• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Official IC Perihelion Test Results Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Joe, when are these results due? My regular desktop would be a nightmare to tear down with the old school WC system I have in it. I tried testing on an AMD64 system but didn't find a program that would tell me CPU temps. I can do it on a s478 system, just waiting on a new heat sink clip that should come this week... it was supposed to come last week.

CPU- Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Stock settings: 2.4GHz @ 1.248v
OverClocked settings: 3.5GHz @ 1.360v

Pre-Perihelion
Compound: Arctic Cooling MX-2
Ambient Temp: 21
Idle Temp:21,23,23,23
Load Temp:32,32,32,32
Heat Sink Fan Speed: 120.9 worth of rad, 18 fans at 5v (loop in sig)

Perihelion
Ambient Temp:21-22
Idle Temp:24,26,25,25
Load Temp:37,37,36,36
Heat Sink Fan Speed: 120.9 worth of rad, 18 fans at 5v (loop in sig)

Temp chart of all results
TempChart.jpg

Screen shots of temps

MX-2 results
MX2-Idle-Stock.jpg

MX2-Load-Stock.jpg

ICD7 results
ICD7-Idle-Stock.jpg

ICD7-Load-Stock.jpg

Perihelion results
Perihelion-Idle-Stock.jpg

Perihelion-Load-Stock.jpg

Perihelion-Idle-overclock.jpg

Perihelion-Load-overclock.jpg

i used a meat probe to get temps, here is where i used it for ambient temps. the fans are sucking air, not blowing over the probe.

tempprobe.jpg

Last edited:
Application guide is a good place to start troubleshooting.

Looks a little light on the application should look like this with a 5.5mm bead - This was tested by us and validated on a number of forums (including this one) using less will impact results negatively as shown in multiple tests.

proper%2520application.JPG

Looks like closer to 3.0mm. Cauliflower like extensions indicate absorption of air. The more viscous the paste the more you have to use. With thinner or less viscous pastes the "Air Zone" is further extended . wich does not seem to be aproblem with the MX2

The metric is viscosity, amount of paste to the area being covered.

Our new labels will include a 5.5mm "reference spot" to facilitate proper application.

3.JPG

In this example IC Diamond was applied between two glass slides and stress tested in an oven @ 150C for 20 hours. Applied 5mm bead of ICD. Photoshopped to highlight the air bubble halo.

Note the halo of air bubbles, this is why it is important to apply enough compound, because as the paste thins it spreads it reaches a maximum zone where air is reformed into the paste application between the sink and IHS

In essence you need enough compound to extend the air pocket zone outside the area of IHS contact otherwise you are riding on a cushion air(an insulator) preventing full contact/performance and leading to an early failure of the mount

halo.JPG

http://www.innovationcooling.com/applicationinstructions.htm

i will try the paste again tomorrow and see if i can't get better results. it's really hard to use imo. it's made harder in that i have to apply it vertically.

i will try the paste again tomorrow and see if i can't get better results. it's really hard to use imo. it's made harder in that i have to apply it vertically.

Thanks for the extra effort, that was something I should have highlighted at the start

so after putting what i though would be way to much, it seems as though it's still not enough...

new temps
idle
Perihelion-Idle-Stock-2.jpg

load
Perihelion-Load-Stock-2.jpg

and a picture of the tim.
Perihelion2.jpg

should i try for more tim JoeC? i'm trying MX-2 again and so far temps are lower.

EDIT:
here are some MX-2 results.

Idle
MX2-Idle-Stock-2.jpg

Load
MX2-Load-Stock-2.jpg

MX-2
MX-22.jpg

here is how much i applied for the third attempt. so far it seems to be on par with MX-2.
Perihelionapplication.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry for the sparseness here, but I'll add more as I get more tests done.

E8400 CPU, running stick on an IP35-E Abit motherboard. Stock Intel heatsink. Ambient taken with IR thermometer on top of CPU heatsink, and on base of of the benching station.

Pre-Perihelion Compound: Arctic Silver 5
Ambient Temp: 20°C on base, top of heatsink, 23°C idle, 26°C load.
Idle Temp: 37°C both cores as reported by Realtemp 3.40
Load Temp: 59°C, 62°C as reported by Realtemp 3.40
Heat Sink Fan Speed: 850 RPM
Load was from running Prime95 for 5 hours.

