• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

official M.N.S.R. at 1.7+volts thread....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dustybyrd

M.N.S.R. (My Northwood is Still Running)

i would like to know not the negative, but the positive...

how long have you run an o/c'd and overvolted Northwood?

please list:

the speed of the chip
the voltage you run it
idle temperature and under load
how long at that speed

I would like as many people to post....even if your voltage is slightly lower than 1.7v

the other SNDS thread only tells us an estimate of the number of processors that died...but says nothing of how many are still kicking....it could be 99%, who knows?

i'll start:

3.3ghz
1.7volts (actual, set at 1.75 in bios)
39C idle, 55C 2xprime95 full load
1 week :D

Last edited:
Ran a 1.8A at 2.85ghz on 1.65v for nine months (not constant, just off-and=on for gaming). Then ran a 2.4B at 3.2ghz on 1.65v for three months before it went to hell...

Ran a 1.8A at 2.85ghz on 1.65v for nine months (not constant, just off-and=on for gaming). Then ran a 2.4B at 3.2ghz on 1.65v for three months before it went to hell...

so are you saying one or both of these cpus died?

I could make a poll for you, but I'm not sure that will give you much info since you can only ask one thing in the poll. It's better to have them post amount of voltage, for how long has it been running at that vcore, percentage of time it's at full load, cooling, temps, and what CPU (etc.).

I could make a poll for you, but I'm not sure that will give you much info since you can only ask one thing in the poll. It's better to have them post amount of voltage, for how long has it been running at that vcore, percentage of time it's at full load, cooling, temps, and what CPU (etc.).

sounds good to me...and i like your idea of the details of the poll as well...

it just seems to me we should also know how many people run their p4's overclocked and overvolted without any problems and for how long...

that way we can make a better risk assessment

The 1.8A worked at 2.85ghz/1.65v for as long as I owned it -- it then did 2.4ghz at stock voltage for the rest of it's life (it's still running right now)

All of the same equipment I used on the 1.8A (memory, video, motherboard, PSU, et al) was then used on my 2.4B D1 stepping. It worked at 3.3ghz/1.65v for about nine weeks before it became unstable. I backed it off to 3.2, then 3.0, then 2.8 over a period of around a month, all of which eventually became unstable. It was put back to stock speed and given to my brother who isn't reporting any problems...

My last 2.4C processor was doing 3.4ghz on stock voltage for about four months without issue. I'm now running a 3.0C at 3.6ghz at 1.6v; we'll see how long it lives :p

2.4b @ 3.0 1.71v 45c load Always folding

Its been at this speed and voltage since i got the chip, which was about a year and 5 months ago :)

My point is a formal poll will NOT be all that useful. You'll get far better info letting people post like the way you're doing now.

I have ran insanely high vcore for very short periods of time with excellent cooling just trying to get a screen shot or a benchmark score, but I never run a Northwood above 1.65v for an extended period of time.

ok, i edited my first post...no poll....just post the info about your northwood...

[BBE]Jimbob, that's impressive and encouraging:

2.4b @ 3.0 1.71v 45c load Always folding

Its been at this speed and voltage since i got the chip, which was about a year and 5 months ago

keep 'em coming please...

I've got a 3.0C recently. I initially clocked it at 3.7Ghz on default voltage and then backed it down to the default 3.0 (I honestly didn't need the 3.7Ghz...who does? I use it to surf the web, do some work, and play the occasional game...which hardly justifies running at 3.7), however, thanks to my Asus P4P800 and it's f@#$ed up voltages, it fed the chip almost 1.9v once and ever since I can't get it stable even at sub-stock speed.

Needless to say, I'm RMA'ing both the Asus and the CPU. I'm ordering an Abit AI7 on Friday and will sell the Asus I get back from RMA. It will be the third one that has failed. Always had good luck with Asus...wonder what happened (and in case you're wondering, yes, all the components are new including the PSU which is an Enermax 450)

All 4 of my Northwoods degraded. I lost hundreds of MHz by overvolting @ 1.7+ volts. :(

None of them degraded using 1.65 or less tho.

IT7 2.53B @ 180 1.725v running 9 Months no problems temps at full load less than 52C (on MBM)

IS7 3.0C @ 250 1.725v running a months, Full max dual prime 55C
AI7 2.4C @ 295 1.65v running 2 months, Full max dual prime 49C

nst6563 said:
I've got a 3.0C recently. I initially clocked it at 3.7Ghz on default voltage and then backed it down to the default 3.0 (I honestly didn't need the 3.7Ghz...who does? I use it to surf the web, do some work, and play the occasional game...which hardly justifies running at 3.7), however, thanks to my Asus P4P800 and it's f@#$ed up voltages, it fed the chip almost 1.9v once and ever since I can't get it stable even at sub-stock speed.

Needless to say, I'm RMA'ing both the Asus and the CPU. I'm ordering an Abit AI7 on Friday and will sell the Asus I get back from RMA. It will be the third one that has failed. Always had good luck with Asus...wonder what happened (and in case you're wondering, yes, all the components are new including the PSU which is an Enermax 450)

Well if you don't need all those cpu cycles you could always FOLD.

I had my 2.4c at 3.6 1.72v actual folding 24/7 with 49ºc load temps

ah yes, good tread.
s.n.d.s. was only for b0 stepping.
i have no bad feeling running my non-b0 up to 1,8v, allways seti on.
... but this need water-setup. to bad, i have only one.
sl6rz over 3 weeks on 1,8v, p4m too
2 x c4m on near 1,8v, with air.
... my m0 need no vcore but the low-temp water-setup. :D

Last edited:
All 4 of my Northwoods degraded. I lost hundreds of MHz by overvolting @ 1.7+ volts. :(

None of them degraded using 1.65 or less tho.

what stepping were the ones that degraded?

what stepping were the ones that didn't degrade?

what speed were they and what are they now?

mine one 3.0c@3629,6 at 1,76v still alive

superpi1m36s.jpg

Back