• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC'ing Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That really is a winner of a chip!

Custom loop would probably get you higher, but I'm curious to see how high this chip will go on that tiny Vcore. :)

Looking good t1nm4n, you never know how for it'll go till you try. I've had a couple "new" chips lately that ran 5.0 well under 1.5v so you never know.

1.3125.jpg it ain't goin much higher on tiny Vcore, I had to bump it up past 1.3 to stay stable at 4.4, but temps were something else, I'm not it was reading it right, granted it's much easier to cool the house at night. Got tired and stopped the test so I could fold while I sleep, but before I stopped it these were the temps and V's/

4.4 at 1.3125 1 hour.JPG

here's screenie of voltages before F10.

Not sure how good these chips are, but they definatly take less V than older binned chips all the guides are written with.

I was reading one of the guides, Tips and trick from Johan's sig and let me first say /bow RGone, thank you so much for putting some of the greatest and easiest to read guides there, your explanation on Offset has helped a lot, this -z board has the option to go + or - offset, so I'm guessing if I have 1.3125 set and go minus it will lower voltage and if I have + set it will raise voltage. The thing that is really confusing me, and I might of misread it, but CnQ is the proc programming to lower multiplier? is that predefined, or is there adjustment for it somewhere that I've yet to find? I might be asking too much here, I always am askin too much from my CPU and everything else around me, but you can't an answer if you aren't brave enough to look the fools sometimes. :D

You're not changing the PStates in the cpu, so it will still drop to 1.4G with a bit less than 1v when idle if you choose to use the offset method. The only way to customize PStates that I know of is AMD MSr tweaker. You can get your stock voltage from CPUz. Go to about export to a txt file and take the x20 Pstate as you default volts then adjust the offset accordingly also taking LLC into account. It may take a few tries to get it just so but it does work well for keeping volts and temps down while idle/surfing.

Yeah I don't want to go that route, 1.4 will have to be good :). I just couldn't find a setting in the bios or anything that looked like it might change that in the manual, so I thought I'd ask here., thanks for the info though. I'm running into a bit of a wall @4.5 though, I think the heat from the daytime is causing me some problems.

Edit: Since I'm doing Blend, and it's abnormally warm in the house, (A/C is acting up I think) is it safe to run a bit higher than the than the 55/45 suggested 24/7 use? I mean it's getting up there, but it seems to rise in temp then drop a couple of degrees after everything gets saturated or something, haven't taken the IR Temp gun and pointed it at everything yet.

Here's more information than you can shale a stick at, but maybe you can gleam something I can't.

update.jpg

These are the set V's I have in the Bios.

1.3125a.jpg

Any advice (other than install that custom loop, still waitin on parts) would be appreciated. Yup, AiO aren't good enough for the FX 8 core behemoth power suction devices they are. Learning is getting exspensive, but on a side not, I will have lots of great parts to put together the best HPTC this side of the Red River.

Last edited:
t1nm4n if you remember, I believe it was you I recently told that the voltage to cpu and the heat went up about every 200MHz. So If it were not you, now it has been you. And your captures 'show it'.

Not a bad thing but you have played around at that 4.2GHz speed so long you got happy with temps and voltage. And I kept myself from saying that business picked up at 4.5GHz and 4.8GHz. The last being my preferred speed and what I tweak and get cooling to run at speed wise.

You are 'just now' reaching a speed at 4.4GHz where volts need to go up and HEAT surely will. No doubt or way around that happening. So a couple of things we usually say that 62c or less on the Package/core temps and 72c on the CPU/Socket temps is our to go for max temps. You are not nearly there yet even with your AiO cooler. Most of us prefer 1.5Vcore or voltage to CPU as our max voltage for 24/7 use. My GUESS is you will see 4.8GHz all cores on with YOUR cpu by 1.475Vcore. This purely based on what some later FX-8xxx cpus have shown in the last 16 mos or so.

So what to do. Loosen your thoughts on volts and temps. Go up some and you will likely get 2 hours P95 Blend mode stable with your current cooling. OR quit worrying with it until you get your full-on W/Cooling loop installed and even then you are going to have to adjust your perspective on what is max voltage and temp. Upward some since 4.8GHz is very powerful for my type of video work and make that any real work and 4.8GHz is going to be good for gaming.