I'm switching out to Perihelion now to run overnight.

Removing the CPU heatsink for the AS5, it looks like I had pretty good coverage.

tim1.jpg

tim2.jpg

Perihelion
Ambient Temp: 20°C on base, top of heatsink, 24°C idle, 25°C load.
Idle Temp: 37°C both cores as reported by Realtemp 3.40
Load Temp: 50°C, 51°C as reported by Realtemp 3.40 (Over 20 hour on Prime95 had a max of 54°C, 57°C, but I don't have a ambient temp for that)
Heat Sink Fan Speed: 850 RPM
Load was from running Prime95 for 20 hours.

I'm not sure if I got a better mounting this time, as there was quite a reduction, but the idle temps were the same.

I'll grab pics when I switch over to IC7. I'll also be testing on my Xigmatec direct heat pipe heatsink with a Q6600 later this week.

Last edited:
Spawn-Inc;6386360]so after putting what i though would be way to much, it seems as though it's still not enough...

MX2 looks to have an excellent spread and contact. Perihelion not so with the extra paste in the contact area. Under compression the paste should resolve down to the average particle size so the contact area should resemble the MX2 contact area.

As contact looks good I would try increasing pressure. MX2 performance should increase as well but the margin of increase will be smaller than the improvement with the Perihelion as it (MX2) is closer to the optimum BLT (bond line thickness) already and Perihelion looks like it has a way to go.

i've been mounting it with the same pressure. i have the same amount of thread coming past the thumb screws. i did notice i could go farther down with the mx-2 vs. the perihelion. so i have used the tightness of the perihelion for the mx-2 even though i could put more pressure on it.

as things stand i seem to be able to get the same temps of MX-2 now.

i will leave my pc on over night and then try to put a bit more pressure on the block.

Sorry for the sparseness here, but I'll add more as I get more tests done.

Removing the CPU heatsink for the AS5, it looks like I had pretty good coverage.

Coverage does look good

I have had both the best and the worst results off the Intel stock sink. With the Intel sink I think spec is 45lbs with a +/- of 10 lbs. 80% of the people who try our compounds are over 50lbs which is a good point for any paste to start from.

Here is a mount where the user got 5C @ load over AS5. Note good coverage and thin paste amount on separation. excess is squished to the edges.

img5704wb3.jpg
[/IMG]

img5707zl8.jpg

The following had a +1C over AS5 - Low contact and low pressure

22A2-1.jpg

22A1-1.jpg

So what we have pretty much always considered to be too much, is just about the right amount with Perihelion? I just want to make sure I have the right amount when I do my testing next weekend.

so after testing on that large amount of thermal paste it seems to work better, but i never got full coverage on the chip.

Compound: MX-2
Ambient Temp: 21.7C
Idle Temp:22,24,24,24
Load Temp:34,34,34,34

Compound: ICD7
Ambient Temp:22
Idle Temp:23,26,25,25
Load Temp:35,35,36,36

Perihelion
Ambient Temp: 20C
Idle Temp:21,23,23,23
Load Temp:34,34,34,34

MX-2 screen shots - second application.

idle
ICD7-Idle-Stock-2.jpg

load
ICD7-Load-Stock-2.jpg

ICD7 screen shots.
idle for 2 hours
ICD7-Idle-Stock-2-1.jpg

load for 5 hours
ICD7-Load-Stock-2-1.jpg

Perihelion screen shots and photo of the paste - 3rd application and largest amount.

idle for an hour
Perihelion-Idle-Stock-3.jpg

idle for 2 hours with the same application as above
Perihelion-Idle-Stock-4.jpg

load after 1 hour
Perihelion-Load-Stock-3.jpg

load for 8 hours with the same application as above
Perihelion-Load-Stock-4.jpg

Perihelion3.jpg

Last edited:
Spawn- Inc you've done a lot work here much appreciated.

This is why I do these giveaways we have to refine our trouble shooting and identify mismatches on our expecttations. Would you be willing to do a contact and pressure test? You would get the full lab analysis for your own review.

We have been collecting waterblock data with some interesting results but I need more samples before I can draw any conclusions.

Qty is enough - application is fine

no problem, been fun messing with things again.

yes, i was trying to look for that program, but couldn't find anything. but i would think it's a bit more complicated then just a program and a picture.

