• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Official IC Perihelion Test Results Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Test Setup
E8400 E0 @ Stock 9x333MHz (Lapped grits: 600, 800, 1000)
Xigmatek HDT-s1283 w/ Bolt-Thru (Lapped grits: 1000)
1xPush Panaflo FBA12G12H 103.8ft^3/min

2preg7r.jpg

Methodology
- Since I have a HDT heatsink, I filled in the gaps between heatpipes before using your standard 5.5mm dot method. Filling heatsink gaps and 5.5mm dot was the method used on all compounds, whether it's the best method or not.
- Load testing was done with IntelBurnTest (Standard, 5 runs).
- 5 different vCores (listed below) were tested to check performance at higher temps.

Notes:
- The temps correspond to vCores: 1.154v, 1.200v, 1.248v, 1.296v, 1.344v (Tried to get 0.050v increments, turned out to be 0.048v).
- My sensors will not read lower than 37C.

Results
Load: 48, 54, 61, 70, 83
Fan Speed: 100%
Load: 48, 52, 57, 65, 74
dmtedw.jpg znscic.jpg
Load: 44, 49, 54, 61, 69
2vs2lhy.jpg 2mdrkt2.jpg
Load: 45, 49, 55, 62, 71
2d6y4z.jpg 2qs9b2o.jpg
Load: 46, 50, 55, 62, 71
<Still on this mount, so no pics yet>

Great pics, thanks. Obvious that The higher viscosity is a problem and can be observed in the spread pattern. I will take ant suggestions here as to an application that would produce a better compound application for the HDT.

The perihelion is less viscous than the ICD and I would think a manual spread on the flat portions of the heat pipes and pressing/filling spaces between the HP with maybe a finger in a baggie or coffee filter type spread might be more appropriate?

I need a few more water block contact/pressure samples if anyone wants to volunteer to do the sub test

What's involved in that? Is it something I can do?
Lemme know and I'll get on it tonight.

Great pics, thanks. Obvious that The higher viscosity is a problem and can be observed in the spread pattern. I will take ant suggestions here as to an application that would produce a better compound application for the HDT.

The perihelion is less viscous than the ICD and I would think a manual spread on the flat portions of the heat pipes and pressing/filling spaces between the HP with maybe a finger in a baggie or coffee filter type spread might be more appropriate?

A good method I've found is to fill the 4 gaps between the heatpipes and aluminum mounting plate. Then, use 2 thin lines, one down each aluminum strip between 0.25" and 0.5" in length. That method seems to cover the entire middle heatpipe and about half of the outer heatpipes. If you would like, I could test different application methods and post them up. Let me know if there is any specific method you would like me to check out.

I've been lazy and haven't put everything back into my case, so it's still ready to go. I need to post up the AS5 pics too, I have them but just forgot to post.

This is where we send out a contact and pressure film and you take a kind of impression with the film of your mount. I send it out digital analysis and we get back a report like this

Joe, when are these results due? My regular desktop would be a nightmare to tear down with the old school WC system I have in it. I tried testing on an AMD64 system but didn't find a program that would tell me CPU temps. I can do it on a s478 system, just waiting on a new heat sink clip that should come this week... it was supposed to come last week.

Joe? ^

Hope my clip arrives soon... I'd just use zipties but want consistent results.

A good method I've found is to fill the 4 gaps between the heatpipes and aluminum mounting plate. Then, use 2 thin lines, one down each aluminum strip between 0.25" and 0.5" in length. That method seems to cover the entire middle heatpipe and about half of the outer heatpipes. If you would like, I could test different application methods and post them up. Let me know if there is any specific method you would like me to check out.

I've been lazy and haven't put everything back into my case, so it's still ready to go. I need to post up the AS5 pics too, I have them but just forgot to post.

well looking at the perihelion spread & diamond spread the IHS looks to have enough paste.

Looking at the sink, the paste covered the center heat pipe OK although I would have liked to see it cover more to the top and bottom edges like the ceramiqe example.

The two outer heat pipes on the Perihelion the compound only extends minimally left to right.

Ideally the full area of contact with IHS and sink should be covered.So maybe a full manual spread is needed?

The impression on the IHS Looks like the two center bars are carrying more of the pressure load rather the heat pipes - I do not whether that is a compound viscosity issue ? sink base bends under pressure? or support bars are slightly higher than the HP's?