When I get 'my' 4.8GHz zero'd in, then I go to using offset + Vcore and Cool N Quiet with balanced winders power manager to idle and type this in the forum at 1.4GHz and HOP on up to 4.8GHz for heavier lifting. Typing Vcore about 0.980V and 4.8GHz voltage about 1.48Vcore.

Taking every thing into account including forthcoming physical mods...that is where it seems you are.

RGone...

Keep in mind here ...... blend will run your CPU harder then you will push it 99% of the time. Unless you are doing some serious video editing where your CPU will be running pegged for HOURS on end you will never get the kind of temps you see from prime blend testing. Yes it is safe to run your temps to a max of 62*C Core / package and 72*C Socket / CPU temp. For a 24 / 7 temp ...... you can choose what you are comfortable with which will be like me dependent on your system and cooling at hand. I don't see anything in your screen shot that is screaming at me you still have some safe wiggle room with what cooling you have on hand now.

Take for instance when I have 3 or 4 BLU-RAY disks set up for compression on my system you see below in my sig. Depending on how much and what type of video is in the disk I am looking at 1.5 to 3 hours per disk of processor time to compress those disks to fit on a BD25 disk. During compression my CPU will be pegged 100% for about 1 min to 15 min at a time as it cycles through the disk depending on the quality I choose in X264. Even that does not stress my system as hard as prime does ...... it does come close but not quite.

OK, Thanks, I don't recall the words about temps going in steps, but it makes sense, you probably did tell me but I filed it somewhere in the memory banks and have sense written over :-/. When reading the main guide it says to keep temps at or below 55c package 45c core, I had forgotten about the 72c package 62c core general consensus, I was thinking it was like 60 package and wasn't taking into account that blend is stressing to the max, which won't be a true indication of normal use. sometimes it's good to hear these words gain until they are beaten into my head, I'm tryin not to be completely dependant on you guys, I do actually read, I guess I haven't been doing this enough to understand the different phrases each item is called by different manufacturers, so it gets me a lil confused. Guess it's off to see what I can get this puppy up too.

Hey t1nm4n, let us just put this in perspective.
1. You came into the forum with a Signature.

2. You did NOT have to be told what captures we needed.

3. You have appeared to do much homework on your own and more than most.

4. I agree terms and such vary from brand to brand and even sometimes within authors or writers.

5. You said ah shett man I forgot about that 62c / 72c thing...let me go study up some more. H*ll there is no better attitude which will likely bring good results for you.

6. Just hang in there, you have already made a big move toward some good cooling as we understand and when you get it all in and sorted, you know what to do since you have been doing it. Up multiplier. Up CPU Voltage as needed and watch the 62c and 72c temps and you will likely settle in above 4.7GHz. You are doing d*mn good man.

RGone...ster.

Hey t1nm4n, let us just put this in perspective.
1. You came into the forum with a Signature.

2. You did NOT have to be told what captures we needed.

3. You have appeared to do much homework on your own and more than most.

4. I agree terms and such vary from brand to brand and even sometimes within authors or writers.

5. You said ah shett man I forgot about that 62c / 72c thing...let me go study up some more. H*ll there is no better attitude which will likely bring good results for you.

6. Just hang in there, you have already made a big move toward some good cooling as we understand and when you get it all in and sorted, you know what to do since you have been doing it. Up multiplier. Up CPU Voltage as needed and watch the 62c and 72c temps and you will likely settle in above 4.7GHz. You are doing d*mn good man.

RGone...ster.
:cheers: to that Gonester, t1nm4n, it is a lot more enjoyable to help someone who is willing to help us and or do some research. These chips are a heck of a lot of fun to play with because there are a lot of knobs that are able to be twisted, so to speak. If you really want to learn how to tweak one of these Fx chips you have come to the right place. I would put the knowledge of the gents here, on overclocking these Fx chips up against anyone.

