• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC'ing Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

t1nm4n

I know I should know this by now, but I really want you all to hold my hand through this process :D

Ok got that out of the way, replaced the bottlenecking fool of a 4350 with a 8320 and started the process of OC'ing it. I have some technical questions that never came up with the 4350 (or I wasn't knowledgeable enough to ask yet). I think I did the smart thing, ran it overnight for a light burn in and then started to up the Multi by .5 until I got to 4.2Ghz, on stock v of 1.264. I was just checking that it would boot and open HWMon and CPUID, nothing drastic, from 4Ghz on I ran a simple Cinebench to put the cores under a slight short duration load until it failed, but I got scurd at 4.2 stock cause the Vdropp was pretty high I think.

This is idle just to verify V settings.

Idle 8320 4.2 stock v.jpg

This is the Droop from running CineBench. This was the droop I saw that had me concerned so I ran blend (failed miserably) and small fft's (failed miserably)

loaded 8320 4.2 stock v.jpg

I dropped the multi from 21.0 to 20.0 and upped the voltage two ticks, less than 1.3 I'm sure ( I know I should of written it down). Now I have 30min of Prime blend but the droop still looks the same at 4.0Ghz. I Don't which setting to adjust in DIGI power control to adjust for the correct LLC, I dislike %'s when it comes to unknown variables. It's options are 0%, 25%, 50%, 75% and 100% not sure what those %'s means in terms of how it will stabilize the voltage to the CPU or increase voltage based on some sort of algorithm. I have it set to auto and this is what it looks like under load @4.0Ghz

droop 4.0Ghz.jpg

Appreciate the help and I hope I'm on track to a stable OC. Nothing too big, but wow is this so much better than that 4350 I had in here :clap:

Edit: how do I change the title, it's too vague. Sorry bout that.

Last edited:
Ok, I think I answered my own question, I hate using this place as a sounding board. Ok so if I manually set voltage to 1.23750 (the setting it is right now) and it droops to 1.188 that's roughly 5% droop, if I set the DIGI to say 50% it would limit droop to only 2.5% from what I have it manually entered as. So it should only droop to 1.217-ish? I hate just diving in head first in things without having the information, but I haven't been able to find where the numbers were calculated out for me to understand. Like I said I need some hand holdin :rofl::chair:

Edit: Google is a wonderful thing. Found another user on this forum you all helped out and you led him to this ROG guide. B̶u̶t̶ ̶I̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶k̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶w̶r̶o̶n̶g̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶g̶u̶i̶d̶e̶,̶ ̶s̶e̶t̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶v̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶1̶.̶5̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶L̶L̶C̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶1̶0̶0̶%̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶o̶w̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶g̶o̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶1̶.̶5̶v̶ ̶i̶s̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶g̶e̶n̶e̶r̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶a̶ ̶b̶a̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶a̶i̶r̶/̶A̶i̶O̶ coolers.

Edit: mistake, Ultra is 75% which appears to allows droop on idle but allows the voltage to increase to the manual set voltage when under load, this is the setting I was looking for. :thup:

Last edited:
You were on the right track at first, just take it slow, the CPUs have changed slightly since that guide was published and the newer ones tend to take less voltage. If you're using the CHVz then set the LLC for the CPU to ultra and you'l have no droop at all. The two temps to keep an eye on are the CPU which is the socket (70c ) and the package (62c) which is the cores. Depending on how high you go you may need extra cooling for the VRM and the back of the mobo over the CPU socket.

SO with the settings all set, I think I have a good candidate for and setting for a low 24/7 OC on this chip, so far after 20min or so it's looking good. What do you all think?

247maybe10min.jpg

A bit higher would be nice, but I think this isn't bad for roughly stock voltages so far, just got to let prime run for awhile and test with other programs, I like throwin a bunch of stuff at it to see if it trips up for 24/7 use. Is that line of thinking wrong, or am I just too anal about it, lol )probably the latter).

- - - Updated - - -

You were on the right track at first, just take it slow, the CPUs have changed slightly since that guide was published and the newer ones tend to take less voltage. If you're using the CHV-z then set the LLC for the CPU to ultra and you'll have no droop at all. The two temps to keep an eye on are the CPU which is the socket (70c ) and the package (62c) which is the cores. Depending on how high you go you may need extra cooling for the VRM and the back of the mobo over the CPU socket.

I've already cut the hole in the back door for the Mobo fan, and have one on the VRM, I stopped using HWInfo so I'm not sure what program to use to keep an eye on VRM temps, HWMon doesn't seem to show those. I have never messed with DIGI Control so I wasn't aware that was the LLC I was supposed to be on the look out, and it just shows %'s. Your absolutely correct on Ultra is the setting I wanted, it just droops for unloaded usage and peaks at the set voltage for loads, I like this setting. It should of just said that out right in the manual and I wouldn't of had a problem, lol.