Might be worth a Contact test

Joe? ^

Hope my clip arrives soon... I'd just use zipties but want consistent results.

As long as you are headed the direction of testing and not waiting for Easter vacation all is fine.

This is where we send out a contact and pressure film and you take a kind of impression with the film of your mount. I send it out digital analysis and we get back a report like this

Well again, I'm here to help. So send me what you need to and provide instruction and I'll get er done.
The TIM showed up yesterday after work and I was able to get all of the testing done, compiled and posted by 2AM the next morning, so I should be able to get you some results fairly quickly.

i was wondering how that was done, send me what you need and i will gladly help. i'm curious to see how much pressure i have.

OK!

My tubes came today, I was just expecting a tube of IC Perihelion, but I also recieved a tube of IC7.. Side by side comparo it is! Should I start with my current as5 application? Then move to the other 2? Ive never reviewed anything before :)

installed paste first -Perihelion Second- Icd7 optional

just got my tubes in the mail today, about to start testing.
using OCCT to load up the CPU, and take temps, using the 1 hour test
test bed is E8400 @ 4.5Ghz(500*9) @ 1.376 Vcore(cpuz)
ambient unknown, but fairly consistent
edit, found myself a thermometer, and the Perihelion still loads up, and idles at the same temps, and thats with the temperature in my room at 19.5C

Arctic Silver 5:
Idle: 39C, 40C
Load: 59C, 59C

IC Perihelion:
Idle: 38C, 39C
Load: 58C, 61C

IC Diamond:
Idle: ?C, ?C
Load: ?C, ?C

Last edited:
A very warm welcome to you....

This is my second post in this forum, I really enjoyed the way existing members are greeting new members....

It's really a very nice and interactive forum, I feel great I landed here....

Regards,

Ambient is a key part to the calculation for performance - some measurement like wall thermometer, meat thermometer, medical thermometer etc. I do not expect 100% accuracy some will report higher some will report lower, if enough data points are obtained it should give us a reasonable final number. but some effort should be made to provide a number with tools at hand.

What's usually done is to normalize the data - Take your CPU temp then subtract the ambient temp which will give you the temperature rise above ambient. So you really can take the data at anytime

You can now compare the two data points on an equal footing with out the static noise of the ambient.

Many make the mistake of taking a casual approach to ambient temps when in fact it is the most volatile of your temp readings. Room temps are in a constant state of flux whether it is the constant cycling of HVAC or a natural temp rolling over from morning to afternoon warming or to nighttime cooling.

My own wall thermometer is sluggish to temp changes and responds only to big changes in temp like 2- 5 C. Comparing compounds with a 2 or 3C delta becomes problematic when using such devices when the error range exceeds the range being tested.

If you have ever used a precision thermometer you will have probably noted that just standing a couple feet away can cause a 1C+ temp change. There is a lot of temp activity at the micro level that is not apparent to the casual user - which is why we resort to averaging results while imprecise some guess their temps high, some low, good mount, bad mounts it all averages out to a fair degree of accuracy over the log run.

Consider Intel recommended ambient measurement at the fan - take 4 readings at the inlet with calibrated thermocouples and average the data points. This is due to fan recirculation and localized hots whose heat gets drawn in on one side or the other. I have seen as much as 5C between points.

I have another giveaway in process on overclockerstech.com The guy here used a rough approximation of the Intel spec for ambient first out of 400+ public tests. I do not expect everybody to be that rigorous but just take a second to note ambient temperature as accurately as they can with the tools at hand

Last edited:
I'm setup that I don't have a way to test ambient temps. :(

This is the board I have:
GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P AM3 with a Phenom II 945

I tried Easy Tune 6 and didn't see any ambient temp options.
So far I just use core temp to see my temps.

I don't have any other devices to test temp... wish I did.
Should I just post my results without ambient temps or does someone have a way to help me out?

Go buy a $5 cheapo thermometer. It only has to be accurate to itself, not the rest of the world. Kinda like the core temp sensors.

Go buy a $5 cheapo thermometer. It only has to be accurate to itself, not the rest of the world. Kinda like the core temp sensors.

But I don't like going to the stores... I live nearby a city and there's so much traffic lol... well not "lol"... more like :( :bang head

Back