• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ocíng and phenom ii x4 955

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zipperdb

Registered
Hi,

This is the second time im gonna oc and cpu this time and phenom ii x4 955 BE.
But a have 1 question on the black edtion.
What is beter to do raise the cpu frequency or raise the multiplier?

With the BE it's sometimes better to up the multiplier. When you raise the FSB, you also raise the memory freq, the NBCPU freq. and HT Link freq. If you raise the FSB, you will have to lower memory freq, the NBCPU freq. and HT Link freq. so that they aren't overclocked and end up around stock. For me it was easier to just raise the multiplier and up the CPUNB freq to 2400 @ 1.25v. I had to up the vcore for OC stability. Some people feel you can get a little better OC by raising the FSB as this allows for a little lower vcore and possibly a little higher OC with a slight better stability. It depends if you want 100 to 200 MHZ more.

Overclocking with the multiplier alone is much more simple but there is some anecdotal evidence that using a combination of both may allow you to get by with less vcore at a given level of overclock.

I was able to get mine stable with a 4.2 on water with a 20.5 multi and 205 fsb, with a 21 multi and 200 fsb I was having a tough time getting stable.

it would be lot easier to OC with multiplier, just raise multiplier, check stability and add voltage when needed, then fine tune your OC with NB frequency and voltage.

if you use FSB then you are Oclocking almost evey parameters of your system, RAM, NB etc whuich needs to get adjusted to keep within the range.

Unlocked multiplier = Black edition. use it.

trents is right, the combo method works best.
I run my 955 at 4.1 just on the multi, above that i use the combo method.

thanks for all the respones.
Im gonna try a combo of it both.
I got it now on multi x19 and fbs of 200 runing at 3.8ghz

Give it a go using a little FSB and a 0.5 multiplier drop when you get close you max speed. It might be a good thing for sure.

I see you are showing a yellow star under your forum name now. So it is surely time.

My how to put up Sig at OCF.

New Shortcut method for putting a Signature with your system information following your every post so people can know what is in the case that they are trying to assist with. You can use something like what is shown in my signature as a good template of needed information Thank you.

The best part of a BE proc is multiplier OCing... I put minimal effort in, and I am OC'd to 3.8 rock solid stable on a terrible mobo. The mobo is ok, but lacks fine LLC tuning, but for less than 100 bones I'm not complaining.

So i found out that with multiplie x19 and fsb 205 it starts to give blue screens
So now i put it to x18 and 205 its running stable for like 15min so for now on i keep raising my fsb.
Or if some1 knows what the bottleneck is for the x19 fsb 205 i hope to hear from it

I made it to x18.5 and fsb of 210 @3.9ghz but then i need to add 0.250 to the vcore or else i get blue screens.
But i wanted not to raise the vcore then much because its gaining more heat then.
So does some1 know what it is that give my blue screens when i dont raise the vcore

It's time for you to start using the built in forum attachment tool so you can post actual screenshots of CPU-z tabs: "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD" so we can see what your frequencies and voltages are like. And also a pic of HWMonitor after you run a 20 minute Prime95 blend test (with HWMonitor having been open while you run the test) so we can check temps and voltages under load. Adding .025 CPU core voltage ("vcore" as we call it) is not excessive by any means as long as your core temps are not exceeding the 5-57c range.

When you overclock with the FSB there are other frequencies that are tuned to the FSB and rise with it in concert (HT Link, ram and CPUNB). Any of these can become the source of instability and may need to be adjusted. Those CPU-z pics I asked for above will show us that.

To do an attachment with the built in forum tool, first frame, crop and save the image to disk with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories. Then click on the Go Advanced button found at the bottom of every new post window. When the Advanced post window appears, go to the top and click on the little paperclip tool which will open the file browser/up load tool and the rest will be obvious.

please do as trents asks, it will help us all help you.
also sounds like an increase in cpu voltage is in order, 3.8-4.0 should take a fair jump in voltage but, we do need to see your temps and voltage before we do that.

Well this is it were you asked for.
It at x18.5 with fsb of 205 with no vcore increase
cpu 185 205.jpg
mem 185 205.jpg
spd 185 205.jpg
temp 185 205.jpg

Is the setting as above stable for at least 2 hours of prime 95 in blend mode, with the exact settings shown in your captures.

GOOD capturing and attaching by the way. Pretty and readable.

Yes ist running stable for 2 hours.
Even battlefield 3 was no problem.

90c on the auxtin?
anyone know where the auxtin temp sensor is on this asrock board, this is my only concern at this point.

let me also ask my allways ask question.

do you have a fan blowing directly into the area of the vrm/mosfets?
these things are right around the h60 waterblock and get VERY, VERY HOT when you take the air out of this area by installing a water block.

Back