• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Official: What Have I Killed Benching Thread!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah, I think that's been fairly well documented at this point. Whether it's the socket or design that will be the "fix", the issue seems to be current. Clearly too much is just too much at some point. Every single one of these failures that I am aware of thus far has occurred on extreme cooling and extreme OCs (and high Vc). I ran both of my 1156 i7s in a couple of boards (all Foxconn sockets) on WC, SS, DI and LN2 many many many times before I had an issue. Apparently, the one more tic of Vc (1.648Vc) and +100MHz benching (5250) was where it crossed the line.

On the other hand, I've run 1.60Vc on WCing too, but obviously lower clocks due to heat (and thus lower current draw) and have yet to have a problem. I think the entire issue is current load and doubt anyone on less than extreme cooling is in too much danger unless running really, really big Vc and/or manages to get 5GHz+ for load on ambient cooling (not very likely ;)).

This can only mean one thing, the machine was on the floor, he had the tray open, and he got up and bam... broken optical drive.

I'm pretty sure i've done that, sometime in the dark history of my computing. I'm pretty sure i was rather annoyed with myself :p

Haven't switched pins on a connector yet though. Shorted 'em with the leads of a LED? Yup (rosewill OCP actually worked!), but not switched.

Really bummed about this one.....one of the fastest i5 750s in the world :(

Last time I ran it, I earned the wPrime 1024M gold cup. Pulled it out last week to work on the GBT P55 challenge, but it would not post....switch CPUs, it's fine....tried in two boards, same results :( RIP

Really bummed about this one.....one of the fastest i5 750s in the world :(

Last time I ran it, I earned the wPrime 1024M gold cup. Pulled it out last week to work on the GBT P55 challenge, but it would not post....switch CPUs, it's fine....tried in two boards, same results :( RIP

Tried the oven trick, or freezer trick? I know Vince tried both of those on one of his gem E8600s. If it's dead, and you've got nothing to lose, might as well :-/

See the mosfet in the middle of the pic, chipped away by the force of an electric arc created by the sort. The blue jumper is the CMOS reset, the whit header fan to the lower left of the blue jumper is where I put the jumper thinking it was the CMOS reset pins...let that be a lesson for all, don't fiddle with jumpers in poor light in your case.

Thats quite funny :)

AAHHHH....another major loss for me :(

My 6GB Kingston HyperX kit appears to be heavily degraded. Won't even pass memtest al DDR3-1333 9-9-9-31 speeds :mad: RIP mem.

This kit was donated to me by Matt. So it's not a monitary loss, but as I don't have any good backup memory, this will severely limit my scores until I can find replacements.

I've heard of SanMax DIMMs with the new Hyper ICs....I'll have a look at my local shop on Wednesday, but I don't have high hopes. :(

Back