I will stress again though, detailed notes will be key. I have written down notes, a long the way since I started Ocing my first chip, a 955 Be. I can't tell you how many times I've gone back to my notes when I'm benching just to see what I did and or where I'm going wrong. Another thing I will mention, I personally have learned more from benching my chips/pushing to extremes then I would have just trying to find a daily Oc. This doesn't mean you need to get extreme cooling and it may not be your thing, it's just merely a suggestion. That all said keep doing what you're doing and ask what's what when you get a bit lost, we are more then willing to help. The bald one!!!! :D

I like turning knobs :)

Well I I'm not sure I ran into a problem, So I opted to stop worrying about volts until I get to 1.5 or 72c on the core and started to work my way to 4.5. I knew my 1.35 wasn't enough for that job and +.00625 would just waste time, so I upped it to 1.375 dropped a core testing. I had left the CPU_NB at 1.3125 so I upped it to 1.33125 dropped a core bumped it to 1.35 dropped a core and figured I should stop there (as it's stated that's about the max safe roughly). I started to increase V and at 1.4 I got black screen and system freeze, this is a first so I wasn't sure what to do, tied to search, but like all things, I'm not sure I', typing the right keywords into Google to get the right returns. I'm back at 1.35 core and 1.3125 CPU_NB which still seems good.

I couldn't find anything in any event logs on this computer to tell me if it was a memory related issues. So this is probably a memory related issue when it locks the system like that? How to trouble shoot it, not sure if just upping DRAMV is enough, it's only @1.55, I know my memory stays nice and cool I don't think I've ever temped it at anything higher than 36c so it should have room to go up in voltage, but not sure where to go here. The last temps I got to see (I don't have time to stare at the screen every second) were 62c core 55 package 52 north bridge 38 gpu, so nothing was really hot or warm for that matter, I love it when the sun goes down and the house stays cooler.

Edit: had to read the posts again, Trents, you did tell me about the temps to shoot for, not sure how I missed that, sorry bout that. GIve credit where it's due and take responsibility for my own screw-ups :shrug: Would upping the NB v help with this, as noted earlier I am running higher clocked memory, or would it be better to drop the multi on the memory and test from there to determine if it is memory related? (don't know why I didn't think of that sooner and I could of posted my findings after it was successful {still dreaming}).

Last edited:
I think lockups are often cache related. Is your cache ratio at stock? Try giving it a small bump.

Okay couple of things as I try and type into notepad so I can see what you wrote.
1. 62C on Core/Package and not the cpu socket.

2. I am going to just guess but I run 2 x 8G kits (4 sticks) of ram at DDR3-1940 and the two kits are not of the same speed and so one is overclocked a lot and the other just a little to get to that DDR3-1940. Never go over 1.28V on CPU_NB and most often CPU_NB is around 2600MHz give or take a little. I just have not found the CPU_NB to be that critical on "my" cpus. Some few, yes, but certainly I don't just throw voltage at the CPU_NB.

3. What you might do is to remove the two sticks from the Non-Primary Ram slots and test mostly with the 8gigs until we sort out the CPU speed increase and if removing the two sticks HELPS...then we know we have a ram issue.

4. I would also DROP the ram speed to DDR3-1866 and see if that brings better results. It might and again help point out the issue. You have to make allowances as you clock up to show what is causing problems. So hard to type all this out.

5. Usually a core dropped is indicating that it is close and needs a shade more cpu voltage. USUALLY.

6. So I would do what I could to remove the ram as a cause of problems as said above and then begin again to try the cpu upclock.

RGone...ster.

OK, makes more sense than some convoluted procedure involving goats pigs lots of beer and some old Duron processors to figure this out with.

WOW, I think I learned more in 3 hours than I have in 6 months, I have to give a big THANK YOU to RGone for teach this young pup a thing or two about OC'ing. I know I was too worried about volts (volts that weren't that high to begin with) then I needed to be. Got to the nitty gritty real quick, took two stick out and dropped from 2133 to 1866Mhz ram. I stopped phreaking about voltage and figured 1.45 is the most I would feel safe with on this AiO cooler, so I upped the CPUv to 1.45 and did (under RGone suggestion tried it at 4.6Ghz) a run with 23.0 multi and wouldn't you know it actually worked. So to make sure all four channels worked and it wasn't a conflict there, got the other two sticks put back in and low and behold a miracle happened, it worked again (no shiny rainbows flyin out of the case though :( ). Now it was on to discussing important thing like world peace and how low can I drop the CPUv cause temps were warmer than I felt comfortable with this lowly AiO cooler. They peaked above recommended temps for certain iterations of Prime and fell back below allowed temps on others. Highest peak was 69c package but dropped quickly to 59-60c socket was actually the same temp as the package oddly enough.