FYI, you all weren't kidding when you said these 8 Core FX take a lot of power, with 2x 290Xs sitting idle and this running prime, surfing the thing is drawing 320-330w-ish, I don't think I toped 220-240w with the 4350 locked @4.4 crunching numbers. And wow is it so much nicer at stock clocks for gameplay, I should of just got this when I assembled the PC. If only our mistakes didn't cost us, but if learning were free wouldn't be any incentive to not making mistakes.

You have lot's of head room for higher clocks t1nm4n, these are pretty tough CPUs and can handle the volts. There's another guide in my sig if you want more info.

Is that max package temp at idle or under load? Your vcore is still quite low. Don't worry about that even when you get into the mid 1.3's range as long as package and CPU temps are under control. Keep your CPU (i.e, socket area) under about 70c and your package temp under about 65c. You'll run out of temp room before your voltage gets dangerous with that cooler. If those temps in the pic are load temps then you have some room to grow that overclock.

What we need to see are max CPU and package temps under load like Prime95 blend test.

You have lot's of head room for higher clocks t1nm4n, these are pretty tough CPUs and can handle the volts. There's another guide in my sig if you want more info.

I'll definatly be reading your guide, I was tryin to go about it in a slow methodical way. I got to cap at this voltage and multiplier, I had a failed thread in blend after 30min, so I guess up one tick on voltage, but I'm testing small fft's right now to see if that was a memory failure on that single core. here's where I might be needing a lot of help, never really got to in depth with how to go about tuning memory with your OC, but that will be later. I am doing this test cause I read to alleviate some memory issues with blend it's advisable to set DRAM v to 1.55 but I have mine set at 1.5, just don't want to let everything cool down much. Since I have everything opened and loaded I figured I would run this and see how it goes. if I can get a couple of hours on small fft's then the core that failed might be due to DRAM v or that's my thinking.

Just tryin to find that nice equilibrium of voltage and multiplier where the heat isn't too much for this AiO cooler with the varying temps I have in the room my PC sits. Right now I'm thinking this might be a pretty decent chip, I didn't think I would make it past 4.0 on stock voltages for some reason.

- - - Updated - - -

Is that max package temp at idle or under load? Your vcore is still quite low. Don't worry about that even when you get into the mid 1.3's range as long as package and CPU temps are under control. Keep your CPU (i.e, socket area) under about 70c and your package temp under about 65c. You'll run out of temp room before your voltage gets dangerous with that cooler. If those temps in the pic are load temps then you have some room to grow that overclock.

What we need to see are max CPU and package temps under load like Prime95 blend test.

From that last pic it under load of blend. This is under same settings 20min of small fft's

20min small fft 4.2 stock v.jpg

If your memory is set to 2133 with 4x4 gig I would suggest upping the CPU_NB voltage ( 1.25-1.3 or more if necessary) and setting the LLC for it to high. The IMC on these chips can be weak at imeas and 16 gig is a pretty good load for it.

That makes sense. Yeah, after I uploaded that pic, I realized I didn't have the right tabs opened :-/ muh bad. What's that VIN 4? that one has me confused, I don't recall anything in the setting that low.

35min small fft 4.2 stock v.jpg

verification I'm not a complete idiot :p I do get some information passed along correctly, just sometimes though I do have brain farts. :shrug: :bang head

Edit: got 40min or so of small fft's and decent enough temps for this cooler, will bump the CPU-NB and set LLC to high? does that have the same affect as Ultra does on the CPU LLC? it has less option and doesn't give a description of what these options do, darn manuals are so vague.

You could shut down 2 cores to save heat. Or even shut down 4 but then.... you have a 4320 lol

I'd OC a few hundred Mhz more. maybe 4.4Ghz. check temps, then work on the NB and RAM timings :thup:

Not gonna knock any cores out, I'd like to have found a sub 1.35v 4.5Ghz under 55c running CPU, on this AiO cooler. I'm not askin too much am I? :confused: :shrug:

Not gonna knock any cores out, I'd like to have found a sub 1.35v 4.5Ghz under 55c running CPU, on this AiO cooler. I'm not askin too much am I? :confused: :shrug:

BAH!!! to shutting down cores!!!!!

t1nm4m your temps look great, glad you put a fan on the VRM and board I like seeing only a 8c differential between the package and cores. As far as what Johan mentioned with the Cpu Nb voltage and running 4x4 2133 ram. You likely will need to raise the Cpu Nb V, my chip in particular needs 1.3875 Cpu Nb voltage to run @ 1866 Mhz with the Nb Freq at 2600 Mhz. You are going about it the correct way, raise the multi or Fsb and test. Add voltage accordingly and watch temps. :thup: I will also add, take notes of your changes, the more detailed the better. You will learn what the chip likes and doesn't, this way.

Aww! shutting down cores isn't that bad!

Just know that higher CPU/NB volts = more heat ;)

BAH!!! to shutting down cores!!!!! If you had wanted to shut-down cores you could have kept your FX-4350. ALL cores ahead unless you are running for a world record. Then maybe.

t1nm4m your temps look great, glad you put a fan on the VRM and board I like seeing only a 8c differential between the package and cores. Looks like you have enough leeway temps and Vcore to reach 4.5GHz at 55c or so Maybe. These things very often take a jump in heat and voltage every 200MHz or so.

