 2133 and lower timings.

Attachments

• spd tab.jpg
    spd tab.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 856
I've done some reading about this chip AMD rates the memory @ 1866 no guarentee anythig higher will work. Most of what I've read people were unable to get it to work with 2400 in dual channel mode. Most were able to get 2133 to work so in short yes try the 2133 setting and see if that will help.
Also read that higher memory speeds gave better performance than OC'ing the IGP. Either way we need to get you stable first.
Make sure you have the turbo function disabled as well as the cool& quiet. Set everything else back to stock so we can get the ram nailed down then run p95 blend test which put more stress on the ram. The FFT tests don't use alot of ram. Once you have it stable it should just be a matter of raising the multi and volts.

I run p95 blend for 1 hour on 2133Mhz and auto timings in bios, with no errors, it seem to be stable. thats my temps and voltages form cpu-z and aida64, but CPU temp is 54°C after one hour of stress?

Attachments

• 2133 p95.jpg
    2133 p95.jpg
    377.5 KB · Views: 814
  • cpuz-ram-spd.jpg
    cpuz-ram-spd.jpg
    406.2 KB · Views: 818
Your ok temp. wise still. Usually 60 core and 70 cpu is the highest you would like them to go. The APU might have a different threshold. but I do know they are hot chips to begin with.
If that was the blend test you did you should be OK to start bumping the multi up. see how high you can get it .5x at a time on stock voltage until it fails prime. Then bump up the volts a little bit till it passes, Rinse and repeat. Keep an eye on your temps. Your temperature will be your limiting factor. Take your time and have some patience. Most of all have some fun if you get frustrated take a break and ask some questions. :comp:

And in the future could you use the snipping tool you have in the taskbar. snipping the small window around the program makes it much easier to read. :ty:

Just getting into the OC game and have a similar set up with an AMD A10-5800K on an ASUS F2-A85M board and Kingston HyperX Red Ram (1600). I'll post a few snipes of my settings shortly. Interested to learn how to OC my system to improve performance.

FKD's A10 System

@Fortkentdad welcome to the forum.
Just one questio iare you using the stock cpu cooler?

I'm using a CoolMaster Hyper 212 plus to cool the CPU, and I've installed a second fan onto that unit for 'push-pull' air flow.

576846_10151206238896051_1932642152_n.jpg

I've two upgraded fan's in the case to Scythe "slip stream" fans (12,000 rpm)

I'm using ASUS's AI Suite's fan control system (even though the case fans did come with control knobs which I've set on high). I've set the fan controls to come on at higher RPM's than the default settings. AI Suite does not control the GPU fans (or at least I don't know how). I see that they can be controlled manually in AMD's Vision Control Centre but I have not enabled manual control (which I assumes means they are running on their own default).

My RAM is Kingston's HyperX Red RAM - DDR3-1600, I installed 32GB on 4 sticks.

fortkentdad-albums-fkd-s-a10-rig-oct-2012-picture1239-130122-cpuz-memory-snipe.jpg

Initially I thought I'd just use the iGPU on the A10 for graphics, but reading about the benefits of AMD's "dual graphics" capacity in this A-Series decided to buy a HD-6670 which I did.

Then I decided that I "needed" three screens.

fortkentdad-albums-fkd-s-a10-rig-oct-2012-picture1099-my-a10-rig-set-up-three-monitors-2012-11-07.jpg

But then found out that the ASUS HD-6670 I had bought did not have a displayport, that was on a new model of the ASUS HD-6670 (the EAH-6670), so I bought that one, but it was too late to trade in my first HD 6670 so now I have two HD 6670's which I've set up in Xfire using AMD's Vision Engine Control Centre (VECC) to manage the Xfire set up and three screen array is managed by the EyeFinity controls in AMD VECC.

fortkentdad-albums-fkd-s-a10-rig-oct-2012-picture1237-130124-gpushark-simplied.jpg