View attachment 165211

This was our first attempt at 4.6, probably plenty stable enough there, but I made a mistake when tryin a higher clock, forgot to drop the multi so when playin with the FSB to squeeze a lil more I kept getting failures.

View attachment 165212

View attachment 165213

Just don't think that will work no matter how you slice the pie. So when I failed a couple of attempts I bumped the v up .00625 and this is where it's sitting after a good 40min. there's just a lil room to play (each iteration is making the temps fluctuate more than I thought they would), this cooler is at it's limits.

4.6 @ 1.43125 40min.JPG

Incase I wasn't clear, thank you so much RGone (and everyone else on these forums for helping me, fear not I'll be picking your brains (not your noses) again here in the future. There's a never ending supply of knowledge and experience here that is invaluable, it's a shame it's not used as much as it should be (like I'm one to talk, wouldn't be here if I just listened the first time).

Just doin a 2hr stress to make sure it's all good at 4.6. I can work on the memory speed when I get better cooling options installed, but for now temps are looking good.

Ya know as I was reading through I was thinking of suggesting pulling two of the sticks out, damn Rbobgonstinator sniped me..... Good call on that...

t1nm4m, my chip in particular does not like running my memory really high. I have found with mine I'm usually better off running around 2000 Mhz and getting the timings tighter then trying to push higher. For my chip each bump in ram speed requires me to raise the Cpu Nb voltage. It took me a while to figure out what my chip needed as far as running my ram, for a while I couldn't run a set of 1866 G Skill snipers because of my lack of knowledge in that area. Over time I learned a lot more about it and finally am able to run them.

Having that chip at 4.6 is not a bad overclock at all good work!

I stopped phreaking about voltage and figured 1.45 is the most I would feel safe with on this AiO cooler
Oh and I had a giggle at this!!! These are Fx chips 1.45 V is a walk in the park for them. If you saw the volts we push on sub ambient you might pass out! :D

Last edited:
Oh and I had a giggle at this!!! These are Fx chips 1.45 V is a walk in the park for them. If you saw the volts we push on sub ambient you might pass out! :D

Or what I push daily :chair:

Looks good t1nm4n! Nice low vcore for 4.6. These newer binned FX chips are great compared to the older ones.
Now all you need is that custom loop, though I'm pretty shocked on how well that AIO is doing TBH :thup:

I would be willing to bet this is one of the new FX chips like my 8370 that only needs 1.48v is for 5.1GHZ........ not an old leaky one that needs more VCore.

though I'm pretty shocked on how well that AIO is doing TBH :thup:

Well not sure if T1 wrote it above but that is not a plain jane H100i because he has it in push/pull mode. Four fans not just two and even with all of that it is right up against the temperature bump stops. However I think he was already clued in that the H100i was not going to be up to the task in the rarified environment of plus 4.5GHz since he has gotten most of the pieces in for one hale of a custom water loop. I will not spoil his parts and pieces list for cooling but suffice it to say it is in n0 way undercooling when it goes in use. Couple of rads and couple of pumps just to tease it along. No shortcut in cooling in the offing is best I can remember.

He said something about aesthetics and all I could think about was Bassnut and his artistically pleasing tubing and rads and pumps and I think am close in my cross reference. Oh shett...I said was going to keep cooling mum. Dang ole faht.

I will say that it was nothing short of a pleasure and breath of fresh air to work with someone that did not just ask "how do I overclock my shett?" No are you sure about that? No it is in the bios...he just hopped in bios and made suggested settings and off to stable. Freeken awesome encounter. And he does not mind taking captures and pics for attaching. Wahoo. Now to prod him into at least one large rad and pump to get to 4.8GHz stable while he waits on water bling. Hehehe.

RGone...skisterzzzzzzzzzzzz

Back