• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

official M.N.S.R. at 1.7+volts thread....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
AudiMan said:
All 4 of my Northwoods degraded. I lost hundreds of MHz by overvolting @ 1.7+ volts. :(

None of them degraded using 1.65 or less tho.

Rio, this post is worth rereading. Maybe you got lucky, but SNDS is real... even for non-B0 stepping CPUs. Does not effect every CPU and often is dependent on cooling and length of time you have overvolted. How much you are willing to gamble?

holy cow, i was crappin' myself today...

i changed the video card to a Ti4800 and swapped out the 120mm NOISY Sunon fan for a GREAT 120mm adjustable speed enermax (highly recommended, 90cfm at 30db...and 50-60cfm at 21db...at 90cfm i don't hear it)....

but when i did my system wouldn't boot at 3.3ghz...and wouldn't boot at 3.2ghz at 1.7 volts either...and before it could do 3.2ghz at 1.65volts...

BUT, what happened was my RAM had been automatically reset in the bios to SPD (or 2,5,2,2)...which was too fast even at 5:4 ratio...for a while i thought my cpu was already degrading at 1.7v

when i set the RAM back to 2,7,3,3, I had no problem at all back at 3.3ghz and 1.7v...

whew...

Sons_of_Piru said:
mine one 3.0c@3629,6 at 1,76v still alive

woah now. thats way to much voltage for air/water, and i doubt youre on a prommy at that speed. tone it down a bit... btw how long have u had it like that?

I sold the first and the second is in storage now, but will be folding soon. Point is temp stats are by memory only and are probably off a bit.

P4 1.6a
@ 1.75 volts for over a year
Usage was about 2-4 hours a day
Temps were around 40 C idle 55 C load

P4 1.8 C1 stepping
1.70 Volts for 6-9 months (can't remeber exactly)
Usage 2-4 hours per day
Temps low 40's C load 60 C

Both were Abit diode temps.

No problems with either. Maybe the problem is people running high volts with poor cooling on non-diode temp mobos? Heat could have been the issue. Unless, of course, they had one under a promie with A LOT of voltage.

Not sure if I really believe in SNDS. Things like that tend to get really blown out of perportion. If I had water cooling I'd run this current CPU at 1.85 volts and see what happens, but it would get way too hot with air.

shortbus_ said:

woah now. thats way to much voltage for air/water, and i doubt youre on a prommy at that speed. tone it down a bit... btw how long have u had it like that?

It was in this way for a week, now it's at 3,5@1,65v and i'm on water

dustybyrd said:

what stepping were the ones that degraded?

what stepping were the ones that didn't degrade?

what speed were they and what are they now?

All of them degraded, but the M0's degraded the most. (3 M0's and 1 D1)

my 2.4C M0's were running at about 3.35 - 3.4 @ 1.7 Vcore
Now one of them only does 3.13 and the other 3.22.

My 2.8 M0 was doing 3.85 under the prommie, now it's only doing 3.5's.

My 2.4 D1 only degraded a few mhz, from 3.2 to about 3.08. Bot now I have it under water so it's back at 3.2.

All CPU's were changed from 1.7 Vcore down to 1.65 and I haven't experience any degrading since.

True story. (Give or take ~50-75 MHz)

(Note: Air, water or phase change doesn't seem to make a difference)

EDIT: I forgot to mention that it all happened pretty quickly. Probably within 8 to 12 weeks.

(I know, my sig has to be updated)

that seems alot like the cpu getting burned in. I had a barton 3000+ that woud do 2.5GHz on stock voltage, but after I ran it for a few weeks it took 1.85V to reach 2.3GHz.

Have you tried raising the voltage on them recently?

I have been running my 3.0 ES D1 chip with 1.68V for months, I tired 1.7, but barly got any improvement in stability. (It would be stable for a little while longer, but it would still crash at 3.9GHz)

how do you know if you havn't done it recently? How can you be sure it was the voltage making the cpu weaker and not it just getting burned in?

All of them degraded, but the M0's degraded the most. (3 M0's and 1 D1)

my 2.4C M0's were running at about 3.35 - 3.4 @ 1.7 Vcore
Now one of them only does 3.13 and the other 3.22.

My 2.8 M0 was doing 3.85 under the prommie, now it's only doing 3.5's.

My 2.4 D1 only degraded a few mhz, from 3.2 to about 3.08. Bot now I have it under water so it's back at 3.2.

All CPU's were changed from 1.7 Vcore down to 1.65 and I haven't experience any degrading since.

True story. (Give or take ~50-75 MHz)

(Note: Air, water or phase change doesn't seem to make a difference)

EDIT: I forgot to mention that it all happened pretty quickly. Probably within 8 to 12 weeks.

(I know, my sig has to be updated) [/B]

did you make any changes to the system (like in my case memory settings automatically became too tight after a change in hardware)?

or what about temperature changes in the case, etc....?

anyone else have a p4 northwood at 1.7+volts for extended periods of time without any problems?

i think i will just keep this 2.8c at 3.3ghz and 1.7volts and take my chances...heck it's only an 11% overvolt...if it can't do that at low temps (39C most of the time)...then that's a pretty sad chip

the thing is...1.7volts versus stock 1.525volts (1.54 actual) only gets me about 150 more stable mhz...

but i can't help it...i'm an overclocker and while i don't want to kill my chip...i don't think i will anyway...

Back