I've been playing around in ASUS's BIOS setting to apply some modest OCing to this rig, but alas I'm afraid I've tweaked it a bit too much and lately I've been having stability issues and failures to boot properly. Today's problem is that every time I make an adjustment to Xfire in AMD VECC my system shuts down. Oh bother. :-/

A word on my OS situation; I found out that my original OS (Win7 Home Premium) had a 16GB RAM ceiling, this after I'd bought 32GB of RAM. The option was to upgrade to PRO, but when I found out the price to upgrade to Win7 Pro I decided to go Win8 Pro as that upgrade was only $69.00. I bought a Win8 Pro upgrade package from the store the first day they were available. THEN I found that many of my games had issues with Win8, and eventually decided to set up my rig with a dual boot option for Win7 or Win8.

DRIVES:
I have Win7 and Win8 OS's on separate SSD drives and one new 2T hard drive for data and programs, plus an older 750 GB hard drive for data backup, and another 750 external drive connected by e-sata,

fortkentdad-albums-fkd-s-a10-rig-oct-2012-picture1100-a10-rig-done-2012-11-07-2411-twovideocards-edited-1.jpg

Router: ASUS RT-N56U
I'm in rural Alberta and connect to the internet via a microwave tower connection (sometimes mistakenly called satellite connection because the "dish" on the roof resembles a TV satellite dish, or at least they used to, now it looks like a square pad no longer a dish shaped reciever. I have a small 250GB USB drive connected to my ASUS Router and it is supposed to be able to be available via an FTP connection built into my RT-N56U router but I have not been able to get that to work properly, another issue to be resolved another day.

Anything else you want to know about my rig? It is my first build.

I know you said "just one question" and I've provided more than just one answer but figured I might as well lay it all out.

I have learned a lot and would have done things differently if I knew then what I know now.

Strange happening, ... I was trying to go back to "default" and clicked on disable Xfire in AMD's Vision Engine Control Center (Catalyst) and the system crashes. Took a while to get it back up and when I did and went back to AMD's VECC I noticed that I no longer had a choice for Xfire (previously I could chose to Xfire my two 6670's or Xfire (dual graphic) one 6670 and the APU's iGPU. That option is gone. Now I can either enable Xfire or not. When enabled it Xfires both 6670's. If you look above at the last entry for you will see that GPU-Shark found three GPU and reported on all three, now it only sees two:

fortkentdad-albums-fkd-s-a10-rig-oct-2012-picture1240-130124-gpushark-simplied-just-two.jpg

Any idea what I've done? Unintentionally of course.

Well I reloaded one of the saved OC-profiles I had saved in the ASUS BIOS settings, a modest OC with 43x multiplier. Whatever I had done, this undid and again my system sees the three GPU (2 dGPU's & 1 iGPU) and I can choose to Xfire my APU and one GPU or just use the two GPU's. There had to be something different but I'm not sure what it was, but the choice is back and GPU-Shark and others see all three. A mystery I can live with for the moment.

What advice can anyone give this novice at OCing about adjusting the settings in ASUS's TurboV EVO (Ai Suite). Adjusting the APU Boost is easy, choose turbo or extreme, and the APU Multiplier is just a matter of trying one then another. I've found that 43x is pretty stable, and even 44 works most of the time, 45+ is problematic. Or so I've found. But I've been hesitant to adjust the APU Frequency or any of the voltage settings. What are considered safe adjustments?

fortkentdad-albums-fkd-s-a10-rig-oct-2012-picture1241-130124-asus-ai-suite-44x.jpg

First thing you should do is test for stability before you start OC'ing. Download HWmonitor to watch your temps. CPUz so we can verify ram timings and prime95 for stability testing. Use the spd tab in CPUz to get your ram timing and set those manually in the BIOS. Back the multi down to 42 and then run P95 to see if everything is stable. Open HWmonitor while running prime to monitor temps and put up some snips so we can have a look.

Back