Initial Test Results: MX-2, IC-D, Perihelion

Test Setup
Hardware in Signature

testbedtop.jpg
testbedbottom.jpg

General Info(Constants)
Vcore: BIOS-1.2565v, IdleCPUZ-1.2480v, LoadCPUZ-1.2480v
Fan Voltage: 10v(9.7v actual), RPM: ~2200, CFM: ~85

Methodology
- CPU is loaded with Prime95 Large FFTs for 30 minutes to allow loop to stablize.
- CPU core temperatures recorded with Real Temp 3.36.
- Ambient air temperature recorded three times. Once b4, once during and once after the stress test.
- Ambient temperatures taken as the average of three thermal sensors, 1" above the hub of each of the three rad air intakes.
- Water temperature input for delta measurement taken with inline teperature sensor 1" after rad outlet.
- System allowed to cool down until stabilized after each test to record idle water and core temperatures.

Results

MX-2: Pre Applied-5mm Dot Method
Ambient Air Temp Shot
Spread
Idle + Load

Required Data
Compound: MX-2
Ambient Temp: 25.8C
Idle Temp: 41,35,38,36
Load Temp: 63,59,60,57

Additional Data
Avg of three ambient air temp sensors: B4: 25.85 DegC, During: 25.80 DegC, After: 25.40 DegC.
Water Temperature Idle: 26.50 DegC.
Delta idle 1.10 DegC.
Water Temperature Load: 28.90 DegC.
Delta load 3.10 DegC.
Avg Core temperature idle: 37.50 DegC
Avg Core temperature load: 59.75 DegC

IC-D
Ambient Air Temp Shot
Application
Spread
Idle + Load

Required Data
Compound: IC-D
Ambient Temp: 25.4C
Idle Temp: 39,35,38,35
Load Temp:63,59,60,57

Additional Data
Avg of three ambient air temp sensors: B4: 25.30 DegC, During: 25.40 DegC, After: 25.35 DegC.
Water Temperature Idle: 26.30 DegC.
Delta idle 0.95 DegC.
Water Temperature Load: 28.80 DegC.
Delta load 3.40 DegC.
Avg Core temperature idle: 36.75 DegC
Avg Core temperature load: 59.75 DegC

Perihelion
Ambient Temp Shot
Application
Spread
Idle + Load

Required Data
Compound: Perihelion
Ambient Temp: 25.2C
Idle Temp:40,35,38,36
Load Temp:64,60,61,58

Additional Data
Avg of three ambient air temp sensors: B4: 24.90 DegC, During: 25.20 DegC, After: 24.95 DegC.
Water Temperature Idle: 26.20 DegC.
Delta idle 1.30 DegC.
Water Temperature Load: 28.60 DegC.
Delta load 3.40 DegC.
Avg Core temperature idle: 37.25 DegC
Avg Core temperature load: 60.75 DegC

Comments and Observations
- Yes, my core temperature results for the MX-2 and IC-D are exactly the same down to the core.
Didn't notice till I started compiling and it's just a fluke. If you look closely, the max and min temperatures differ between runs.
- Ambient Room temperature stayed between 23 and 23.5degC throughout the entire test series. Ambient air temperature at the rad intakes was noticeably,
but not significantly warmer at between 25.2 and 25.8degC.
- I tried 4 applications of the perihelion and finally got a decent spread(albeit with what looks to be WAY too much TIM). Twice with a 5mm dot method,
and once with a 6 or 7mm dot(as in my application link). And then once by spreading the TIM with my finger out to the edges of the IHS which also
produced better results than with the 5mm method. I am confident that the insufficient spread with the
5mm method was not due to uneven mounting, as I took great care each time.

Last edited:
Results of additional Perihelion applications

Reserved for further testing of Perihelion.

I'm not sure your first pics are big enough :chair:

EDIT:
Oh sure, now they resize and make me look silly. Bah :p

I'm not sure your first pics are big enough :chair:

EDIT:
Oh sure, now they resize and make me look silly. Bah :p

Yeah, that's the forums since the update, not me. TBH I like the end result, but it's kinda flaky getting there.

I need a few more water block contact/pressure samples if anyone wants to volunteer to do the sub test

Back