• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Official Prescott Overclocking thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
sbud said:
I'm getting good results with my 2.8E, no regrets, it'll do 250fsb at default. This replaced a 2.8C which couldn't even do 245fsb with 1.7v. Guess I got lucky :)

The ramsinks on the mosfets are sizzlin' hot :eek:

Cpu-Z.bmp

Like i've kinda been saying. Prescotts are hot. but so far all the overclocks have been the same, You know what you are getting.

I can buy 3 northwoods at the same time, same codes, same pack dates and everything and they will all clock different, I've had 3 2.4 MO's once. one would do 290fsb on air default volts, the second would do 275fsb default volts. The 3rd, wouldnt go over 225fsb in my vapo no matter how many volts. The ID's on the chips were close enough to come off the main die together.

As i've said all along it's all luck of the draw.

But these prescotts, Everyone seems to get 3.4ghz on air. 3.6-3,7 on good water. and more with Phase change.

They run hot, but they dont mind running hot. But they are slower in benchies. I do not like that.

But i do like the new P4's cheaper pricing!!!

Alright, last night, I pushed my 2.8 Prescott to 3.850 with 1.52v and was pushing upwards of around 55C under load. Damn, that's fricken hot !!! on water too. I've never seen over 42C load on any Northwood that I've had. I tried to touch the ramsinks on my mosfets and couldn't touch em for more than two seconds, damn hot. About ten minutes of Prime, my rig shuts down down, in the end, my Prescott killed my IC7-G. I've just returned the 2.8E, and will just stick with my good 'ol 2.4c. I just can't see running that Prescott overclocked for a long period of time.

I'd advise anyone to pay close attention to motherboard cooling when overclocking a Prescott.

I haven't tried putting sinks on my IC7 mosfets yet, but I did put them on my AI7 and the sinks never got warm even though the PWM temps were fairly warm. Could you post a pic o where andf how you installed the sinks on your mobo and describe exactly which ones got hot?

Here's a pic that I borrowed from the Abit site that might help.

IC7-lg.jpg

Last edited:
so these things run hot. Would a northwood fry at these temps? Does it matter that these things run hot other then the fact that you might not oc them that well and the motherboard has a chance of melting. I run my amd at around 50 to 60C for about a year now and found no problems. Maybe its time to change the idea that intels run cool and that the new intels at 90nm run "hot" but you still can oc them.

Has anyone fried their new cpu because the temps were too high?

sbud said:
Alright, last night, I pushed my 2.8 Prescott to 3.850 with 1.52v and was pushing upwards of around 55C under load. Damn, that's fricken hot !!! on water too. I've never seen over 42C load on any Northwood that I've had. I tried to touch the ramsinks on my mosfets and couldn't touch em for more than two seconds, damn hot. About ten minutes of Prime, my rig shuts down down, in the end, my Prescott killed my IC7-G. I've just returned the 2.8E, and will just stick with my good 'ol 2.4c. I just can't see running that Prescott overclocked for a long period of time.

I'd advise anyone to pay close attention to motherboard cooling when overclocking a Prescott.

sorry to hear that you lost your mobo. So the p4e is still alive though?

until a new stepping comes out a prescott is looking like a bad deal....

think i will stick with this 3.0c that does 3.9 on air.......

sbud said:

Sucks bro...../krag blows 'taps' for sbud's mobo..to-to-too. :(

Do you see any burnt marks on the pcb or burnt leads? If you do, where are they located?

sbud said:

this was what I was afraid of......
man that sucks.

I think we'll need more then just standard mobo cooling to run the OCed prescotts....long term.

mica

I just spoke to a bios tech at ASUS. According to him the P4C800-E does not support the 3.2E as of right now. It may work in some cases, but not all. My problem with it being read as a 2800mhz with a 14X Multiplier is a bios glitch and he stated that it is something that will be fixed in an upcoming bios revision. So I guess I have to wait around a bit longer.

batboy said:
I haven't tried putting sinks on my IC7 mosfets yet, but I did put them on my AI7 and the sinks never got warm even though the PWM temps were fairly warm. Could you post a pic o where andf how you installed the sinks on your mobo and describe exactly which ones got hot?

I find it real hard to belive your sinks on your AI7's mosfets weren't hot. I put Tweakmonster Ramsinks on the same mosfets that the Max3 are cooling. Dude, those suckers were xtremely HOT, in fact, I don't recall ever touching anything that hot in my computer, let alone the ramsinks. Every bit of voltage that I increased, the motherboard temps would increase at a higher rate than normal. Before the Pressy, I've never had motherboard temps go over 41C, that 2.8E had it upwards of around 55-56C. When my IC7-G died, I did detect a slight burnt scent that came from the motherboard. I immediately suspected the mobo as source of trouble and after after hours of swapping hardware and troubleshooting, I concluded that the Prescott beat the hell outta my Abit and left it for dead.

I'm not using my P4C800-D with my trusty 2.4C without sweating bullets about temps.

Last edited:
racpuc said:

sorry to hear that you lost your mobo. So the p4e is still alive though?

Ya, I popped it in my Asus board and it fired up but didn't even fathom keeping it knowing how it brutalized my Abit board. It went back the following day.

krag said:

Sucks bro...../krag blows 'taps' for sbud's mobo..to-to-too. :(

Do you see any burnt marks on the pcb or burnt leads? If you do, where are they located?

No burn marks or leads on either side of the board, looked very carefully for that. I'm 99% sure that it was heat related though, no doubt about it, the increases were way too substantial for it not to be.

Last edited:
Back