As far as what Johan mentioned with the Cpu Nb voltage and running 4x4 2133 ram. You likely will need to raise the Cpu Nb V, my chip in particular needs 1.3875 Cpu Nb voltage to run @ 1866 Mhz with the Nb Freq at 2600 Mhz. Just from habit I go in and raise CPU_NB to 1.25V since I know I am going up with the CPU_NB speed and ram speed to more closely match increased CPU Speed.

You are going about it the correct way, raise the multi or Fsb and test. Add voltage accordingly and watch temps. :thup: I will also add, take notes of your changes, the more detailed the better. You will learn what the chip likes and doesn't, this way. I have learned over the years that notes are in and pictures are a big help to keep me on track as I move up in speed and 'can' lose my way.

BAH!!! to shutting down cores!!!!!

t1nm4m your temps look great, glad you put a fan on the VRM and board I like seeing only a 8c differential between the package and cores. As far as what Johan mentioned with the Cpu Nb voltage and running 4x4 2133 ram. You likely will need to raise the Cpu Nb V, my chip in particular needs 1.3875 Cpu Nb voltage to run @ 1866 Mhz with the Nb Freq at 2600 Mhz. You are going about it the correct way, raise the multi or Fsb and test. Add voltage accordingly and watch temps. :thup: I will also add, take notes of your changes, the more detailed the better. You will learn what the chip likes and doesn't, this way.
and @ RGone

Yeah I had to move the CPU-NB up, I didn't want to jump it so much though from stock, I bumped it to the 1.23750v I had and it didn't work, so I bumped CPU-v to 1.2480 and the same with the CPU-NB, I got a pretty stabble running at 4.2, will go up one multi when this run finishes in the next hour for my 2 hour test.

After the #1 Core dropped after 30min I wasn't able to get any other core to last more than 5min so I think I might of hit the sweet spot for this speed, but it won't last long, temps look good, although the A/C froze up and was blowin luke cool air, just after I started this run, so it got a couple c higher than it would normally with the temps we keep the house. That's why you see the higher temps and current is a few deg lower.

4.2 at 1.248 hour.jpg

I'm startin to think I have a good candidate for a good solid 24/7 cool runnin OC'er at 4.5, might go higher, who knows. :shrug:

I'm startin to think I have a good candidate for a good solid 24/7 cool runnin OC'er at 4.5, might go higher, who knows. :shrug:
Only time and playing with it will tell. A lot of these newer Fx 8xxx chips will run at X Mhz at less voltage then the earlier models. Mine needs 1.45 Cpu V and the aforementioned Cpu Nb voltage to run stable at 4.5 Ghz, note that I'm also on big water. I have a 60mm wide 3x120 mm radiator cooling only the Cpu with 6 fans in push pull.

I wish you weren't right, only time and tinkering. I know each CPU can be finicky at different volts temps speeds and what-not, but the that post above, v was @1.2500 for CPU and CPU_NB. I couldn't get anything stable at 4.3 cept this so far. Just seems like a big jump from where I was. I might just be whining also, jury's still out.

1.28125.jpg

This CPU is new to me, and it's a whole another breed than the 4350, hotter more power more CPU_NB v and less CPUv. I don't want to go by other people examples cause each chip is different, and I haven't been doing this long enough to get a feel for how an OC is going, so I rely on you guys to let me know it's gtg or just another fud. I think it's good so far, should be really good when I get my system under water, got most of the parts, and already started to mock fit everything, so just waitin on a few key things and it will be too much rad space and not enough heat generated type system, lol. Go Big or GO HOME!!!

should be really good when I get my system under water, got most of the parts, and already started to mock fit everything, so just waitin on a few key things and it will be too much rad space and not enough heat generated type system, lol. Go Big or GO HOME!!!

What do you mean get it under water? I thought you were using this now for cooling > H100i 4 NF-F12 push-pull config?

RGone...

What do you mean get it under water? I thought you were using this now for cooling > H100i 4 NF-F12 push-pull config?

RGone...

Full custom water cooling. I like the lil h100i, actually not bad and keeps this pretty cool, but those GPUs add so much heat when gaming that it heats the entire system up and increases CPU temps pretty bad. I know I have plenty of airflow. On a nice side note, I think I have another winner with 4.3 @ 1.28125v CPU & CPU_NB. Temps are starting to drop more and it's not getting cooler in the house. I had been using Artic Silver 5 for my TIM applications, but Couldn't find it under the mess of junk/crap on my desk so I opened up this nice shiny package of Prolima Tech PK-3, it seems there is a burn in process for this stuff I was unaware of. But I digress, here's the money shot:

4.3 at 1.28125 for 2hours.jpg

This CPU is a keeper that's for sure, I might just make it to 4.4 under 1.3v :rofl: wait, is that good :shrug: either way temps are getting better so I'm happy with that. and this thing is so much more powerful than that 4350, wow how did I manage to go so long with that POS on this board, I'm starting to think the board made up the lies about the GPU going on the fritz cause it just wanted something it could stretch it's legs with.

Back