• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ Vertex 2 vs WD Caviar Black

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rooster35236

Registered
I need a boot drive, for the same price I can get either a 60GB OCZ Vertex 2 or a pair of 500GB SATA 6Gb WD Caviar Black drives. I have older storage drives so the extra capacity would be nice but it's not necessary. :shrug:

Last edited:
Did you really need to ask? You're looking for speed, not space with an OS drive. If you haven't tried an SSD, prepare to be impressed.

Hey now my WD blacks in raid 0 put out some numbers close to a SSD. Not on seek but close to everything else.

And only a fraction of the price with a lot more storage.

Hey now my WD blacks in raid 0 put out some numbers close to a SSD. Not on seek but close to everything else.

Well that makes sense to me, my point was a single SSD is hella fast, but 2 ssd in RAID 0 would just be stupid fast.... like unreasonably so....

In R/W yes its close (buty still loses by some 30%). But the access time is on the verge of 50x better, same with IOPS... Hands down SSD's win if you can fit your stuff in the space.

get a pair of vertex 2's.... >.>
No thanks. No need. Had a set of regular Vertex in R0. Took longer to boot b/c of the RAID ROM/BIOS. All the games I play I would sit waiting for players in game.. couldnt get to a spot or get any kills b/c it restarts anyway. No point for me. But for those manipulating large files a lot. Its bangin fast.

No thanks. No need. Had a set of regular Vertex in R0. Took longer to boot b/c of the RAID ROM/BIOS. All the games I play I would sit waiting for players in game.. couldnt get to a spot or get any kills b/c it restarts anyway. No point for me. But for those manipulating large files a lot. Its bangin fast.

Who cares about boot times if your benchmarks would be off the charts!!! :D But in all seriousness, yeah 2 SSDs is probably not the best practical option

I did decide to go with the Vertex 2 for 120.00 and a 15 MIR, but I still went 150.00 over my budget, rather deal with 2 SATA 150 HDD's and 2 IDE HDD I also picked up 2 640GB Caviar Green's w 64MB cache for 30.00 a piece!

Back